My teacher has been teaching me to hold it like a classical guitar, while it is comfortable; ive heard its bad to practice like that sitting down because if you want to ever play standing up you lose all your muscle memory because automatically have a different technique and all the pros hold it on the outside of their hip unlike classical. But when i try playing with it on the outside of my hip the guitar just isnt stable and it wobbles and i cant see where my fingers are as well compared to as when im in classical postion(which is probably good practice in the long run, since i have to rely on feel). I feel like i cant really progress with my playing until i find a comfortable way to hold it. What do you guys recomend? Could you please post some pictures of the way you hold it
Well, first of all, do you play classical guitar? If not, playing like you are is totally unnecessary. If you have a strap, standing with your guitar becomes much easier. You'll get used to it eventually.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Actually, if you have your strap set to the right length, when you stand the guitar should be in about the same place as the classical position.
i use classical position when i practice jazz, shred etc. but for most stuff i either stand up or play in the regular position. but if you say you can't see your fingers when you sit with the guitar on the outside of your hip, your either using a V, a BC Rich (or some other weird shaped guitar) or your doing it wrong. sit with it on the outside of your hip with the neck pointing diagonally up. or play standing if you are worried about muscle memory.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

ok but using the classical position isnt going to prevent me from doing certain things or playing certain styles later on down the road? Eventually I want to beable to play the same kinda stuff as John Frusciante, im not sure what style that is
Last edited by eric crake at Sep 1, 2008,
when you say "classical" possition does that mean you sit the guitar on your left leg? (assuming your right handed)? if so just move it to your right leg, and thats pretty much the same as standing up(for me at least)
but when i put it on my right hip the back end of the guiar sticks out and i cant hold it up against my chest, so its kinda wobbly
what kind of guitar do you have?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
What kinda guitar are you playing? if it's wobbly put something under your right foot to raise your right leg slightly. That should help a lot.
its a Takamine with a dreadnot body, i really like playing in the normal postion, because the classical just doesnt look cool at all
Quote by eric crake
its a Takamine with a dreadnot body, i really like playing in the normal postion, because the classical just doesnt look cool at all

Caring about anything other than the music = fail. Who cares what you look like, people should be listening, not watching.

Anyway; I practice all three ways, depending on how I feel and what kind of situation I'm in at the time. Nothing is really constant in the world of guitar playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i agree i just want to make that if im going to practice in a certain postion(classical) where im not limimting myself to what kinds of music i will beable to play later on. Like i want to play that John Frusciante kind of stuff, like funk and lots of improvising; i just want to make sure i can do that from the classical postion?
Quote by eric crake
i agree i just want to make that if im going to practice in a certain postion(classical) where im not limimting myself to what kinds of music i will beable to play later on. Like i want to play that John Frusciante kind of stuff, like funk and lots of improvising; i just want to make sure i can do that from the classical postion?

If you can't play something from the classical position with enough practice it can't be done IMHO.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
you could. but, like you said, if you want to play live, or even have a band practice, sitting down in general isn't a common thing to do. and it will take some adjustment. but once you find a good position for your strap, you'll be fine.
if you're that worried about it, practice some time sitting down, like your teacher showed you, and maybe half the time standing up.