This never really occured to me before, but we are all familiar with the theory of water displacement, when you get in a bath, the water level rises because you displace some of the water.

Do sunken ships and planes have any real affect on the sea level? As well as ships still sailing, there's gotta be a hell of a lot of them down there especially after the wars.

I'd assume it is still too smaller numbers to have any real effect, but I'll leave it to the UG eggheads
Quote by sofubar
This never really occured to me before, but we are all familiar with the theory of water displacement, when you get in a bath, the water level rises because you displace some of the water.

Do sunken ships and planes have any real affect on the sea level? As well as ships still sailing, there's gotta be a hell of a lot of them down there especially after the wars.

I'd assume it is still too smaller numbers to have any real effect, but I'll leave it to the UG eggheads

Done deal.

Good thought process though.
"I'd assume it is still too smaller numbers to have any real effect..."

Answered your own question.

EDIT: Oh man. The one time i get to be smart, jackolas goes and ruins it!
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
This one time at band camp, we sunk a ship and the water levels rose, so I put a flute in my pussy.
Quote by titsmcgee852
"I'd assume it is still too smaller numbers to have any real effect..."

Answered your own question.

EDIT: Oh man. The one time i get to be smart, jackolas goes and ruins it!

How's the welding?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by sofubar

Well you do have a point, also the ships that are currently floating will have a impact on the level. It must happen to a degree.

There are ferry's, supply, standby, oil tankers, sub's and inflateable fun boats. Theres thousands of each and they're probably displacing a ****in large scale of water. Every year more and more boats are being made and they're all ****in massive.

I think you should get in touch with mythbusters.
Very efficiently. I made a guitar rack (:

We should hijack this thread too, amirite?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by 006schecter
This one time at band camp, we sunk a ship and the water levels rose, so I put a flute in my pussy.

this man is a genious
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
ships that have sunk have no water displacement, because they float by displacing water, the reson they are not floating, and are sunk, is because they are not displacing water, therefore not affecting the sea level. the only amount of water displacement by a sunken ship is that of the actual structure, wheras a ship that floats displaces the volume of matter - that is everything including the air within the ship - below the surface of the water. when you look at videos of deep sea searching in ships, the ships are filled with water, so not as much water is displaced because the water that WOULD be displaced by the sunken ship has gone inside the ship or plane rather than been displaced, if that makes any sense?
makes sense in my mind
the mythbusters idea is a gd one
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Polar ice caps melting my ass!
Its all the boats fault!

Seriously though thats a pretty good thought, although like what others have said theres not enough boats to make any reall effect.

Quote by chippythingy
ships that have sunk have no water displacement, because they float by displacing water, the reson they are not floating, and are sunk, is because they are not displacing water, therefore not affecting the sea level. the only amount of water displacement by a sunken ship is that of the actual structure, wheras a ship that floats displaces the volume of matter - that is everything including the air within the ship - below the surface of the water. when you look at videos of deep sea searching in ships, the ships are filled with water, so not as much water is displaced because the water that WOULD be displaced by the sunken ship has gone inside the ship or plane rather than been displaced, if that makes any sense?
makes sense in my mind
the mythbusters idea is a gd one

EDIT: Thats what i was thinking... I just couldn't be arsed to type it
Quote by Final !mpact
Polar ice caps melting my ass!
Its all the boats fault!

Seriously though thats a pretty good thought, although like what others have said theres not enough boats to make any reall effect.

EDIT: Thats what i was thinking... I just couldn't be arsed to type it

But what happens when boats do start causing the sea to rise?
It would be impossible to say whether ships caused a rise in sea level because sea levels are rising because the ice caps are melting anyway.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
their to small to make any difference
itd be like crying into a swimming pool
hell even less then that
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
Quote by breadstick
It would be impossible to say whether ships caused a rise in sea level because sea levels are rising because the ice caps are melting anyway.

Its all a conspiracy, you ever thought the goverment might have just made ice caps up so the hippies dont go after boats?

Think about it.
Have you ever seen one of those round world map things in school or used Google Earth? If you turn it so that it shows the whole pacific ocean there's pretty much nothing else in there other than Hawaii and other little islands. You think a few boats make a difference in this?

I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
Have you ever seen one of those round world map things in school or used Google Earth? If you turn it so that it shows the whole pacific ocean there's pretty much nothing else in there other than Hawaii and other little islands. You think a few boats make a difference in this?

Hahahahha. Awesome pic
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
You wouldn't be able to measure it, because water level changes that often.

I quite like the idea though.
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew