Im getting a Fender bassman 250w half stack with the 15'' speaker, i want to know if it will be heard with a 100w guitar amp and loud drummer
certainly, if you guys/girls don't become deaf is another problem
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
yeah. but you would probably be safer with more wattage. 300 should cut it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
yeah. but you would probably be safer with more wattage. 300 should cut it.

STOP saying that, we are talking about 3 man practising!!!

not playing for 1000 people, jezus hey
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The more headroom the better, though.

yes, but when you are talking about practising and good brands. I'd say with 100 you'll be fine.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
ok, im sticking with the 250w, i need to get the half stack for more mobility b/c my room is up stairs
tbh an 80w would be enough in that scenario.
trust, especially if its a bass amp.

250w is almost too much, that would be sorta thing for playing medium sized gigs and such.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by Neo Evil11
yes, but when you are talking about practising and good brands. I'd say with 100 you'll be fine.

That is 100% NOT TRUE. I'm not sure what kinds of bands you've been playing in, but I play with a fairly quiet drummer and I'm pushing my 100 watt Rumble to 75-85%, which isn't even too good for and amp, to get over him. As soon as his guitarist brother comes into the room I just put it on full. And before you say something to my EQ, all I do is boost bass, boost low mids, cut high mids and highs. Boosting and cutting about 2dB. Yes, I could boost all of my EQs, get a butt ugly piece of **** sound and be heard, but I'd rather not be heard at all than sound awful.

Anyway, you'll get by with 250 watts, but the more the better, as always. 300 is the minimum I always throw out there.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That is 100% NOT TRUE. I'm not sure what kinds of bands you've been playing in, but I play with a fairly quiet drummer and I'm pushing my 100 watt Rumble to 75-85%, which isn't even too good for and amp, to get over him. As soon as his guitarist brother comes into the room I just put it on full. And before you say something to my EQ, all I do is boost bass, boost low mids, cut high mids and highs. Boosting and cutting about 2dB. Yes, I could boost all of my EQs, get a butt ugly piece of **** sound and be heard, but I'd rather not be heard at all than sound awful.

Anyway, you'll get by with 250 watts, but the more the better, as always. 300 is the minimum I always throw out there.

you have serious issues then. sure there isn;'t something wrong with your amp?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Sep 2, 2008,
I also find it anooying with the 300 watt rule thing. i play my rumble 100 over my guitarist and drummer and singer at half way. To be honest i dont gig with it that much because alot of venues were i play already have a bass amp so i dont have to bring mine. yet most of them are combos at around200 to 250 watts and that is heard fine cranked up abit.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Neo Evil11

Not that I can tell, not that I've ever gotten it serviced; I doubt it would be worth it. I don't know what to tell you, 100 watts isn't that loud. I can hear myself, usually, but the fact is everyone around me has to hear my sound too and that's where the trouble comes in. If I don't crank it my drummer can't hear it. I've never heard of anything that can happen to an amp that cuts the wattage before and I doubt that even it would have that problem. It sounds like 100 watts to me, that's just not that loud.
What people here don't seem to understand is that when you practice or play, you tend to be near your amp.

Great, that means you can hear yourself. However, no one else in the room can hear you. Bass drops considerably over a low distance at low wattages.

I have to turn a 300W amp up to about halfway to get heard in a practice situation (4x10", Trace Elliot half stack) in the jazz band.

So in future, try standing on the other end of the room you're playing in, and adjust your volume from their. Because that's the loudest other people are going to hear you.

In a gigging situation, a venue of a mediumish size will hurt your ears if you play at the correct volume, unless it has FANTASTIC acoustics.

Bear in mind 100W is only twice as loud as 10W's.

Think about that...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
My amp cuts it at practice (MAG300 C115 - its not BRILLIANT on its own but suffices) without an extra cab, but for gigs I use the extra cab even if I think I won't need it just in case as I don't want to not be heard.

And the more watts the better, always been true and will never be false.

*EDIT* My band has two guitarists and 1 drummer so I have quite a bit to get over especially as the guitarists both crank there volume up ALOT and the drummer is kinda loud.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Last edited by Rywad at Sep 2, 2008,
well i can be heard over my drummer with a 60w so yeah thats definitly enough

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

I think with 250 you would be pretty comfortable with the loudness... But if your gigging maybe just try to get a step up of atleast 300.

Quote by Neo Evil11
No he doesn't have a serious issue! You come into every thread claiming you only need 100 watts when everyone else disagrees with you because your wrong... 150 Watts up full with a drummer, 2 guitarists and a singer can barley cut it for me.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
I think with 250 you would be pretty comfortable with the loudness... But if your gigging maybe just try to get a step up of atleast 300.

No he doesn't have a serious issue! You come into every thread claiming you only need 100 watts when everyone else disagrees with you because your wrong... 150 Watts up full with a drummer, 2 guitarists and a singer can barley cut it for me.

drummer, guitarist, keyboardist

20 watts 50%

and don't try the "well your drummer is a girl then"excuse
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Not that I can tell, not that I've ever gotten it serviced; I doubt it would be worth it. I don't know what to tell you, 100 watts isn't that loud. I can hear myself, usually, but the fact is everyone around me has to hear my sound too and that's where the trouble comes in. If I don't crank it my drummer can't hear it. I've never heard of anything that can happen to an amp that cuts the wattage before and I doubt that even it would have that problem. It sounds like 100 watts to me, that's just not that loud.

100w is plenty. i have a 100w bass amp and turned up half way would litteraly shake my trailer that i ived in. ive also had the cops called from people that lived like 5 housed down.
Quote by Nutter_101
What people here don't seem to understand is that when you practice or play, you tend to be near your amp.

Great, that means you can hear yourself. However, no one else in the room can hear you. Bass drops considerably over a low distance at low wattages.

I have to turn a 300W amp up to about halfway to get heard in a practice situation (4x10", Trace Elliot half stack) in the jazz band.

So in future, try standing on the other end of the room you're playing in, and adjust your volume from their. Because that's the loudest other people are going to hear you.

I don't have a PHD in physics, but I'm almost sure this is wrong. Bass frequencies travel far FURTHER than higher frequencies. Notice that when you see a band live at a festival or in a park, the further you are, the more prominent the bass drum and bassline become. This is to do with the longer wavelength carried by low frequencies.

so, in a practice, the only reason you could be drowned out is because you are occupying the same, or a similar frequency to your guitarist. this means either he's got too much bass on his sound, or you've got too much treble and/or are playing high up the neck. personally, I do not notice a difference in volume from my amp when I'm between 1 and 5 metres away from it (normal distance) at all.

As an added thought, Roger Daltrey once commented on the fact that he always thought the bass in the who was too loud, but the for some reason no one else believed him. so he did some research and apparently found out that the place where the bass was loudest was around 10 metres (might have been a slightly different number to this) away, about the distance between the singer and john's bass stack.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
At lower levels of volume, bass frequencies will get lost quicker, due to absorption by materials around it.

If you're playing a festival, you should have no problem with bass :P.

What I'm saying is that you might be playing a 100W amp (which is only twice as loud as a 10W btw) and think you're loud enough, when you really aren't.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
At lower levels of volume, bass frequencies will get lost quicker, due to absorption by materials around it.

If you're playing a festival, you should have no problem with bass :P.

What I'm saying is that you might be playing a 100W amp (which is only twice as loud as a 10W btw) and think you're loud enough, when you really aren't.

twice as loud in decibels is a lot

Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Sep 2, 2008,