Page 1 of 2
Here's my rig in all of its beastly, all-tube and all-maple glory.

It consists of an Ampeg SVT Classic, an Ampeg SVT810E (MIA), an ESP F-104, a Schecter Stiletto Elite 5, and a '97 Spector Euro 5 (all-maple).

Here's everything individually.

Ampeg SVT Classic/8x10

There it is, my amp (which I have an obnoxious habit of bragging about when I want to). It's made up of an Ampeg SVT Classic and an Ampeg 8x10. It pumps out 300 watts all-tube, and surprisingly it's pretty versatile. It does have a distinct character to it, but then again, it differs from amp to amp. I was playing through two different SVT's in the store and this particular one sounded better to my ears. It differs even from amp to amp, it doesn't even have to go as far as other brands or models to sound different. If I had to describe the tone in two words, I would use 'growly' and 'punchy.' The electronics on all of my basses are pretty hot, so it starts to break up a little earlier than most would like it to unless I have the volume on my bass rolled off. I love the growly, slightly-overdriven tone that a tube amp gives, so it works out perfectly for me. Onto the next part, you can't even begin to describe the punch coming out of the 8x10. With the mids turned up and a fair bit of treble added to the signal, there's more punch than I know what to do with! It's perfect for metal. It can sound crystal clear, it can sound guttural and ugly; it can sound however you want it to. But you'll still never make it totally "transparent," like so many bassists crave. The tone still has "AMPEG" stamped across its forehead, which I personally love.

Now, the basses get their time in the spotlight.

ESP F-104

For $300, it's a hell of a bass. The electronics aren't amazing, nor are the pickups, but the playability is superb. I love how this bass feels, there's no way to describe it. It's as solid as a rock, words can't describe it. The tone is relatively ugly, even with new strings. But it's by far the tightest feeling of all my basses, even though they all claim to have 35" scale lengths. This one feels the most convincing, with my Spector at a distant second and my Schecter at a VERY distant third. I recommend it to anyone that's just learning. Tone will come with time, but I would rather learn on something that played well.

Schecter Stiletto Elite-5

This bass is an absolute beast. I love everything about it, and I wouldn't even have my Spector if I hadn't found it on Craigslist for a low price. For what I paid for the Schecter, there's nothing at all I would change about it other than more inlays and a 3-band EQ rather than a 2-band. The craftsmanship is flawless and I love the finish. It's a very classy looking bass, but the tone ranges from just that, "classy," to anything but classy. It can get very aggressive, especially with the treble turned up a little bit and the bridge pickup favored. New strings sound especially good on this, as with any other bass (in my opinion).

Now for the best part:

'97 All-Maple Spector Euro 5

This bass is a monster, I can't describe how aggressive the tone is. If you want a vintage tone, this is NOT the bass for you. At all. It's very treble-y, and no matter how much you cut the treble and boost the bass, you can't take out that 'zing' for which Spector Basses are known. Personally, I love that. I love that tone, and I love the fact that this bass has its own distinct character. It gets my ideal metal tone, which is exactly what I was looking for in a bass. It's perfect for me: the tone, the finish, the playability, everything.

EDIT: Bass pr0n in the next post.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Sep 1, 2008,

Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Sep 1, 2008,
That's a beastly practice amp! I'm afraid to see what you gig with!!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
That's a beastly practice amp! I'm afraid to see what you gig with!!

If I could only get a decent band together it would be both my practice and gigging amp.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Also, VERY nice Spector. I've never seen one that green before. One thing I really dig about Spectors over Warwicks is that you don't have to play games with the bridge when restringing the bass. My two 5-strings only accept DR Long Necks and Dean Markley SR2000's

EDIT: It also goes to show how versatile that bass is; I've seen metalheads and hiphop players alike using Spectors.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I'm not too keen on the look of Spectors and Shecters, but i've never had the chance to play one, so I'll reserve judgement. And that amp is surely monsterous, 300 tube watts and you use it to practice? I bet it took some time to persuade your parents
Sticky?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
That is one amazing rig! Care to post sound clips?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Stickied. Sigh...I want a spector bass sooooo bad.

Good job and I can only imagine how sexy that spector sounds through that amp set up.
I think this is definitely one of the more impressive user rigs, congrats mate you've got a lovely collection of gear there .
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
So how loud exactly do you turn up that SVT for practicing?

Nice rig man. The Spector is orgasmic. Do you like the EMGs in it, or would you think other pickups might do the job better?
I think Ive seen a vid of you playing master of puppets with the F104 on youtube.
All maple Spector *FAP FAP FAP*
Love the rig man. i recently played a cl and see what you mean about the punch and growl. Also that spector is orgasmic. I wouldnt wind one how would you compare it to your other bass's.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I bet that Ampeg hates looking at the Gallien Kruger poster in the back
Nice rig though man, its a shame it doesn't get used for gigs, but I mean at least it gets used!
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
I have that same Schecter! High five!

I played a Spector the other day...I wasn't too impressed. Although, I'm willing to bet it's because it was used and one of the companies lower-grade models.

Awesome rig, I someday hope to own me some Ampeg's.
Wow guys, thanks for all the positive feedback! I really wish I could get that rig on stage sometime soon, there's just NO dedicated musicians that are into the same kinds of music that I am.

Quote by IndianRockStar
So how loud exactly do you turn up that SVT for practicing?

Nice rig man. The Spector is orgasmic. Do you like the EMGs in it, or would you think other pickups might do the job better?

I usually have the volume and gain to about 4 with the volume on my bass down to almost nothing to compete with a hard-hitting drummer and a guitarist with a triple rectifier that doesn't like to crank it ALL THE TIME. He and I have great respect for each others' instruments and love to be able to hear all instruments clearly. Anyways, the EMG's in this thing scream. I couldn't ask for more from them, I wouldn't swap them out with anything.

Quote by fatgoogle
Love the rig man. i recently played a cl and see what you mean about the punch and growl. Also that spector is orgasmic. I wouldnt wind one how would you compare it to your other bass's.

Compared to my other basses, there's no comparison . The spector wins in all categories, hands down.

Quote by asthebearsets
I bet that Ampeg hates looking at the Gallien Kruger poster in the back
Nice rig though man, its a shame it doesn't get used for gigs, but I mean at least it gets used!

I agree. When I bought my Backline 600 it came with that poster, and I've had it up ever since. That head is long gone now, along with a Peavey 2x10 which was nothing but mud. Good riddence. I'm hooked on Ampeg for now, I couldn't ask for anything else in an amp.

BTW Indie, thanks for the comment about "one of the best users' rigs." Much appreciated!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

That is one nice Slayer banner. Where did you get it from?

*too jealous to congratulate on the Spector and the Ampeg*
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
That is one nice Slayer banner. Where did you get it from?

*too jealous to congratulate on the Spector and the Ampeg*

I got it from Rock America, a local mom & pop store near me. It's 30x40" and made of silk. It cost me $15 USD. You can get them online too, they're pretty easy to find for under $20. And I see jealousy rears its ugly head again . Just kidding bro, thanks for the kind words
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I've always really wanted to try out a Spector, but I've never quite gotten around to it. I have very high expectations for them though. because I've only heard good things. Schecter I've never liked, solely for the fact that it has a lacquered neck. That immediately turns me off any bass 100% of the way.

And I think most everyone knows my opinion of Ampeg.

Aside from my extremely jaded opinion, it's all very nice gear. Congrats.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Schecter I've never liked, solely for the fact that it has a lacquered neck. That immediately turns me off any bass 100% of the way.

You my friend need to try a Studio then.
The green awesomeness of your Spector is too great for my unworthy eyes!

*Bows down to your Spector and SVT*

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!!!

No, seriously, awesome rig.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I've always really wanted to try out a Spector, but I've never quite gotten around to it. I have very high expectations for them though. because I've only heard good things. Schecter I've never liked, solely for the fact that it has a lacquered neck. That immediately turns me off any bass 100% of the way.

And I think most everyone knows my opinion of Ampeg.

Aside from my extremely jaded opinion, it's all very nice gear. Congrats.

Thanks Jazz, but if you don't like laquered necks, you wouldnt like that Spector either. I suggest trying that Schecter Stiletto Studio though, great basses without a laquered neck.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Dude. That Spector's a bute, looks almost edible in green. If their was a bass i would eat, it would be your Spector.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
I'll have to put the studio on my mental list to check out. Why, oh why, do bass makers put lacquered necks on an instrument? It doesn't make sense to me, but I think I'm a minority, because a lot of basses are like that.
Wow you have every piece of gear i want or already have... I want a Euro 5 spector soo badly i played one and the action was ridiculously high but it sounded amazing on a peice of crap peavy amp. I have a schecter elite 5 and the action and neck are amazing does the spector even compare if you get the action lowered?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Thats quite a nice rig you got there. And (like everyone else) I love that Spector. I hate green instruments, but that ones a definate exception.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I was just wondering how is that head compared to other tube ampegs if you have played them like the Svt 3 pro or svt 2 i think their both tubes anyway. Ive only played that cl once and was just wondering. Also i just had to look at that spector again, ahhhhhhh.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
dude, that rig is truly amazing

how old are you man?

and how many long hours went into acquiring that?

(well worth it though in my opinion )

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by AmpleSteak
Wow you have every piece of gear i want or already have... I want a Euro 5 spector soo badly i played one and the action was ridiculously high but it sounded amazing on a peice of crap peavy amp. I have a schecter elite 5 and the action and neck are amazing does the spector even compare if you get the action lowered?

Actually, yes. The Spector is an amazing instrument on its own, but the Schecter isn't so far away from it. The Spector is still worth getting though, but I'm just saying there isn't a giant jump in sound; craftsmanship is a different story, the Spector will eat the Schecter for breakfast. If you got that one and got the action lowered (or just got a full setup, it's worth it), you would be VERY pleased.

Quote by fatgoogle
I was just wondering how is that head compared to other tube ampegs if you have played them like the Svt 3 pro or svt 2 i think their both tubes anyway. Ive only played that cl once and was just wondering. Also i just had to look at that spector again, ahhhhhhh.

The SVT3 only has a tube preamp, not a tube power amp. It's like a less-powerful SVT-4 with less features. The SVT-2 is basically the classic in a rackmount design and with a switchable graphic EQ (which engages the solid state preamp). They sound just about identical. It's all personal preference.

Quote by Low_End_Rocker
dude, that rig is truly amazing

how old are you man?

and how many long hours went into acquiring that?

(well worth it though in my opinion )

Hah I'm actually 16, and it took a LONG time to get that. I worked the whole summer (I was 15 at the time) to save up for that amp. I worked into the school year to get that Spector used. I was actually setting money aside for car insurance when that Spector was shown to me, and I couldn't help it. It was definitely well worth it.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Last edited by Your41Plague12 at Sep 3, 2008,
Love the Spector. It's definetly one of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen.
I have to absolutely agree with you on the ESP part, it's great for beginners and such (I have one myself ).
You're a fan of EMG's, I see... How's the sound?

Anyways, awesome rig, I would shake your hand right now if I wasn't fapping over your post.
Your Spector is an absolute beauty, and the colour is to die for. I'm liking the ESP and Schecter too, and the Ampeg looks like it could shake houses. Nice rig
signature
yeah, nice man

im only 15, and im eyeing off a very similar rig to you man, the 'peg and the spector combo just seem like the way to go, wouldnt you agree?

hey dude, can i be a prick and ask you if you've recorded any audio clips with that monster rig?

cheers dude, im gunna stop now before i break down in tears of jealousy haha

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Holy tube amp batman! Not often I feel inferior with my traynor stack...

What's your feeling on the ampeg fridge after having it for a while? Dead set on sticking with the 8*10 or ever think of a different cab configuration?

The only different cab configuration I would ever think of is adding a 2x15 Ampeg cab to it . Call me crazy, but I don't mind weight.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

do ampeg make a 2x15 or do you mean 2 1x15's
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thedonutman
Spector Euros = Epic win. (I have one too) They are fantastic basses, too bad I don't have an Ampeg to run mine through. We need to start a Spector owner's club

It's already been done, give it a search . I'm in it already. Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It's much appreciated.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Nice rig. I'm planning on getting an SVT-3 Pro.

I used to avoid Ampeg, mainly because everyone seems to have one, but after playing one... I was crying.
Page 1 of 2