Page 1 of 2
I have a 1,200 dollar Fender Deluxe Stratocaster that I'm guessing wouldn't be nearly as much money as I paid for it if it was not a "Fender". Same with Gibson's. They are all rip offs. I have played cheap Korean made and Japanese made guitars that have felt and sounded better.

Stupid brand names jackin' up the price *grumbegrumbeshnarblegrr*

/rant
My Gibson was listed about 1300. It is a good quality but I would guess It woulda been around 900 if it wasn't for the name.
This is why I always prefer Schecter.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
I base my purchases on sound.

Fender Strat - worth it. You can easily tell the different between a real strat and some Epiphone ripoff. Or a Squier.

Les Paul - Better than a Gibson Les Paul, in my opinion. Worth it.

Ibanez JTK1 - Has a great sound, but I could easily find something similiar.

Parker Fly P12 - I like it better than my Strat.
It'd take another Parker to swap it.

But that's the price you pay for brand name, quality almost-guaranteed equipment.
My jag was japanese, fender japan = value for money, my tele was bought used off ebay, well worth it, £100 cheaper than todays mexican standards, but the quality of the guitar is much much better.

You pretty much nearly always have to pay for name, even the companies like tokai, greco, burns etc. etc. that have been around for years making illigitimate copies of fenders n gibbys to much better quality than fender and gibby are building a name for themselves.
Washburn X50 Pro - £300
Without the name - ~£300

I can't see much difference, I bet my Ibanez is hiked up though.
Quote by Horlicks
Washburn X50 Pro - £300
Without the name - ~£300

I can't see much difference, I bet my Ibanez is hiked up though.

Every time I think Washburn, I think of Fall out Boy.
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Every time I think Washburn, I think of Fall out Boy.

Nuno Bettencourt springs to mind here.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
I owned a Gibson Les Paul once. £1400 it cost me, and the price of the one I got has actually gone up by another £150 since then.

... My Koreon-made Epiphone Joe Perry Boneyard LP cost £800 (the newer Chinese ones go for £500 though) and it plays, sounds and feels far better though. The Epi's never had a proper setup and is unmodded, and is basically faultless. My £360 Chinese-made Rally LP copy is equally as faultless, only the pickups are a little on the lifeless side (which I'm fixing with a pickup change anyway).

The Gibson? It needed two setups to get it playing right, then it needed the frets addressed (about 2/3 were filled, the rest had to be outright replaced), then the pickup switch needed to be replaced, and it still wasn't anywhere nears as good as the Epi.

Suffice to say, I resold the Gibson. I'm spending the money instead on having the Epi professionally refinished (going for a purple/indigo burst), and on a few more upgrades to the Rally LP (I'm thinking maybe having it routed so a Floyd Rose can be installed in it).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
My ESP costs 420, but I think it's worth far more than that. Maybe twice that even.

First: you dont have an ESP, you have an LTD.
Second: its not worth 420, but then again, 420 isnt much anyway. So there wont be a huge rippoff on that guitar.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
First: you dont have an ESP, you have an LTD.
Second: its not worth 420, but then again, 420 isnt much anyway. So there wont be a huge rippoff on that guitar.

Wow. A tad picky, aren't we?
Have you played that guitar? It plays and sounds far better than any Gibson/Ibanez/Fender/Dean/and so on, priced in the thousands I've played in a guitar store.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Have you played that guitar? It plays and sounds far better than any Gibson/Ibanez/Fender/Dean/and so on, priced in the thousands I've played in a guitar store.

I don't think it's being picky at all; calling an LTD an ESP is like calling an Epiphone a Gibson. No matter what you think of the instruments and their price it's just wrong.

Anyway; to be honest with anything you pay a premium for a name but as long as you shop around you should be able to find a good deal on just about any instrument you want and you should be able to find something that plays well within your price range anyway without having to pay too much of an extortionate name-related price.

In my opinion the only company that really suffers from some kind of price-hike because of the name is Gibson anyway; all the other guitars I've ever played have seemed pretty reasonably priced, no matter what the price bracket actually was.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
My Ibanez RGT42BP guitar costs 1490.17 dollars... It's worth buying it, sounds good to me and just my taste... The guitar is excellent..
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Footswitch to Toneblaster 250.
Korg AX3000G
and it'll cost the same without the brand name.. And by the way, the brand name is better. Don't want a guitar without brand name unless I design the guitar myself..
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Korg AX3000G
Mine says "Fender" on the headstock, and it was only $80....

it also says "STARcaster"
O O

___
Quote by guilty
and it'll cost the same without the brand name.. And by the way, the brand name is better. Don't want a guitar without brand name unless I design the guitar myself..

not really.

you can get amazing guitars which outdo gibson or fender for about £500 if you go for a less known brand. These will normally serve better as an instrument than any Gibson or fender - take Fret King for example. This is just my opinion, but i'd rather use an espirit 3 than any strat, tele, jaguar... well maybe not a classic player jaguar but yeah, or les paul, SG, explorer... the espirit is just a brilliant instrument. Also, no gibson and especially not fender, in material value is worth more than £1000.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

If that were true, everybody would own this guitar. You are just lying to yourself. You know this isnt true. I have played LTD 400/500/600/1000 series, and they werent as good as 'guitars priced in the thousands' (which doesnt mean that they arent great for their prices), so how would an F250 be better?
You have a good guitar, for its price, but stop lying to yourself.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Probably about the same I paid for it. Carvin tends to not charge you up the ass.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
My Ibanez was £300, which is perfect for the price, great trem, decent woods, great feel and sound.
My Carvin was £600, which is again perfect for the price, wilkinson trem, decent electronics, great feel etc etc.
I think the production level Fenders are pretty good value for money. Some of the signatures are a little steep and the 'relic' finishes I think are rather expensive.

Gibson are overpriced and one hears stories of QC issues - although all the ones I've played (about 3 ) have been pretty good.

I think PRS are overpriced for mass production guitars. I still desperately want one though...

Some of the prestige level Ibanez are a little overpriced IMO - especially the Vai and (to a lesser extent) Satch sigs - though all sigs are overpriced so that's a bit moot.

It all amounts to the law of diminishing returns - you pay a lot for that last 5 or 10%.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by LP_CL
If that were true, everybody would own this guitar. You are just lying to yourself. You know this isnt true. I have played LTD 400/500/600/1000 series, and they werent as good as 'guitars priced in the thousands' (which doesnt mean that they arent great for their prices), so how would an F250 be better?

You're only lying to yourself if you believe it comes down to anything other than personal taste; obviously he just likes his guitar an awful lot, leave him be.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're only lying to yourself if you believe it comes down to anything other than personal taste; obviously he just likes his guitar an awful lot, leave him be.
Word on an epic scale.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Materials + labour = Cost price of guitar.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
In that case a gibson should cost around, £600? Rather than £1200.
And a Fender around £500 instead of £700.
Unfortunately it's not as easy as material and labour costs.
I reckon my MIA Deluxe Ash Strat would have been about £550 if it wasn't actually a Fender.

Thanks to the Education Commitee of my town, I didn't pay much more than that.
my caparison cost me £1000, if it had been any other brand it would've cost me about £5000
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by LP_CL

Because it's not the same guitar. That's how.
You and I don't have the same experience with guitars. My experience happens to tell me, that all the big brands expensive guitars fail in comparison to this one. I happen to really like my guitar. I happen to think it's worth more than it costs. Get over it.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't think it's being picky at all; calling an LTD an ESP is like calling an Epiphone a Gibson. No matter what you think of the instruments and their price it's just wrong.

Anyway; to be honest with anything you pay a premium for a name but as long as you shop around you should be able to find a good deal on just about any instrument you want and you should be able to find something that plays well within your price range anyway without having to pay too much of an extortionate name-related price.

In my opinion the only company that really suffers from some kind of price-hike because of the name is Gibson anyway; all the other guitars I've ever played have seemed pretty reasonably priced, no matter what the price bracket actually was.

If you say so.

Gibson does do this REALLY bad. From my experience, most Epiphones are better than most Gibsons for a lower price.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

From my experience, most Epiphones are better than most Gibsons for a lower price.

That explains alot.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by King85
Materials + labour + added charges + warranty= Cost price of guitar.

Fix'd
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Blompcube
not really.

you can get amazing guitars which outdo gibson or fender for about £500 if you go for a less known brand. These will normally serve better as an instrument than any Gibson or fender - take Fret King for example. This is just my opinion, but i'd rather use an espirit 3 than any strat, tele, jaguar... well maybe not a classic player jaguar but yeah, or les paul, SG, explorer... the espirit is just a brilliant instrument. Also, no gibson and especially not fender, in material value is worth more than £1000.

Well,

your opinion really digs me... I would love to buy a sweet guitar with wonderful sound. However, I prefer other things too... Those with good body designs, not those bc-rich designs.. I consider this Espirit guitar, maybe I'll buy it someday.. Thanks..
Guilty as charge
Gear:
Ibanez RGT42BP (pimped)

Amp:
Ibanez Toneblaster 250

Other:
Tremolo from Boss
Korg AX3000G
I was wondering this aswell, but also with signiture guitars.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Martin Scott
I got a £2,000 limited edition Gibson. I reckon it would have been about £50 without the Gibson name.

You spent 4000 bucks on a Gibson? Man...I really hope not. The only Gibson I'd EVER by, is the Zakk Wylde signature Custom shop, just because of the neck...it fucking plays like butter.
Quote by Eric 666
You spent 4000 bucks on a Gibson? Man...I really hope not. The only Gibson I'd EVER by, is the Zakk Wylde signature Custom shop, just because of the neck...it fucking plays like butter.

in the UK its almost impossible not to spend that much on a Gibson. A les paul standard costs £1500 here...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Im pretty sure my spalted maple tele would cost 1200-1400 if it wasnt korean instead of 800 because its amazing.
David St. Hubbins: Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.
- Spinal Tap
I payed about 1250 euros for my american strat shut up
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Esparko
Nuno Bettencourt springs to mind here.

Paul Stanley anyone?
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Well, considering you have a low/mid range LTD made out of agathis with all-ESP hardware... Don't take it personally if we doubt it beats all those guitars you said.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Page 1 of 2