Hi , im hoping that perhaps some expert guitarists will pop in to give me some advice...
Ive been playing guitar for about 6 years (only in the past 2 years have I actually been "practising" tho) , for 2 year I picked with my fingers lol (not finger style , as if I had a pick , but just with my finger :S) , then for another 2 years I picked using my elbow constantly.

After I began listening to shred and other technical forms of music , I began to work heavily on my technique , but up untill very recently I excelled mainly at legato style playing without much speedy alternate picking.

Other the past month or two ive been working very hard on trying to get my picking perfected , and using nothing but pure wrist movement , I was just wondering if you could point out any faults , or perhaps give me some tips if I need to correct anything?
I want to make sure that ill have no risk of injury from playing , and that im playing as fliudly as possible.

anyway here is the video , thanks for any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7P8QilN5vY&fmt=18
Alexander.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention there isnt really any serious picking going on for a couple of mins , as I always get a bit nervous when im recording myself or playing live lol , so it takes me a while to get comfortable and stop tensing up.

Thanks.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

Winner of the John Lewis and Cambridgeshire Music young musician Award 2008
Last edited by ChillofWinter at Sep 1, 2008,
It looks fine to me, the only thing i would suggest is maybe trying to get it so that you don't have to change your hand position or shape between the lower register/rhythm playing and the soloing; it might just be personal preference but I feel that if you have to change your hand shape or position between one kind of playing and another it might hinder you down the line somewhere even if it doesn't now.

Listening to your "Cheesy wannabe fusion improv soloing" right now btw. I like
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It looks fine to me, the only thing i would suggest is maybe trying to get it so that you don't have to change your hand position or shape between the lower register/rhythm playing and the soloing; it might just be personal preference but I feel that if you have to change your hand shape or position between one kind of playing and another it might hinder you down the line somewhere even if it doesn't now.

Listening to your "Cheesy wannabe fusion improv soloing" right now btw. I like

Hi Zaphod , thanks alot for the advice , yeah ive also noticed that I often switch between my prefered closed fist picking "stance" , but as I only switched to this properly about 2 weeks ago , and ive been concentrating on fast licks with it , when ever I go back to playing rhythm parts I shift it to the open hand style (which is must less stable , my index finger and thumb starts to bend about abit)

But yes I will definately be trying to stop switching back to the other less efficient stance.

Thank you very much for your critique and compliment , take care .

Alexander.
" Nature has given us two ears, two eyes, and but one tongue-to the end that we should hear and see more than we speak. "
- Socrates

S'not bad, efficient, fairly snappy. I'd prefer to see much longer runs of connected string crossing picking licks rather than little bursts. A few little pieces of open string noise and such. Didn't watch the whole thing obviously.
Quote by Freepower
S'not bad, efficient, fairly snappy. I'd prefer to see much longer runs of connected string crossing picking licks rather than little bursts. A few little pieces of open string noise and such. Didn't watch the whole thing obviously.

Hi , thanks , yeah there are a few parts where ive brushed against the other strings with my fretting hand , Im not used to the Ibanez neck yet lol and I cant get the action any lower without serious fretbuzz. But yeah im not so good at LONG picking runs as I never practise playing up and down scales , infact about 90% of my practising is just noodling over songs , or just plain noodling lol.

Thanks again.

Alexander.
- Socrates

You play well, I liked it. Picking technique looked good. The only thing i noticed is a bit of overall right arm tension during some of the fast runs (for example around 2:18).

Good stuff!
you're pretty good dude. i didn't see anything wrong there. (till a couple minutes through, sorry too busy lol.)
i would just suggest something: lower your strap height (for moar sexiness)
but you're pretty good!
cheers
Quote by RCalisto
you're pretty good dude. i didn't see anything wrong there. (till a couple minutes through, sorry too busy lol.)
i would just suggest something: lower your strap height (for moar sexiness)
but you're pretty good!
cheers

Hey man thanks , and lol I used to wear my strap lower but I really am loving wearing a strap high , it just makes everything so much easier lol , no awkward aches from the wierd angles you have to hold the guitar etc when its lower down.

sorry this post doesnt really make much sense at all , im really tired , I havnt slept in a fair while lol.

Thanks again ,
Alexander.

Quote by se012101
You play well, I liked it. Picking technique looked good. The only thing i noticed is a bit of overall right arm tension during some of the fast runs (for example around 2:18).

Good stuff!

Yeah I often tense up when im in a situation where im almost "forced" to do something , like I cant just make a video and sit around chilling just noodling every now and then lol.

Although ive done alot of gigs in the past , It still takes me a good 5minutes to really relax and get into playing under pressure.

Thanks for the comment ,

Alexander.
- Socrates

Last edited by ChillofWinter at Sep 1, 2008,
^funnily i only get nervous if i can't see the people i'm playing to (recording)
lol. everything gets fuzzy and cheesy when i do it
Also , I sometimes find that I get a bit of an ache in my elbow. Could this mean that im possibly using my elbow a bit? Maybe on the faster parts? But ive tryd just staring at my elbow while im playing and it really doesnt seem like its doing any of the picking at all...

Does tensing up a bit create an ache in your elbow to anyone here?

Thanks , Alexander.
- Socrates

I agree with ouchies. That looked like what was happening. The thing that keyed me into the impression that you were tensing was that it was almost like your right forearm wasn't moving at all. If it was truly relaxed you'd expect to see a little bit of sympathetic movement from the what the wrist was doing. That and the little muscle on the outside of your elbow popped out during some of those fast runs.