Poll: Made In Korea: Friend or Foe?
Poll Options
View poll results: Made In Korea: Friend or Foe?
Friend
108 83%
Foe
22 17%
Voters: 130.
Page 1 of 2
A good guitar (and, likewise, a lemon) can come from anywhere.

I've played cheap Yamaha Pacificas that play better than certain American Strats I've picked up.

Likewise, I've played American guitars that play like something from the bargain bin.

Granted, the American made stuff probably has a better good-to-bad ratio than Koreans, but you never know what golden nugget you might find.
*reported*

no vs threads, and this is just going to degenerate into an argument anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
*reported*

I'm asking this question because how else am I going to know where I should go for a quality guitar. Hardly what you think it is.
This really isn't a vs thread anyway. Its not asking the better of two things, just whither or not made in Korea guitars are of any quality.

Honestly I think Korean manufacturers are just as capable of producing a decent mass produced guitar as any other. Most schecters are made in Korea, and those get tons of love on these forums.
Cant say how true it was but there is a video on youtube a guy compares a korean bc rich to a american gibson and its a detailed video and bc rich wins...
most of my guitars are made is korea, i have no complaints...my jackson is obviously my best guitar but i wouldnt be in a hurry to purchase another mia guitar...ive had more problems with the acoustic side...not really build wise but more the wood choice and grain...all in all korean made guitars have come a long way and save you a **** load of money....

lame "report" by the way
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
THe korean PRS se line or guitars are amazing, obviously not as good as the americans but at a sixth of the price they are amazing, good job korea!
my bass is from korea and it plays/sounds/looks fantastic. Haven't had any problems with it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Korean guitars are fine, except when they're late on their shipment. I have to wait 6 weeks for my Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR to be built/shipped on a freighter/set up in california/shipped to michigan (And this is a caution to anyone ordering one, they're backed up quite a bit you will be waiting a while.)
my hell raiser plays better then alot of guitars i've played, never had a problem with it exept the imput jack but i've owned it for 3 years
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I am stationed in Korea; not Korean. I have recently just bought a blackjack atx c1 and its well made.
Quote by sirlimecat
my hell raiser plays better then alot of guitars i've played, never had a problem with it exept the imput jack but i've owned it for 3 years

Good to hear. Two weeks left on mine, can't wait.
Foe. Seriously, how can you complain that the quality control is going down, when you haven't played every guitar from the USA to prove it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by steven seagull
*reported*

Oh Steven. Always gettin' people into trouble. Good times, good times.

anyways I like Korean guitars. I've accepted it as a fact of life.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
My AL2000 is a great import. When I was living in Korea in the Early 90's there were definitely some nice instruments over there.
I have a Epiphone Flying V (the glass black one) and its made in korea actually and beleive it or not i love it! It an amazing guitar i was really suprised

i say FRIEND!
Some of the factories (Like Sang-Jin, or Okua) use the spare parts left from orders to make their own guitars. At Sang-Jin they produce all of Jackson's necks (Unless you have a custom order, it was made at Sang-Jin..Even the American Jacksons), some of Fenders necks, and some of B.C. Rich's bodies. They sell these guitars under the name "Kimaxe"

My Kimaxe was a custom order from this place at one time in the mid 90's. It's got a Jackson neck on it, with a Soloist styled body. Sold new in Los Angeles from the Kelly & Michael Co. for $1900.

Found it in a Flea Market for $150 bucks. The Original Floyd Rose it had was worth that by itself
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
my korean made ibanez sz720 is amazing quality, I am not complaining at all.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Friend. Korean made guitars are really good, second only to MIJ guitars. Honestly, most MIA guitars are a bit too expensive (well, at least Gibsons are - MIA fenders are really nice guitars for the price)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've got a schecter c-1 plus and a neck thru BC Rich warlock, and they are my 2 favourite guitars...

I say friend for sure...

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
I say friend since American mades are more expensive and lack in quality control now.

O.o

The classic despise what you can't get xD.

Yeah it costs more money but it's worth it. You won't have to spend 100$+ sending your korean guitar to the guitar shop getting it fixed because either

1. It's buzzing
2. The pick ups are F'ing up
3. Pick up suck
4. Nut's screwed up
5. all of the above
korean guitars are great for the price. i actually never understood why the best guitars were made in USA. why not another country? fender killed it's japanese shop because it was getting too good. wtf is that?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Fender didn't kill it because it was getting too good? o.O

USA has the best woods, electronics. We're a 1st world country with higher craftmanship workers. That's why. Also better metals and materials.
Quote by nan0
O.o

Yeah it costs more money but it's worth it. You won't have to spend 100$+ sending your korean guitar to the guitar shop getting it fixed because either

1. It's buzzing
3. Pick up suck
4. Nut's screwed up
5. all of the above

it's never like that... i bet you never even played a korean guitar. even japanese guitars are like that. american guitars do that too! my friends MIA strat buzzes.. and that's so easy to fix.

and you probably take the guitar to the shop to get restrung huh? oh and intonated. and to fix action. wow.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
it's never like that... i bet you never even played a korean guitar. even japanese guitars are like that. american guitars do that too! my friends MIA strat buzzes.. and that's so easy to fix.

and you probably take the guitar to the shop to get restrung huh? oh and intonated. and to fix action. wow.

Lol, look at this guy.

I own an epiphone explorer, and I've played countless other korean guitars. I bet you're failing in school judging by the way you type.

I don't need to take it to the shop jerk off ass, I know how ot intonate it and change the strings properly. I don't eat up mommy's and daddy's money like you do.

Capitals, learn to use them.
Quote by smb
There's good and bad MIK, just like there's good and bad stuff made everywhere.

+1

This entire thread seems to uphold the idea of "try-before-you-buy," quite well. That way it's less likely you'll get a turd. There are both well and poorly made Korean and American guitars. lol.
Looks like he realized he shat on himself.

Remeber, I did this to you.
Quote by nan0
Lol, look at this guy.

I own an epiphone explorer, and I've played countless other korean guitars. I bet you're failing in school judging by the way you type.

I don't need to take it to the shop jerk off ass, I know how ot intonate it and change the strings properly. I don't eat up mommy's and daddy's money like you do.

Capitals, learn to use them.
Then why do you assume other people must have to?

Assumptions are the mother of all **** ups.

And FYI, having owned American, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian and Indonesian guitars... the Korean has needed the least work. The American needed to go to a qualified luthier for full fret work. On the two Japanese guitars I've had, I've had to replace the electronics myself on both. One of the Chinese guitars needed proper fret work doing to it (though I can't be bothered to take it in to get it done so it just sits there unused), the other Chinese needs nothing, I'm only upgrading the pickups simply because I'm picky about my tone. Finally, the Indian and Indonesian guitars both needed their electronics changing, but I'll get around to doing those once I've got my Korean Epi back from refinishing (while I'm happy to change electronics and adjust set-up msyelf, I'm not going to attempt a full refinish myself, especially since I want this to be as good as posisble anyway).

I've spent probably in the region of £4500-£5000 so far on guitars (not counting amps, pedals, etc), all with my own hard-earned money, I do everything I can myself (only paying others for work if it's a real pro job that almost nobody would attempt themselves), and the American has needed more work done than any of the others.

So there goes all of your posts down in flames, have fun!

Also, I love the delicious irony of this...

Quote by nan0
I bet you're failing in school judging by the way you type..

Quote by nan0

USA has the best woods, electronics. We're a 1st world country with higher craftmanship workers. That's why. Also better metals and materials.
You don't seem to be too clued up on the ol' English yourself.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Sep 1, 2008,
Oh boy here come the E- gay guardian angels/lawyer again. Seem's like every noob gets them.

I was never talking to you, and you could be lying, you can't prove anything. I don't know what guitar you got, but no company is perfect, although if you're getting USA made stuff, there's a much better chance of it being well made than a guitar that was built in Jackie chan's back yard in two minutes...

As for the "Fender" thing, I was just quoting him. I know I know, it's only natural to stand up for your lover I understand. And no, I'm not gonna "flame" with you, or my posts.
Well, 90% of Korean guitars are Samick made. Samick's Greg Bennet series is a bit 'lack-luster' but the Epi's and Jackson's I've played are decent. A lot of the time the quality is a toss-up. But they still have a better good to bad quality ratio then China and Indonesia. I have to say that US and Japanese built (and German as well... but you don't see them that often) have the best ratio quality.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Yeah Korea has better than indoesia and china of course. The BC riches are pretty nice guitars.
Quote by MrFlibble
And FYI, having owned American, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian and Indonesian guitars... the Korean has needed the least work. The American needed to go to a qualified luthier for full fret work. On the two Japanese guitars I've had, I've had to replace the electronics myself on both. One of the Chinese guitars needed proper fret work doing to it (though I can't be bothered to take it in to get it done so it just sits there unused), the other Chinese needs nothing, I'm only upgrading the pickups simply because I'm picky about my tone. Finally, the Indian and Indonesian guitars both needed their electronics changing, but I'll get around to doing those once I've got my Korean Epi back from refinishing (while I'm happy to change electronics and adjust set-up msyelf, I'm not going to attempt a full refinish myself, especially since I want this to be as good as posisble anyway).

Just out of curiosity, what are the instruments in question? And what would cause the need to "replace electronics" in a guitar anyways?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Schecters are made in Korea.

/thread

Also, you can't compare US made Carvins to Korean guitars.
Lost interest.
Quote by nan0

Japan is a first world country. So is South Korea, and that's the one that makes the guitars.
Quote by nan0

Is this why USA luthiers use imported mahogany?
Is this why USA luthiers use imported hardware like Schaller and Gotoh bridges?

Quote by nan0
O.o

1. It's buzzing
3. Pick up suck
4. Nut's screwed up
5. all of the above

Due to me having a job, I can buy any guitar I want. The fact that I choose non-american made guitars is that I've had bad experiences with them in the stores and in the past. Sure if it's a Gibson $4,000 LP I'm almost 99% positive it will be great. Why pay that much when you can buy a lesser known brand that has great quality. I notice a lot of people have this notion that when it's made in the U.S. it is better automatically. That's a very biased way of seeing things. I'm not saying the U.S. doesn't make great guitars, but so do a lot of other countries as well. It's not the countries making the guitars, it's the people who work in that country. People who pay attention to what they do will make a better guitar regardless of nationality.
Page 1 of 2