I'm planning on getting my first distortion pedal, and was looking at Boss, so I was wondering what is the difference between the DS-1 and DS-2. Thanks!
DS-2 has 2 different modes, the normal mode which is pretty much the same sound as the DS-1 and Turbo mode which is a mid-boosted setting that cuts through the mix.

but don't forget!!!!! da ds1 has a tone nob so u can get different effects from it. works just as well as an multiple effects!

[/IAMREALLYCOOL impression]
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Actually, both DS-1 and DS-2 have tone, level, and distortion knobs. The only difference is that DS-2 has two different modes.
DS-1 has one level of distortion, and DS-2 has two different distortion settings.

But I'll be honest, don't get a Boss.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
theyre both nasty. the difference? one has two modes. that's it. please dont buy a boss distortion. if youre gonna buy boss, go the the chorus ensemble. that's the only boss i would ever buy. maybe the tuner, but i'd rather buy the korg.

ds sounds all digital. you do not have to have a good ear to know that a ds-1 sounds nasty. most people who use ds-1's get modded ones, which imo are WAAAY better than stock. still, i'd go with a good ol analog distortion or amp distortion.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Raxef
Actually, both DS-1 and DS-2 have tone, level, and distortion knobs. The only difference is that DS-2 has two different modes.

didn't you notice i was joking? I have a DS-2, of course i'm aware that it has a tone knob lol.

there was just this guy called IAMREALLYCOOL who made loadsa threads about how he was looking for a multi-fx, then made another thread to say he got a boss DS-1 because da ds1 has a tone nob so u can get different effects from it. works just as well as a multiple effects. I was referring to that.

Also apak - i respect your opinion but the DS distortions are not digital, so they don't sound digital. pet peeve of mine is when people say something sounds digital when its not even digital. lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by apak
theyre both nasty. the difference? one has two modes. that's it. please dont buy a boss distortion. if youre gonna buy boss, go the the chorus ensemble. that's the only boss i would ever buy. maybe the tuner, but i'd rather buy the korg.

ds sounds all digital. you do not have to have a good ear to know that a ds-1 sounds nasty. most people who use ds-1's get modded ones, which imo are WAAAY better than stock. still, i'd go with a good ol analog distortion or amp distortion.

I can't say anything for the DS-2 and i'm not a fan of most of the Boss distortions but I would disagree about the DS-1.

I've gotten loads of different sounds from it, it's not great but with good tweaking and gear you can get many usable and even good distortion tones for only $40.

-2 cents
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
for $40 the ds-1 is well worth it and its not a bad pedal u can get a good sound from it if u tweak it right most people just turn everything up to the max and then think its crap
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
for $40 the ds-1 is well worth it and its not a bad pedal u can get a good sound from it if u tweak it right most people just turn everything up to the max and then think its crap

*looks at sig*

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
*looks at sig*

i got them when i didnt know much but to be fully honest there not bad pedals. yes theres better and im fully aware of that but for the 40$ i paid for it im happy. its better the just buying a FAB distortion pedal
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
i got them when i didnt know much but to be fully honest there not bad pedals. yes theres better and im fully aware of that but for the 40$ i paid for it im happy. its better the just buying a FAB distortion pedal

wasnt bashing as such

it was just funny to read such a glowing review then look straight at it in your sig

i have the DS-2 doesnt lend itsself to my tube amp, but back in the days of SS it was killer. just dont overdo the dist
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I bought my DS-1 not knowing anything about good gear and tone either. However more than three years later and after hundreds spent on gear. I'm still able to use it and get different sounds.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 1, 2008,
if these are bad, then whats a good distortion pedal that is no more than $60?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD

digitech
BAD
MONKEY
Quote by Blompcube
DS-2 has 2 different modes, the normal mode which is pretty much the same sound as the DS-1 and Turbo mode which is a mid-boosted setting that cuts through the mix.

but don't forget!!!!! da ds1 has a tone nob so u can get different effects from it. works just as well as an multiple effects!

[/IAMREALLYCOOL impression]

ey m8 dont go dissin me nd ma crew
Quote by IAMREALLYCOOL
ey m8 dont go dissin me nd ma crew

you should be glad you made a memorable post. no need to go all chavsta on me

and the question has already been answered - the DS-2 is basically a DS-1 with an extra mid boost switch.

I actually found a really nice tone in mode 1 on my DS-2, through my VC30's overdrive channel - volume max, tone and distortion about 10 o'clock - its just a really tight, clear crisp distorted sound with the added help of a little tube overdrive. people who think these pedals suck must've used them through a crap amp and/or with crap settings.

omg your that guy who had that Rickenbacker that got flattened by the stack. You earn my respect
If you're going to get one of the two, get the DS-2 and leave it on the second mode. The DS-1 is so scooped it's not even funny. I hate it.
Quote by whiteraven119
If you're going to get one of the two, get the DS-2 and leave it on the second mode. The DS-1 is so scooped it's not even funny. I hate it.

I wouldn't say it was 'scooped'. It cuts right through if I use it in a jam type thing, for me.

Oh well, I like mine. Easy to mod too.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD

They are good, REALLY good. I'm getting a ds-2 on friday (only cause my ds-1 goes through fits...sometimes it works, sometimes not)

It can deliver a very grungy sound, which is good for punk / hardcore (the good kind), and ofcourse grunge. A teacher i used to have used it for his metal band, and he said he loved it, that's why I got mine.

if you wanna check his tone out www.myspace.com/mankillsman
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by IAMREALLYCOOL
omg your that guy who had that Rickenbacker that got flattened by the stack. You earn my respect

yeah, someone elses stack fell on it when it was my dads, about 15 years before i was born, the only evidence i have of it is a few little dents, but that doesn't stop me from having a vintage rickenbacker

on the other hand, this is an answered thread and no further posts are necessary. sure, i brought up something daft that you said about a boss DS-1, and then had to point a finger at you because somebody didn't realise it was a quote, but no offense was intended.

I suppose now somebody is gonna go find and bump a dead thread where i said i was bigger than jesus next...