Posted this in electric guitar, didn't get very good responses.

Well I'm thinking of getting a small (like five watt), cheap tube amp to mod and use for bedroom practicing, home recording, and hauling to small jam's so I can leave my bassman at my drummers.

What would suit a two or three hundred (200-300) usd-ish budget, playing everything from frusciante to rammstein to john mayer to nirvana to oi polloi to the raconteurs.

I'm very seriously looking at the Epi Valve Jr., as for my cause cheaper is better, and I'm quite willing and able to mod the thing to hell.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
supposedly the blackheart makers encourage people to mod the heck out of their amps and they have lists on their website.
not sure if it is true but you might want to look at those.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Blackhearts and Epi VJ's are both great 5 watt'rs to mod. Check them out. I see Epi heads used for $75-100 all the time.
I almost think a cube 30x would be better for you. A BH or an epi valve isn't going to go any heavier than classic rock. Not to mention if the drummer is even a little crazy you'll be totally drowned. No cleans for jams either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I almost think a cube 30x would be better for you. A BH or an epi valve isn't going to go any heavier than classic rock. Not to mention if the drummer is even a little crazy you'll be totally drowned. No cleans for jams either.

I've used both versions of the cube before, not as impressed as everyone seems to think I'd be. I also should of specified that I'm going to be running a Tech21 SansAmp through it, aswell as a nice overdrive once I have some cash, so the heaviness is not a real issue.

Blackheart 5 watt combo. Sounds great.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by dustyboy316
Blackheart 5 watt combo. Sounds great.

I've been concidering one of them, as my local store carries them.

Fair enough, I still don't think a 5 watt amp will get metal enough for you or be loud enough to jam. If you're not too worried about metal and you have a drummer that can contain himself then if could work. Still no cleans though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Fair enough, I still don't think a 5 watt amp will get metal enough for you or be loud enough to jam. If you're not too worried about metal and you have a drummer that can contain himself then if could work. Still no cleans though.

You don't know how loud these amps are than.
And drummers can use hot rods if need be.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Most of the stuff I write, and coincidentally most of what I play, is very John Frusciante solo-work Esq, So metal doesn't really concern me. I like fairly warm creamy cleans that are just on the edge, or are starting, to break up