maybe this belongs in a different forum but no one looks at those so screw that..

so i got the nirvana With The Lights Out box set and pop the DVD disc in and go to the scene selection screen. a little tune starts playing that sounds oddly familiar. after wondering about it for like months i figure out its an early version of The Pretender by Foo Fighters.

so my question is does anyone know if Dave started the song while he was still in Nirvana? Did he even write the song? or did he write it later after Kurt passed nd just stuck it on the dvd? just wondering cuz im a nirvana freak
Kurt wrote it.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretender_(song)

Grohl also told XFM "The Pretender" wasn't initially planned for the album and happened really quickly.

"That song didn't happen until later on in the session. We didn't go into making the record with that song and it happened after we recorded a lot of stuff. Up until that point, I didn't know if we had a good opening song or not. So after we recorded it, I thought, 'oh this is perfect, we have the song to open the record,' and it just became everybody's favorite song. ... It's the type of song that I look forward to opening shows with and it came together really easily. We put that song together in, I don't know, a day, whereas a lot of the other songs we worked on for weeks."
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
He's talking about the recording and arrangement.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
Quote by Farether
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretender_(song)

Grohl also told XFM "The Pretender" wasn't initially planned for the album and happened really quickly.

"That song didn't happen until later on in the session. We didn't go into making the record with that song and it happened after we recorded a lot of stuff. Up until that point, I didn't know if we had a good opening song or not. So after we recorded it, I thought, 'oh this is perfect, we have the song to open the record,' and it just became everybody's favorite song. ... It's the type of song that I look forward to opening shows with and it came together really easily. We put that song together in, I don't know, a day, whereas a lot of the other songs we worked on for weeks."

dave makes it sound like he just came up with it on the spot or somethin. wiki pedia says the song was recorded March-June 2007... but the box set was made in 04 i think? goddamn its another nirvana conspiracy lol anyone else know anything about it?
I just popped in the DVD and clicked over to the scene selection screen. In my utter honest opinion, it sounds not even remotely the same; no matter how you twist it.

Making something out of nothing, in my opinion.
"but i don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here."
~lewis carroll
Quote by MoonBoots432
He's talking about the recording and arrangement.

right, so kurt couldve wrote but ive also heard dave wrote a lot of songs back in the day
Dave wrote/co-wrote a lot of their stuff, he was an all around muso back then as well.
Quote by hydriplex
I just popped in the DVD and clicked over to the scene selection screen. In my utter honest opinion, it sounds not even remotely the same; no matter how you twist it.

Making something out of nothing, in my opinion.

i just did too lol just to make sure and it definitely sounds a lot like pretender just a reeeeeally early version of it.

but yeah i know it really doesnt matter but like i said im kinda a nirvana freak and knowing would make me happy but if no one knows ill just assume dave wrote it while in nirvana nd just didnt do anyhting with it til 15 years later. sounds like a good story to me