so i started to play guitar long ago, for about 2 years. just play around with it but not too seriously. 6 months ago, i got my finger fractured and have to let it heal for 3 weeks but after it heal, it wast straight out like it normally would but instead it bend out a bit. now i am seriously getting to play guitar again so i just wonder with finger like this, does it effect how i play? and does anyone know that how i can fix my finger?

on side note that i can play guitar pretty normal right now, just have to bend my finger bit more than i usually would before but i dont know when i get into high lvl of guitar playing and have to shred and stuff, will my finger can play just as normal

i'll attach image for u to see how my finger

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image011hi7.jpg
Just might need a bit longer to heal? maybe? You should be ok. you'll get used to it and play to fit your situation.

tony iommi plays with no fingertips ^_^
Quote by Deece
Just might need a bit longer to heal? maybe? You should be ok. you'll get used to it and play to fit your situation.

tony iommi plays with no fingertips ^_^

ummm...didnt he turn to lefty playing?
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by akm_202
ummm...didnt he turn to lefty playing?

dont think so. Didnt he drop tune to make it easier on the fingers?
Quote by saberrocks
Break it again and let it heal in the other direction

It sounds pretty eccentric to say this but if you went to the doctor they would probably do that. Although...it is just a finger. Not sure if they would do it for such a small imperfection.
Quote by anerasedcitizen
dont think so. Didnt he drop tune to make it easier on the fingers?

He severed his middle and ring finger on his right hand while working at a factory. He tried playing righty but couldn't so he played lefty. This was before he played guitar im pretty sure. The accident made him try learning guitar after he heard about Django. He also made plastic finger tips to make playing easier.
Last edited by Ze_Metal at Sep 1, 2008,
the only thing you really can do is probably have it rebroke then have it in a splint to heal....but id let it be for a while longer just to see what happens.
Quote by Ze_Metal
He severed his middle and ring finger on his right hand while working at a factory. He tried playing righty but couldn't so he played lefty. This was before he played guitar im pretty sure. The accident made him try learning guitar after he heard about Django. He also made plastic finger tips to make playing easier.

Kind of.

He started playing the guitar in his ealier life but couldn't make the jump to pro but he actually had the accident on his last day of work in his job at a sheet metal factory before turning professional (1965 by my reckoning). He almost gave up playing but decided to make a go of it after hearing about Django's accident and continued playing; he used extremely light strings, to begin with the were actually banjo strings because they didn't make guitar strings light enough at the time and also made fake finger tips out of plastic bottles melted into shape and covered in leather for grip. The downtuning actually came about 6 years later on Master of Reality.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I fractured my finger when I was 14 in a hockey game (I played goal) and my pinkey is slightly bent and I got by. I found this guy on YouTube and haven't complained about a thing since...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSnUwA6c67k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3gMgK7h-BA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eTRs2bPN2Y

....then I found this guy....WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiDoYIflqAY

I'll never complain again....bless these guys (bowing head in respect)

Chris
Oh and I forgot to mention the guy i usually mention in situations like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ

Rick. Friggin. Renstrom.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
holy hell, that some crazy stuff. so u think i should keep it like this or rebroke and let it heal?

i am not being ungraceful but they dont have a choice to recover from their disability (dont know if that the right word) but i do so if make my finger straight again gonna make my guitar playing experience better then that just all i want
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Kind of.

He started playing the guitar in his ealier life but couldn't make the jump to pro but he actually had the accident on his last day of work in his job at a sheet metal factory before turning professional (1965 by my reckoning). He almost gave up playing but decided to make a go of it after hearing about Django's accident and continued playing; he used extremely light strings, to begin with the were actually banjo strings because they didn't make guitar strings light enough at the time and also made fake finger tips out of plastic bottles melted into shape and covered in leather for grip. The downtuning actually came about 6 years later on Master of Reality.

Yeah, I wasnt sure if he played before the accident or not. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah yes Rick Renstrom, he's a beast. I've never seen him up close though, this is a good video for this. I can't even see, does he have fingers on his right arm?
Quote by zerocrack
holy hell, that some crazy stuff. so u think i should keep it like this or rebroke and let it heal?

i am not being ungraceful but they dont have a choice to recover from their disability (dont know if that the right word) but i do so if make my finger straight again gonna make my guitar playing experience better then that just all i want

How much is it effecting you? If it's effecting you a lot go to the doctor. No sense in playing with in imperfection if you have a choice otherwise.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Yeah, I wasnt sure if he played before the accident or not. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah yes Rick Renstrom, he's a beast. I've never seen him up close though, this is a good video for this. I can't even see, does he have fingers on his right arm?

I think he does but definitely not all of them. Check out the video in the related video for Rob Rock's "In The Night"; the camera's really close to Rick for most of the song.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think he does but definitely not all of them. Check out the video in the related video for Rob Rock's "In The Night"; the camera's really close to Rick for most of the song.

That's an awesome video as well. Man, I wonder how long he's been playing. Instead of moving his wrist side to side to side, like most guitarists do he moves his up and down. I couldn't imagine playing like that, it's amazing.
Theres nothing you can do about the direction of a fractured finger.

I fractured my pinky finger and it bends at an angle now. Its common for them to change direction after a fracture.

Just practice is all i can suggest.
Been away, am back
All my fingers except 2 are gnarly and crooked from breaking and breaking them =\. It may take some adjusting but there's not much else you can do - personally, I don't notice much of a difference. Yours must be at a pretty extreme angle if it's that noticeable :p