I'm searching for the perfect small tube amp (my current amp is a Vox DA5, which is great, but I want the dynamic response you get in a tube).

I'm having a hard time finding exactly what I want, the ideal specs in my mind would be 5W, a 10" (or larger speaker), and at least a gain and tone control in addition to a master volume (multiband eq a plus).

I play mostly classic rock, blues, with the occassional Metallica song (no death metal, although a little Pantera or Slayer perhaps).

axenut

Edit: Some further explanantion on what I'm looking for, I really like the Crunch 2 setting on my Vox DA5, and if Fender made a 5W Blues Jr, that would be about perfect I think. Does anyone know if the Blackheart sounds similar to a Fender or is it closer to a British sound? Has anyone played through a Vibro-Champ XD, would this be close? The speakers a little on the small side, though, at 8".

axenut
Last edited by axenut at Sep 1, 2008,
what's your budget?

on the lower end yes, probably blackheart series.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you wanted to, you could drop $1200 on a Mesa Express 25, and it has a 5w switch...but you could get any amp, and a THD Attenuator...which will allow you to turn the amp up and get that Tube-sound, but it will remain at a relatively low dB level.

I think I described that right. lol
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by jj1565
what's your budget?

on the lower end yes, probably blackheart series.

My budget is $400 or less, ideally below 300 if possible. Also, the reason for sticking with 5W is to keep the volume level down. I currently don't play gigs, and want something with tubes that won't bother the wife or neighbors when I want to get a good distorted crunch sound.

axenut
Quote by JilaX^
This, or a Fender Blues Junior/Hot Rod + Dist. pedal.

the Bjr doesnt have that kind of adjustable gain.
and both are way too large,
and neither are voiced the way he needs.

peavey also has a 5w tube amp combo.

but i have to say, i like having a little head and cab with my 5W epi Vjr.

tiny tube combos all sound a little lacking to me. the speakers are small and it takes away from novelty of getting a tube in the first place.

the epi Vjr can be modded to suit your needs, but the Blackheart already has the features.

in most all cases you'll want a pedal anyway, because these 5W-ers get loud.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 1, 2008,
just to throw the cat among the pigeons, are those crates still on sale? might be worth considering (in addition to jenny's good advice). i haven't tried them, so can't comment on how they sound, but they seem to be a good deal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i saw the $99 crate 5w, if that's which one you're talking about, Dave.

i didn't suggest it because the reviews were below avarege and it didn't seem to have a gain control.

i think in that case it would be like getting a tube, just say you have one.
i'd probably rather have an old cube 30 or similar.

yeah i didn't try it either tho. maybe slats or someone else has.

did the crate palomino series have an amp where you could cut the watts in half?

i thought they did. anyway, that series sounds pretty good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

wasn't there a 5 watt crate which had the master volume and tone? maybe that was the palomino and i'm getting confused

some of the higher wattage crates are similar prices to most of those 5-watters at the moment, but as i said, i haven't tried them so i dunno, they might not be what he's after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Doesn't Fender have the Vibro Champ, like a 5 watt valve thing?

Maybe check that out aswell, I've heard it's pretty good.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by jj1565
the Bjr doesnt have that kind of adjustable gain.
and both are way too large,
and neither are voiced the way he needs.

peavey also has a 5w tube amp combo.

but i have to say, i like having a little head and cab with my 5W epi Vjr.

tiny tube combos all sound a little lacking to me. the speakers are small and it takes away from novelty of getting a tube in the first place.

the epi Vjr can be modded to suit your needs, but the Blackheart already has the features.

in most all cases you'll want a pedal anyway, because these 5W-ers get loud.

agreed........either the VJ stack or the blackheart + the pedal of your choice.
a blackheart with a quality dist pedal is what you need
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard