I am not the hugest fan of Fieldy from KoRn, but he does have a very fast slapping technique (at least to me). I have heard and read that he uses his pinky to slap, does anyone know if this is correct and if so, in what way is this done?
ya i pretty sure he does. ive tried it, and it seems to work.. but its quite hard. he must have an incredibly strong pinky. and seeing as mine is actually bent.

unless hes using marcus millers double thumb technique and it just looks like hes using his pinkie.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
I think he was using his pinky, Tom Jenkinson (AKA Squarepusher) does this too, but he has a much more accurate, technical style. Any bassist who's into IDM a la Aphex Twin and The Black Dog should seriously check out Squarepusher, the man is not only a genius bassist, but makes some awesome music.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
I think he was using his pinky, Tom Jenkinson (AKA Squarepusher) does this too, but he has a much more accurate, technical style. Any bassist who's into IDM a la Aphex Twin and The Black Dog should seriously check out Squarepusher, the man is not only a genius bassist, but makes some awesome music.

I used to go on about Squarepusher.

But no one cared...

In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I used to go on about Squarepusher.

But no one cared...

People are fools.

Iambic 9 Poetry is the best piece of music featuring mostly bass harmonics, I don't care what you say about Portrait of Tracy, it's unreal.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by fortysix&2
People are fools.

Iambic 9 Poetry is the best piece of music featuring mostly bass harmonics, I don't care what you say about Portrait of Tracy, it's unreal.

I dunno.

It's a pretty piece of chillout style stuff. But it doesn't have the harmonic structure or technical difficulty of PoT.

I love I9P though.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Actual slapping with the pinky...? Or are you referring to popping with the pinky because that sounds ridiculous.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
*Listens to squarepusher*

What have I been doing with my life?!
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by AmpleSteak
Actual slapping with the pinky...? Or are you referring to popping with the pinky because that sounds ridiculous.

Nah they mean slapping. Popping with the pinky hurts to me.

But no, if you move your hand up even further up the fretboard to fit your whole hand, you can slap twice as fast by alternating thumb and pinky. The thing is, not only is this difficult in and of itself, but it makes popping a bit harder since your hand is in a different spot.

But if you can get it down, it can be pretty dang cool.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Victory2134
*Listens to squarepusher*

What have I been doing with my life?!

More people should realise this.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Squarepusher is the man

very cool sound going on, listened to bits and bobs of his for a while, nevere seriously checked him out though...any advice?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Squarepusher is the man

very cool sound going on, listened to bits and bobs of his for a while, nevere seriously checked him out though...any advice?

His 1996 album "Feed Me Weird Things" is good all round. Not as many insane bass solo parts in his more recent albums.
Quote by BrickIsRed
His 1996 album "Feed Me Weird Things" is good all round. Not as many insane bass solo parts in his more recent albums.

Yeah, the track Squarepusher Theme is a really good one to get you into Squarepusher, it's not nearly as weird as some of his stuff, as he goes into proper IDM and acid techno sometimes which I assume a lot of you guys won't be into.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Skills. Get them.

Quote by Dempsey68

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Quote by skippy_moogoose
Squarepusher is the man

If you want actual bass solo stuff, listen to Tetra-Sync, Hello Kitty, Bubble Life or Theme From Sprite, as well as a lot of his older stuff.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!