Well I'm thinking of getting a small (like five watt), cheap tube amp to mid and use forbes room work so I can leave my baseman at my drummers.

What would suit a two or three hundred usdish budget, playing everything from frusciante to rammstein to john mayer to nirvana to oi polloi to the rsconteurs
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Valve Junior, V5, Super Champ, Blackheart, etc.
Quote by imgooley
Valve Junior, V5, Super Champ, Blackheart, etc.

Any specific one? Any specific mods?

Get a SS amp. Tubes aren't good for everything, this is one those things they aren't for. I suggest a vox valvetronix or microcube if you're looking for something versatile that'll sound good at low volumes.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Get a SS amp. Tubes aren't good for everything, this is one those things they aren't for. I suggest a vox valvetronix or microcube if you're looking for something versatile that'll sound good at low volumes.

Uhh no thanks? Ive had my fill of ss, including both the valvotronics and microcube. I want a small tube amp so I can crank it, where tubes really shine

Quote by zekk
Uhh no thanks? Ive had my fill of ss, including both the valvotronics and microcube. I want a small tube amp so I can crank it, where tubes really shine

oh, I though you wanted something for quiet, bedroom practice.

In that case, the Epi Valve Junior is really one of the easiest to mod, and one of the cheapest as well. They sound good by themselves, and mods make them so much better.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
oh, I though you wanted something for quiet, bedroom practice.

In that case, the Epi Valve Junior is really one of the easiest to mod, and one of the cheapest as well. They sound good by themselves, and mods make them so much better.

Alright, ive been seriously considering the vj. I hope to be getting a modular synth to run through it (with my guitar as the bass input naturally)

Well, the Crate amps (The V5 and the Blackheart) have larger speakers, with the added bonus of a master volume.

All of them have comparable tone.

What's your max price range?
A VJ with a nic OD pedal to get you into metal territory? I got a Balckstar HT Dist (for my birthday in 3 days, but I had to test it first ) and that might get what you're after.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Get a SS amp. Tubes aren't good for everything, this is one those things they aren't for. I suggest a vox valvetronix [BOLD]or microcube[/BOLD] if you're looking for something versatile that'll sound good at low volumes.

+1.

I've had my Roland Microcube for just under a year now, and so far it has been great. It's 20watt but you could always get the 15watt model (smaller and cuter :p
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
+1.

I've had my Roland Microcube for just under a year now, and so far it has been great. It's 20watt but you could always get the 15watt model (smaller and cuter :p

Ive had a microcube, and read all the other damn posts in the thread before you ****ing reply. This is gonna be used for cranked bedroom practice, small jams, and recording. I'm a tone nut, ss is a nono for me.

As to the guy asking for the price range, like I said a few posts ago, around 200 to maybe 300 usd. Less is better

+1 on the roland microcube. i love mine.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Get an Epi Valve Junior. Why pay $100 for an EQ and volume control when for $120 more you can get an MXR 10 band that will do the same thing alot better? Vj + MXR > then Blackheart.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Rooskiy
+1 on the roland microcube. i love mine.

Read the thread dammit. I've used both the small and larger cubes, not what I'm looking for.

Roland Micro Cube. 15w, can be loud, runs on batteries, with a power cable. Great Amp.

EDIT: never mind, just read the thread.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I'd say get the Blackheart. it was designed to be moddable.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
save money and buy a mesa! i spent less than 500 bucks on mine. used **** is cheap as ****.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by zekk
Ive had a microcube, and read all the other damn posts in the thread before you ****ing reply. This is gonna be used for cranked bedroom practice, small jams, and recording. I'm a tone nut, ss is a nono for me.

As to the guy asking for the price range, like I said a few posts ago, around 200 to maybe 300 usd. Less is better

Ooohkay sorry.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Buy used. Sweep ebay for bargain bin vintage amps. Maybe an Echolette or something like that?
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.