The strings dont really slip from the bridge saddle... does it? so the only part that i can see that actually needs to be replaced would be the nut?

Yet i know im wrong, so please explain why replacing the entire floyd bridge is needed
Well I can't see why either, unless there IS something wrong with the bridge. Could you clarify this...has someone told you the bridge needs changing?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
Well I can't see why either, unless there IS something wrong with the bridge. Could you clarify this...has someone told you the bridge needs changing?

Well, with crappy licensed floyd rose's, people say "just replace it with an offical floyd"... but... shouldn't they JUST replace the locking nut?
The problem is that the knife edges which connect the bridge to the supports wear down easier on the licensed floyds which prevents it from returning to proper tuning as well as one made of superior materials.
Yes, I see what you mean now... Iv'e had an Ibanez edge 3 bridge for years and everybody says they suck. Funny thing is, Iv'e never had a problem with it and it keeps perfect tune for weeks with heavy playing.
My advice would be to just wipe it down after playing and perhaps lubricate the knife edges every year, but floyd roses and their imitations all eventually wear out sometime.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by haggardguy
The problem is that the knife edges which connect the bridge to the supports wear down easier on the licensed floyds which prevents it from returning to proper tuning as well as one made of superior materials.

thankyou... the internal knifes edge... makes sence now.
If your having problems, replace it. You might aswell upgrade to an Original Floyd Rose while your at it.

If you aren't having any problems, keep it. It might have a bit of a bad name but what's the point of replacing it if it works fine.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Could someone tell me whats actually meant by the "knife edge" please?
Quote by turtlewax
Could someone tell me whats actually meant by the "knife edge" please?

The floyd rose is rocking on a knifes edge, inside the body. It is not fixed to the body, it is held down with springs. The reason it swings backwards and forth when you pull/push the tremelo is that the Floyd unit is rocking backwards and forth on the edge of a piece of metal, secured down with springs.

Personally I don't like Floyd Rose's, you lose a fair bit of tone and sustain just so you can do some ****ty dives that grow old after a few weeks. But it's all personal preference.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by zacharydak
The floyd rose is rocking on a knifes edge, inside the body. It is not fixed to the body, it is held down with springs. The reason it swings backwards and forth when you pull/push the tremelo is that the Floyd unit is rocking backwards and forth on the edge of a piece of metal, secured down with springs.

Personally I don't like Floyd Rose's, you lose a fair bit of tone and sustain just so you can do some ****ty dives that grow old after a few weeks. But it's all personal preference.

i thought i woudl get bored after a few weeks but i didnt, its nice to have a floyd there for when you need it, and you can do more than just dives and squealies btw
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking