So I have been playing blues for as long as I can remember, I love it, but my problem is I have been practicing the same thing for a long time, my question is, what else can i practice besides the blues pentatonic and major and minor pentatonic scales and still improve my blues playing, I feel stuck in a rut please help me!!!! thanks
'00 Les Paul
Have a look at some B.B. King material. My guitar teacher really rates him.
Sounds like you're looking to expand from the blues, so if you pick a few favourite players that are loosely connected with the blues style, play some of their stuff and come back to your own roots, you'll have a slightly different perspective on things. =)

My two cents.
fingering exercises until you can't do them anymore. just playing the scales over and over again wont make you a great player, you need to get the dexterity first. Also if you're stuck playing the same ideas, put the guitar down for a few days, I find that when I haven't played in like a week, when I pick up my guitar I'm usually pretty creative and play some new stuff.
Are you mostly playing 12 bar stuff? That'll put you in a rut real fast.

Try some unconventional arrangements, like an eight bar or a sixteen bar blues, maybe learn some slide guitar or harp. It really helps.

Look into some John Lee Hooker. That could do so much with so little. Also listen to some Skip James and Blind Willie Johnson.
the blues influenced every major style from rock to funk and jazz to metal.

also look towards learning more scales, and jamming to different styles at different tempos.
Quote by MelodyMaker
So I have been playing blues for as long as I can remember, I love it, but my problem is I have been practicing the same thing for a long time, my question is, what else can i practice besides the blues pentatonic and major and minor pentatonic scales and still improve my blues playing, I feel stuck in a rut please help me!!!! thanks

Practicng the scales isn't going to get you anywhere, rather you need to start constructing things from the scales you know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MelodyMaker

Blues is more about expression as opposed to scale. With this in mind, you should work on chops.

You already know the Blues Scales, so concentrate on trills, slides and bends in particular. Not just regular bending either,

-try bending 1 and a half steps
-pre bending then release

Also, work on phrasing, and knowing when to land on those chord tones.

The M6 and M3 intervals are great, and the b5.
Quote by MelodyMaker
my question is, what else can i practice besides the blues pentatonic and major and minor pentatonic scales

Some actual blues music.

The scales are the nuts and bolts, and you seem to know the main ones used in blues. Now instead of practicing them, you need to put them to use.

There is alot to be gained by learning your favorite blues songs, riffs, licks & solos. You can learn what they did, and you can learn what it feels like to play what they did. That experience goes a long way.

in short: you need to cut your teeth on some tunes
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 1, 2008,
Hey guys thanks for all the tips there are alot of things for me to try out, I am mainly doing alot with 12 bar blues, so I will experiment and see, also do you think practicing chicken picking and country riffs are practical in the blues realm of things? I hear some chicken picking with guys like joe bonamassa....
'00 Les Paul
im no great blues man but i think country licks fit right in with blues, it would be good to learn that kind of stuff IMO.

also a big tip i have that is sorely missed by most people, is to do interesting things with rhythm, do you tend to play straight 8ths or 16ths and then the big bluesy bends? try some odd note groupings and rests.
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
i think mainly my frustration comes from my blues soloing, it all kinda sounds the same and I find it hard to break out of the pentatonic box, how do you change the sound of the blues solos? Is it just me or do alot of blues solos sound exactly the same just different keys?
'00 Les Paul
had the same problem about a month ago. dug out every old total guitar mag i could find and worked through all the blues dues/mojo masters licks they have every month even the beginners ones, i went right back to basics, its made a hell of a difference and given me loads of cool licks to rip off.
also for some reason every magazine i could find (not just tg) had some sort of style file or example of billy gibbons style licks so really concentrated on zz top texas blues which is not some thing id normally try and play but it pulled me out of the rut i was in and i did actually make a huge improvement in my playing
cool ill try out something besides the usual slow blues that I am so familiar with, thanks for the advice! Texas Style, some SRV prob wouldn't hurt!
'00 Les Paul
Nothing better you can do except train your ear man!
REPETITON OF HATRED dir en grey