Is it safe to do this? As in from the line out from the head (extension cab output) to effects to cab. Id like to try it for a different sound, but not sure if something will go wrong?
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
Yes, I belive the ohm output of the amplifier to the cabinet will be altered.

Id Says stick with an effects loop after the preamp and before the power amp buddy
Yep, best bet is to just use the effects loop rather than going from line out -> effects -> cab as it will most likely cause impedance mismatches.
Effects pedals arent made to take the power output of an amp. Stomp boxes are made to take the low levels of guitars and preamps. So you would fry your pedals this way and if it was a tube amp probably fry the amp to.
I'll agree with everyone saying its a bad idea. Just don't do it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
those pedals are meant to withstand the output level from a guitar, which is, i don't know. a fraction of a watt. no way do you want to send in 50 or a hundred watts.
plus, they work with shielded cable, and speaker cable is unshielded.
you'll **** up your amp.
go with the effects loop.
or you're doomed.
umm, how do you expect to plug pedals into a cab?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
those pedals are meant to withstand the output level from a guitar, which is, i don't know. a fraction of a watt. no way do you want to send in 50 or a hundred watts.
plus, they work with shielded cable, and speaker cable is unshielded.
you'll **** up your amp.
go with the effects loop.
or you're doomed.
Although everything you say is generally correct, an amp wouldn't deliver 50 watts to the pedal. That's because Watt = Voltage Squared / Resistance. An 8 ohm speaker would require 20V to product 50 watts. 20V fed to a 1Mohm pedal would only result in about 0.4 milliwatts. However the question is whether 20V would cause part of the circuit in the pedal to burn out. The pedal would basically look like an open the amp. No problem with a SS amp unless the pedal shorted if it burnt out. In actual operation the pedal *may* handle the 20V without breaking.
Quote by fly135
Although everything you say is generally correct, an amp wouldn't deliver 50 watts to the pedal. That's because Watt = Voltage Squared / Resistance. An 8 ohm speaker would require 20V to product 50 watts. 20V fed to a 1Mohm pedal would only result in about 0.4 milliwatts. However the question is whether 20V would cause part of the circuit in the pedal to burn out. The pedal would basically look like an open the amp. No problem with a SS amp unless the pedal shorted if it burnt out. In actual operation the pedal *may* handle the 20V without breaking.

But consider, that 1mohm pedal is used to getting a few millivolts from a guitar. I think the the output from an amp is exponentially higher than that. While in theory you are correct, .4 milliwatts may be way more than any conventional stompbox could take.

In conclusion, if you don't like seeing your gear destroyed in spectacular fashion, don't do it.

Edit: even if your amp survives, this guy will come and make sure it's destroyed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvHDEQzYPU
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Sep 1, 2008,
But consider, that 1mohm pedal is used to getting a few millivolts from a guitar.
Yep, that's exactly what I considered when I wrote... "the question is whether 20V would cause part of the circuit in the pedal to burn out."
You can't place effects after the head because it'll be after the power amp, so the signal load will be huge. That's why the effect loop is there, so it's after the preamp but before the power amp.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
You will need.. A line out box (Suhr Iso), An effects unit, a seperate SS power amp and a seperate cab. Now you have a Wet/Dry rig which sounds the sh1t but costs a fortune.
These go to eleven...
Quote by Themitch
Is it safe to do this? As in from the line out from the head (extension cab output) to effects to cab. Id like to try it for a different sound, but not sure if something will go wrong?
got his sound. However, you need a dummy load on the head and a line out. You also need a power amp to bump the line level signal back up so it'll drive the speakers.

It's possible, just research things very carefully before doing so and if you've got any doubts don't risk it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com