Right so about a week ago i ordered a nice Walnut Jackson style soloist body from Warmoth custom guitar parts, got it routed for one Pup and and a FR, it's not here yet so i thought I'd get some idea on what i'm doing to it.

I want to finish it with tung oil, but have no real idea on how to do it. All i know is to apply a coat all over the guitar, wait till it soaks in for 2-3 days, wipe off excess and do it again maybe twice. But is that all? Does it need like grain filler, when i'm finished am i supposed to put anything else on it? or what. Have i got it all worked out?
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Last edited by SG310user at Sep 1, 2008,
I also want those questions answered

I think that tung oil is not that durable and you need to put tung oil from time to time. Its cheap and easy. From what i read the most durable hand applied varnish is oil based polyurethane.
All the tung oil I've used on furniture had varnish in it. It's not as protective as nitrocellulose of course, but it does help. Tung oil soaks in to the wood well and will give you a smoother, more natural finish than polyurethane (which can tend to be sticky). It can be left dull or fine sanded and buffed for a more satin look.
The nice things about tung oil are that it can give you a natural, silky feel; and it doesn't add nearly as much mass to the guitar as nitrocellulose or polyurethane so it allows for more free vibration.
Quote by cedricsmods
All the tung oil I've used on furniture had varnish in it. It's not as protective as nitrocellulose of course, but it does help. Tung oil soaks in to the wood well and will give you a smoother, more natural finish than polyurethane (which can tend to be sticky). It can be left dull or fine sanded and buffed for a more satin look.
The nice things about tung oil are that it can give you a natural, silky feel; and it doesn't add nearly as much mass to the guitar as nitrocellulose or polyurethane so it allows for more free vibration.

Polyurethane is sticky? I am thinking on using that on the whole guitar including the neck. I think that the stickiness can be sanded especialy on the neck.
2-3 days? Nope.

Get pure tung oil. No additives or varnish or anything. Rub it on with a rag, let it sit as per the instructions of the container. Wipe it off, repeat.

For my neck, it was: sand to 600 grit, apply tung oil, wait 10 minutes, wipe of excess, wait an hour, do it again. 3 times. I did that for 2 days. Now its great.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by superbadboy2
Polyurethane is sticky? I am thinking on using that on the whole guitar including the neck. I think that the stickiness can be sanded especialy on the neck.

I don't mean sticky like it had honey spilled on it; I mean sticky like a high gloss neck as compared to an oiled neck. The point of polyurethane is to have a protective coating on top of the wood, that's why it is often used on furniture. Oil with no additives will allow your hand to slide more easily up and down the neck.

Quote by jscustomguitars
How about doing a rubbed cellulose finish?

Please elaborate... I would like to hear about rubbed cellulose.
I love tung oil finished necks!!!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Thanks guys, I am going to use Pure tung oil.

I've found out now grain fill, then tung oil.

And whoever posted that they wait an hour for the pure tung oil do soak in and then did it for two days, you're crazy! One thin coat is supposed to be left for a week before another one is applied!

But thanks for the input guys1

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

I don't know where you heard that about sitting for a week - but it's wrong, you'd just be wasting time.

I've done it and I'd put on a heavy coat with a rag, hang for ~7 hours and repeat to taste.

You might want to consider what LP Addict told you though about walnut checking in the sun - it's not as if you can't undo it, but if you spend months finishing it it'll be royal pain in the ass to redo.
With a rubbed cellulose finish its basically the same as oiling I think, im gonna give it a blast. If you dont use grain filler it'll sink into the grain and look pretty natural but harder than an oil finish, it'll be very thin too if you only pit a few coats on.
you do know that if u dont reapply the tung oil every few months or so, it turns the wood green, right?

other than that, tung oil is amazing!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by SG310user
Thanks guys, I am going to use Pure tung oil.

I've found out now grain fill, then tung oil.

And whoever posted that they wait an hour for the pure tung oil do soak in and then did it for two days, you're crazy! One thin coat is supposed to be left for a week before another one is applied!

But thanks for the input guys1

Well, I might be crazy as a ****house rat, but I ended up with an excellent neck.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^^ I've never used tung oil on a guitar, but I finished my pine bed and oak bookshelf with it over a year and a half ago and they are both still brown.

Quote by jscustomguitars
With a rubbed cellulose finish its basically the same as oiling I think, im gonna give it a blast. If you dont use grain filler it'll sink into the grain and look pretty natural but harder than an oil finish, it'll be very thin too if you only pit a few coats on.

I will be interested to hear how this goes for you. For me, keeping the finish very thin seems to be one of the main reasons to go natural. (That and the seductive beauty and silky touch).
Well. i'm getting some tung oil tomorrow, so i'll do a few practice pieces before my body gets here.

Oh, i AM grain filling it.