Whats the differnce between a solid and semi hollow electric guitar? I'm assumin the tone on the semi is more like BB King since he uses a gibson semi, but can you still rock out on a semi without sounding too much like blues. Is it a good guitar for santana, or would that be PRS or gibson?
Considering Santana uses his signature guitars, which are made by PRS (full solid-body) I suppose you could get away with a semi-hollow, but that depends on what semi-hollow it is. Could you be more specific?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
a semi hollow guitar is different from a solid body firstly because the hollow body absorbs higher frequency harmonics because it isn't as stiff as a solid body electric. Second, because a hollow body guitar has more surface area, and isn't as stiff, it is able to produce resonance for some notes on the fret board. This makes for a very cool "swelling" Effect if you use it well. You can often feel the guitar shaking if you put yourself in front of the amp and play one of these notes.

Whether the guitar affects your distortion preferences has everything to do with the type of distortion you like. A hollow body is like having a solid body where you can't turn the tone knob up very high. It will be tough to get a good metal or classic rock sound out of a hollow. steady overdeiven tones are where these things sound the best. Well... That and jazz.
Last edited by rtcx86 at Sep 1, 2008,
of course you can rock out with a semi hollow.

see Eric Clapton with Cream.
Semi-hollow>solid body.
paul gilbert uses his hollow body quite a bit now as far as i can tell

PG rules RoaR111!!1 ("")_(0-o)_("")
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
izzy used one a few times with gnr, think he had one at the ritz video if i remember right? think iv seen richard fortus or whatever his name is use one with gnr aswell
Quote by al112987
of course you can rock out with a semi hollow.

see Eric Clapton with Cream.

Depends on the year though. His most famous tones were done with the Les Paul/SG really.

But yeah you can rock out with a semi. Just look at Malcom Young, his whole career his main guitar has been a semihollow Gretsch!

Quote by Deep*Kick

PG rules RoaR111!!1 ("")_(0-o)_("")

If it wasn't for the fact that his semis are solidbodies painted as semis.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Deep*Kick

You mean his RG with FAKE f holes painted on?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man