Or have I missed them?

Looking for a tube combo with low watt and high gain to practice with. I´m kinda picky about my tone, so I won´t compromise about quality just because it´s a bedroom amp.
I want:
-Low watt so I can crank it at home.
-High gain so I can get into metal territory (Zakk, Metallica, RATM)
-Master volume knob.
-EQ.
-No pedal should be needed. (Maybe this is asking to much )

Imo, this means that the following (that I´ve tried) are out:
Orange TT
Laney LC30
Little Giant

These sounded great (at master volume 1):
Peavey 6505
Bugera 6262
But they are to f***ing loud. However, close to my ideal tone.

So, I think the amp industry is neglecting an important segment here:
THE PICKY BEDROOM PLAYERS!

Or maybe I should just get the Bugera and never go higher than 1 on master volume.

How come small low wattage amps don´t have a lot of gain, anyway? Is it....*drumroll*...impossible?

ROCK ON!
Get a bigger one and use a power attenuator?
"In peaceful sedation I lay half awake, and all of the panic inside starts to fade. Hopelessly drifting, bathing in
Quote by Dimebag06Darrel
Get a bigger one and use a power attenuator?

Yeah, I'd get a higher watt head & cab and use a power attenuator. It'd come in handy if you got in a band and needed more power.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
You need big transformers to get that low end oomph. That and getting lots of gain includes more gain stages which leads to more complicated designs which are more worth it if the amp has more watts.

Well, something along those lines at least.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Krank revolution jr.?
gear:
-Ibanez ART 120 (w/EMG 81/85)
-Ibanez RG 1570
-Peavey 6505
-Tube-Town TTC 212V
-ISP Decimator G-String
-Maxon OD-9
-T-rex Fuel tank Junior

Coming soon:
-BBE Sonic Maximizer
-EQ
The reason most high gain amps are high wattage is because most metal players don't want the cranked overdriven sound, which is more suited to classic rock. Metal players usually like the distortion straight from the amp.

Maybe you could have a look at the Peavey Mini colossal or the Ibanez Valbee, i hear they are quite high gain - but i don't really know. Or maybe the Conford Harlequin but that might be a bit expensive
Quote by fearo
Krank revolution jr.?

+1
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
there's a couple, but there aren't all that many. koch studiotone (not mega-high gain, but would do 80s thrash, say), krank revolution jr (haven't tried), ibanez valbee (haven't tried), brunetti something-or-other (again, haven't tried). EDIT: cornford, as mentioned above, would be worth a look too, but again aren't mega-high gain- more hard rock than metal, to my ears.

i think it's difficult, and expensive, to get high gainers in low wattages... a lot of the times you need the 100 watt power stage to get the headroom and tone for the metal stuff. if you liked the sound of the peavey at master volume 1, i'd just go with that, to be honest. it'll sound better cranked, but i'd rather get an amp which does the tone i want, even if i couldn't crank it, rather than get a more easily crankable amp which won't do the tone you want (as you've discovered with the laneys etc. you've tried).

i'd look into engl too, they sound pretty decent at low volumes (i've got one).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, I was thinking of the Peavey Mini or Valveking. The VK is 50w but u can get a gained up disti sound at lower volumes.

the windsor can get pretty good gain too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by fearo
Krank revolution jr.?

No. That's not going to suit his picky nature.
A ton of people say it's too muddy.
I didn't like the tone I got from it.

EDIT:

Tiny Terror is great.
Make a list of a couple to try out and go do it.
Ultimately, whatever any of us says won't make an amp sound good and fit your needs.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by theoreticmusic
That's because its a Krank, which is a love/hate brand for the most part. Personally I think the Rev Jr's are bad ass, would love one.

If you are playing the br00tz, you shouldn't want tube OD. Even cranking a 5W amp would still be loud as hell. You don't need to crank amps to get good tones, only to get great tones.

Just get the higher wattage amp and keep it lower.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by theoreticmusic

It's worth a try though since it does suit his needs.

TS: If you like the sound of a 6505 then I would go for it if you can afford it. I would check out Dave MCs recommendations since he knows his stuff.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The best amp that sounded just as good at low volumes and high volumes that I've ever used would have to be the Mark IV. It has the channel volume and master volume allowing you to really dial down the volume without really hurting your tone. Although, it'll run you over $1200...

You don't necessarily need a tube amp either, there are some pretty good SS amps that get plenty loud enough and feel enough like a tube amp to where it doesn't matter, not to mention they will sound good at low volumes...
Line 6 Flextone II (for metal)
Line 6 Flextone III for (for a bit of everything)
Randall G3 Plus Series RG75DG3PLUS I was completely blown away by this amp. It had quite a bit of warmth, tube dynamics, and effects onboard. Yes, it sounds too good to be true, but for $550, it's damn good, gets loud, sounds good quiet.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
The best amp that sounded just as good at low volumes and high volumes that I've ever used would have to be the Mark IV. It has the channel volume and master volume allowing you to really dial down the volume without really hurting your tone. Although, it'll run you over $1200...

Same with the Bugera 333XL...One of the reasons I bought it...you can turn up the master to 6 or 7 and use the channel volume to taste and sounds pretty darn good at low volumes.

VERY nice feature for a mid priced high-gain amp.
Quote by fearo
Krank revolution jr.?

+2
Alright, folks! Thank you for the advice, I learned a little. Think I´ll get a high watt amp and just keep it low. Like you said - as long as I like the tone it doesn´t matter really if I never crank it.
Quote by HenkeH2
Alright, folks! Thank you for the advice, I learned a little. Think I´ll get a high watt amp and just keep it low. Like you said - as long as I like the tone it doesn´t matter really if I never crank it.

Also a added benefit of high wattage low volume playing is longer lasting tubes
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, I was thinking of the Peavey Mini or Valveking. The VK is 50w but u can get a gained up disti sound at lower volumes.

As far as valvekings go, if you dont want to have to replace the tube, then dont get it. They are great after you do though.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I use my 6505 with the master volume a little under 2 most of the time, and it works out great. It's still pretty loud, but it's quiet enough, and I can turn it down even lower for real quiet practicing. Then when I haul it out to band practice I turn it up louder, having that extra head room is great. So if you love the tone and you can afford it, you should get a higher wattage amp if nothing in the low wattage range works for you. Also, if you get the head, look for a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x12, that makes a fairly good difference.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by Dave_Mc
there's a couple, but there aren't all that many. koch studiotone (not mega-high gain, but would do 80s thrash, say), krank revolution jr (haven't tried), ibanez valbee (haven't tried), brunetti something-or-other (again, haven't tried). EDIT: cornford, as mentioned above, would be worth a look too, but again aren't mega-high gain- more hard rock than metal, to my ears.

i think it's difficult, and expensive, to get high gainers in low wattages... a lot of the times you need the 100 watt power stage to get the headroom and tone for the metal stuff. if you liked the sound of the peavey at master volume 1, i'd just go with that, to be honest. it'll sound better cranked, but i'd rather get an amp which does the tone i want, even if i couldn't crank it, rather than get a more easily crankable amp which won't do the tone you want (as you've discovered with the laneys etc. you've tried).

i'd look into engl too, they sound pretty decent at low volumes (i've got one).

yes
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
As far as valvekings go, if you dont want to have to replace the tube, then dont get it. They are great after you do though.

I would say based on the topic of the thread.......no.
ODs, and EQs, and user settings and tricks will account for more tonal changes at low volume then a tube swap. I would change the speaker before tubes but again neither will affect tone at low volumes as much.

now the 212 at 100 watts may be a different story

neither comes with a master volume tho
Personally...I think the whole idea of "tube tone at low volumes" is silly. The beauty of a tube amp is the feeling of a big chunk of air hitting you in the chest when you drop that palm muted 6-string G major chord. Hell, when I'm at my apartment practicing, I'm either playing acoustic, or playing my electric unplugged...sucking the life out of a JCM800 with a Powerbrake or trying to quietly push a Classic 30 with the gain dimed is just too fake to me.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Personally...I think the whole idea of "tube tone at low volumes" is silly. The beauty of a tube amp is the feeling of a big chunk of air hitting you in the chest when you drop that palm muted 6-string G major chord. Hell, when I'm at my apartment practicing, I'm either playing acoustic, or playing my electric unplugged...sucking the life out of a JCM800 with a Powerbrake or trying to quietly push a Classic 30 with the gain dimed is just too fake to me.

good point!

krank jr rev pro sounds cool too.

i know the VK's tone is not the greatest to those that have played better amps but i swear i can get a gained up, hit your chest, harmonic'd, tonefull buzz with an OD and some dummy jacks on my Valveking. 50 wattr...

...at low volume. Vol 4, Gain 4, Lead channel, OD level 10, OD gain 0, etc.

fww
Quote by UnsignedRecords
yes

Quote by the.spine.surfs

it depends on the tone you're after, to be honest. for high gain, i'd rather have a high gain amp at low volume than a non-high gain amp at a higher volume. TS wants high gain...

don't get me wrong, a high gain amp at a decent volume would be better again, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CarbonDeath
EBay? http://cgi.ebay.com/88-Mesa-Boogie-Studio-22-Plus_W0QQitemZ350095560313QQihZ022QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Almost bought one for bedroom jamming, but opted for a live set up. Plays heavy stuff easily but still keeps amazingly clean. Did everyone forget about Mesa?

I mentioned the Mark IV.

Something tells me the studio 22 would be pretty loud with only a master volume and gain adjustments. I believe it would be called logarithmic not linear pots, as most 30-60 watt vintage based hotrodded amplifiers are, such as the Mesa F series and DC.

The Mesa Express might be a good option. I personally don't like the way it sounds, but it has a 5 watt option, which takes down the volume quite a bit.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio