No I'm not asking you to do it all for me, I just need an idea.
It's english language and I'm doing an investigation into language and gender, I'm just having a hard time comming up with something. Just so you have a rough idea of what I need to do, some ideas that my classmates have are 'comparing the differences in language used by male and female talk show hosts' and 'analysing language used in bond films' (seeing as bond is seen as a womaniser).

I appreciate any serious suggestions greatly and will probably get a laugh out of the typical UG responses so feel free to post away
Study the amount of profanity used by both genders, whether it be in music, real life...
When all else fails, ask the pit.
If you're looking at language and gender...then why not look at words like 'mankind' or another good one, why there's a Mr. for men, but Mrs. and Miss for women...

My old English teacher was a massive feminist so we were constantly reminded about all this stuff
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
you could see how technology has affected how the genders use language, stuff like text messaging, chat rooms and instant messaging, you'd probably find out that theres not that much difference but its a good excuse to text people and go on msn at school
Quote by whatamidoinhere
If you're looking at language and gender...then why not look at words like 'mankind' or another good one, why there's a Mr. for men, but Mrs. and Miss for women...

My old English teacher was a massive feminist so we were constantly reminded about all this stuff

I was thinking about something like this but its probably to broad a subject, I need to be investigating something specific, not just language on the whole

Quote by I-Watch-Anime
Study the amount of profanity used by both genders, whether it be in music, real life...

Hmm, investigating music could actually be a pretty good idea as I would actually take an interest, cheers for the idea.

Other suggestions still welcome, not entirely sure if I want to do music
You could bring up how job title's are often gender stereotyped, such as dinner lady or policeman.
Quote by josh999x
You could bring up how job title's are often gender stereotyped, such as dinner lady or policeman.

+1, you could also say how these titles have changed over recent years, such as chairperson, police officer. Hope this helps.
Quote by crazykid3000
I was thinking about something like this but its probably to broad a subject, I need to be investigating something specific, not just language on the whole

Tip: If you're doing English Language, you need two o's there

I think that would actually work well if you keep it to specific points, and go into detail about why they're there, and how they've come to be etc.
But if you want to do it about music to keep yourself interested, then that's probably also a good idea, just make sure that you don't go too much by your own opinions of music, because I know that would be tempting
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by MadClownDisease
Left starting your investigation until the end of the holidays too eh?

haha yeah, probably not one of my best choices

Quote by whatamidoinhere
Tip: If you're doing English Language, you need two o's there

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

Quote by irnbrurules
+1, you could also say how these titles have changed over recent years, such as chairperson, police officer. Hope this helps.

I like the idea but I don't think I would be able to write enough about it. I think theres a 5000 word target or something like that
Quote by Hereforthebooze
You could do something like:-

Comparing the language differences between the film 'Clueless' and 'American Pie'.

Two similar age groups, girls in one film, boys in the other.

This.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
I did that coursework last year, I know that doing it on music sounds like a good idea now man, but seriously you will regret it so much. I did mine about Sex Pistol's lyrics, and it made me completely sick of them haha. Some things people in my class did:

-Comparing the language use of news readers on different channels (BBC compared to ITV etc.)
-Language use in horoscopes
-Language use in broadsheet newspapers compared to tabloid newspapers
-Language change in The Times newspaper over time (you can find newspapers from like 100 years ago in archives)
-Child language development (if you are on AQA this is one of the A2 modules, which is helpful haha)
-Some guy did a comparison of language used in manga and anime, which sounded pretty cool.

Have fun, it is a soul crushing coursework