So I'm a bit confused about all the Vox amplug mini headphone amps. I'm wanting to get one, but I'm looking for one that can provide some decent clean tones and can produced some decent distortion tones (GnR, ACDC, Velvet Revolver).

I've been reading up about the AC30 model, which is supposedly the only one that can produce clean tones. I've listened to the demos on the Vox site and I like the distortion it gives, though i wouldn't mind a bit more

I've listened to demos of the Classic Rock one, it provides a nice distorted tone, though I'm not sure if it has some form of clean tone, which is the other 1/2 I'm looking for

Right now its more of a decision for me between the AC30 and the Classic Rock model, can anyone give me any advice?
i have the AC30 amplug, i decided on that one after listening to the demos on the vox site. you are right that it only gives a mild level of distortion (with the gain and volume cranked right up). still, that's what i was after so i'm happy.

buy both?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i have the AC30 amplug, i decided on that one after listening to the demos on the vox site. you are right that it only gives a mild level of distortion (with the gain and volume cranked right up). still, that's what i was after so i'm happy.

buy both?

Though I'd like to, I'm keeping a strict budget for a headphone amp, so I'm only gonna buy 1. Do you think the AC30 would provide enough distortion for me to play stuff from ACDC/GnR?
Quote by lethalmc
Though I'd like to, I'm keeping a strict budget for a headphone amp, so I'm only gonna buy 1. Do you think the AC30 would provide enough distortion for me to play stuff from ACDC/GnR?

in all honesty, no, probably not.

if you have a distortion pedal then maybe you could take the pedal output through the amplug? best check things like voltage levels first i guess, maybe the vox website could advise.
- Jimi Hendrix
^ the issue here is that the amplug comes in 3 flavours - AC30, Classic Rock, and Metal. The TS is trying to decide which one to get.
- Jimi Hendrix
Well, i after reading some reviews, people have said it's possible to get a clean tone with the classic rock one, so i decided to get that one, I'm not awaiting it to ship
Quote by dr_john
^ the issue here is that the amplug comes in 3 flavours - AC30, Classic Rock, and Metal. The TS is trying to decide which one to get.

I know that...

But I'm saying, at a certain point, you're looking at functionality, not tone. They get the job done - so they don't sound exactly like certain artists. So what? They still sound good.
go with the classic rock one, turn the gain down and use your guitars volume control to clean it up any further
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Actually, I think it'll depend upon what kind of pickups you have. My AC30 model has more gain than I have a use for with my Epiphone, but with my Strat, I use texas specials set really low, for fairly low output, and the Amplug just barely gets a good blues breakup.