Ok, UG. I was asked today to give this kid guitar lessons. If he were like 12, it wouldn't be tough, but I don't really know where to start with this guy. He's 8 years old and I don't want to start him off on chords or scales. Theory and such is really boring when you just wanna jam out. I was just hoping to get some advice from you guys on where to start with him and such. Thanks in advance, UG.
What you'd wanna start of with depends on where the guitar stands in the kid's life. Does he/she want to be a professional musician? or is it just as a hobby and fun?
Ofcorse the kid would'nt know that at this stage.
Anyway, you canstart off by teaching the kid some really simple melody lines from the songs the kid likes. That'd help generate some interest
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
Start off teaching hin some chords and some stuff he can see some instant progress with. With that under his belt, teach him some rhythm from some of his favourite songs, he should enjoy that. Don't put too much on him too early if he's not too keen to learn it, there's little point.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
give him a little bit of theory too maybe how to make major scales and maybe after a few weeks teach him to learn a bit of sheet so he knows the names of all the notes
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Dan shreds
give him a little bit of theory too maybe how to make major scales and maybe after a few weeks teach him to learn a bit of sheet so he knows the names of all the notes

This could work, but I'm not too sure to tell you the truth. I mean, the kid's 8. I know that at 8 I would be more happy to learn some chords and some riffs from some songs I know than have a whole lot of theory put on my back.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Personally, I would give him some simple melodies from some known songs to have him practice fretting and picking correctly, but have it fun at the same time, and then once he starts to get used to it, start throwing in some chords as well.
songs he likes.
do the riff as you would, then teach him the chord progression, and then in one or two lessons he would be able to jam out to that track. make sure you use open chords, even if the song is in powerchords.

after 5 or 6 songs, teach him the minor pentatonic (only the first position), and the you can jam out to simple chord progressions.

hopefully, if he is into it, he should work out simple theory such as the notes of the fretboard and basic chord structures by himself after several months. however make sure oyu do more songs than technichal excersises and theory or else he will only learn to play the guitar well, not fun.

make sure that he is enjoying himself, and is learning what he wants. put his enjoyment before theory.

any 8 year old learning this instrument would only be willing to play his fav riffs, not becoming a talented musician (although in a few years time, he may turn from the aforementioned into the latter)
Quote by Grocelog
Ok, UG. I was asked today to give this kid guitar lessons. If he were like 12, it wouldn't be tough, but I don't really know where to start with this guy. He's 8 years old and I don't want to start him off on chords or scales. Theory and such is really boring when you just wanna jam out. I was just hoping to get some advice from you guys on where to start with him and such. Thanks in advance, UG.

mel bay book 1 (or anything similar)

I've taught many 8 year olds. they arent going to learn a riff or a song, and they won't be able to play a chord. Start with the very basics, like how to hold the pick and how to play a single note on the guitar. Gradually move on from there at the particular students pace. Method books are ideal for this situation.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
mel bay book 1 (or anything similar)

I've taught many 8 year olds. they arent going to learn a riff or a song, and they won't be able to play a chord. Start with the very basics, like how to hold the pick and how to play a single note on the guitar. Gradually move on from there at the particular students pace. Method books are ideal for this situation.

This. And don't teach them theory until they can play something, they won't see any logic or application to it and will just get bored.
Thanks for your help, everybody. These seem like really good ideas. I'll probably start off showing him the basics of fretting and picking. Then I'll probably move on to something easy (7 nation army, otherside, etc.). Thanks again.
Quote by Grocelog
Thanks for your help, everybody. These seem like really good ideas. I'll probably start off showing him the basics of fretting and picking. Then I'll probably move on to something easy (7 nation army, otherside, etc.). Thanks again.

Sweet. Let us know how it goes
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.