Ok, who here appreciates the Band and all they've done for music? Their first two albums are nothing short of spectacular and they've influenced everyone from Clapton to Wilco. I personally think that they are one of the greatest examples of five musicians coming together, with each being able to share their unique talents. Three lead vocalists, the best rhythmn section ever and multiple great songwriters. I think their music stands the test of time. Anyone with me? What are your favourite songs? Albums? Stories? Share your love of the Band.
Well I love the band. I read Across the Great Divide about them, good book. The song In a Station is ill.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
ya same here my favorites gotta be the wheight or the night they drove old dixie down
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Quote by freshtunes
Well I love the band. I read Across the Great Divide about them, good book. The song In a Station is ill.

yeah. Great book. IMO, all of the songs that Manuel wrote or co-wrote are awesome. Whispering Pines is absolutely amazing.
Quote by master
DON'T DO IT

DON'T YOU BREAK MY HEART

BABY PLEEEAAASSE DON'T DO IT

DON'T YOU BREAK MY HEART

The Last Waltz rocks.
+infinity. I Don't Do It.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I just bought "The Last Waltz" a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

I need to listen to more of their stuff though, because I don't know anything about them besides what I learned from the movie.
The best part of the Last Waltz is when Levon is talking about all the old tent shows in the south, with country, bluegrass, delta blues all coming together. Scorcese asks him what that mixture would be called, and he just looks at him and says, "Rock and Roll" Bitchin
What I think is really cool about The Band, is that at that time, when everyone was going towards the psychadelic type sound, they brought it back to good old rock and roll.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
The Band are so great. Robbie is one of my favorite guitarists. Music From Big Pink and their self-titled are classic records, and of course The Last Waltz may be the greatest concert film ever.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by metalfan#3
^ I agree. However, the 'psychedelic sound' isn't necessarily bad in my opinion, but that type of sound definitely wouldn't have fit The Band.

Not saying it was bad.

It was just cool that they weren't bothered about all the San Fran hype and what not, and played the music they wanted to play.
I love The Band. They're easily one of the best musical ensembles to record, in my opinion. I have Music From Big Pink, The Band, and Rock of Ages (their live set) on vinyl, and I really enjoy listening to them.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by slidething31
Not saying it was bad.

It was just cool that they weren't bothered about all the San Fran hype and what not, and played the music they wanted to play.

Their sound gives them a timeless piece about them. The San Fran bands, with the exception of maybe the Grateful Dead, all have a dated sound about them. I think that bands that attach themselves to a scene early on don't have a very long shelf life - except maybe the artists that were the first ones.

On that note, anyone remember that part in the Last Waltz when Richard Manuel talks about the "Chocolate Subways" and the "Marshmallow Overcoats"?
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
They show The Last Waltz on VH1 classic a lot. I never have enough time to sit and watch the whole thing though.
I've been listening to a lot of the Basement Tapes lately. Both the officially released album and some of the other stuff that popped up elsewhere, like "Mighty Quinn" which is an awesome song.
Chest Fever=win.
Quote by slidething31
They show The Last Waltz on VH1 classic a lot. I never have enough time to sit and watch the whole thing though.
I don't think I've ever seen the entire film, but I've seen all of the performances. As cliche as the song might be, The Weight with the Staple Singers is fantastic. The guy who sings the "Go down Moses..." verse has such a great voice, Danko's gritty verse, then the harmonized last verse. So good.
Quote by Thefallofman
The Weight is just an awesome song any way you cut it.
Honestly in every musical category you can think of, The Band are somewhere in the top 10 or even 5 I'd say. Musicians, vocalists, albums and songwriting, virtuosity and ability, coolness. They just have everything.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
^yeah, man. It was definitely one of the tightest combinations around. Three awesome vocalists, good songwriting by almost everyone, and Garth Hudson was there to make everything fit together.
Quote by BrainDamage
I don't think I've ever seen the entire film, but I've seen all of the performances. As cliche as the song might be, The Weight with the Staple Singers is fantastic. The guy who sings the "Go down Moses..." verse has such a great voice, Danko's gritty verse, then the harmonized last verse. So good.

I remember watching that scene once shortly after the film was released on home video. I was going through a pretty bad time in my life, and that performance almost singlehandedly helped me get up and turn myself around. The Weight was and still is my favourite song of all time.

Quote by Kartman

I just picked up Music From Big Pink and The Band a few days ago (I only had the Across the Great Divide box set and The Last Waltz on DVD), and they've been in constant rotation since. What a great, great band.
Quote by Thefallofman
It truly is. But I have to say my favorite version of it is not the Band's own. My Morning Jacket and Eddie Vedder's live performances of the song are even better.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Quote by BrainDamage
I just picked up Music From Big Pink and The Band a few days ago (I only had the Across the Great Divide box set and The Last Waltz on DVD), and they've been in constant rotation since. What a great, great band.

I remember when Big Pink came out, amongst all that San Francisco hippie stuff that I was too young to really identify with, and it really gave me hope for the future. I was raised on old country records popping and cracking through AM radio (oh god I'm old..) on long road trips in the early 60s. The Band had that rootsy country blues vibe that I really was able to latch onto, and I followed them up until their breakup.

Quote by Kartman

man i wish i was around for the band i missed tht by a long shot im only 16 its too bad i wish i cld see em live-i thnk the last waltz is the best concert vid evr

BTW anybody out ther thts my age (or older idc) that knows any new band carrying on the tradition of the band and bobby d and neil young i wld love 2 hear it im so tired of the pop and hip hop stuff thts out there-not 2 mention the "rock of today" (please the jonas bros god) so if you know any i would love to hear-on the subj. if ur like me in this respect check out Wolfmother (self titles debut album) and the new Panic at the Disco cd Pretty.Odd. i swear its not emo its great old sounding stuff give it a listen-ROCK ON!
Quote by BrainDamage

Yeah man, I swear it's just one of those albums you can just play over and over and never tire of it. Each and every member just shine in it in every aspect...watching videos of them play is a really treat for the ears/eyes.