Well we managed to get this song covered in less then a day and to be honest it was frustrating as we both knew that the various tabs out there were wrong so we did out best to try and get it to the point where we could say okay thats good im happy with that!

So its finally done and finished its by no means perfect and theres no vocals

To point out theres just two of us in the band, we used EZDrummer and then used a PODX3 to simulate the bass and and for the guitar tone.

Criticism is welcome

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/sierra/

Cheers
Quote by supea
WOW it sounds good! How did you record it?

Both of us have POD X3's and Cubase so all we had to do was pick a tab in this case it was the 5 star by 9 one (Which i IMO is wrong and really shouldnt be used for the song) we imported the drum track from the GP5 into Cubase EZDrummer then makes it realistic.

Then used the POD to simulate a bass sound (very easy and very realistic imo) and then just the usual recording procedures!

Cheers for the comment
Quote by StevoIRL
Both of us have POD X3's and Cubase so all we had to do was pick a tab in this case it was the 5 star by 9 one (Which i IMO is wrong and really shouldnt be used for the song) we imported the drum track from the GP5 into Cubase EZDrummer then makes it realistic.

Then used the POD to simulate a bass sound (very easy and very realistic imo) and then just the usual recording procedures!

Cheers for the comment

Well my question was what are the usual recording procedures : P
Quote by supea
Well my question was what are the usual recording procedures : P

Well usually he'd record the bass and upload the drums and send it to me over msn id then do the guitar part (in this case Rhythm) record it then send him the recording of my guitar part, he'd finish his guitar part and would go over everything to make sure theres no mistakes etc and then thats it export as a mp3 file and we are done!
sound ok. doesn't have the big sound of the original but I'd say that's due to the fact you didn't have a spare couple of grand to go into the studio and record with cranked mesas

one thing I did notice was that the right channel guitar was slightly behind the left channel guitar in a few places and the 2 guitars were allowed to ring out for different lengths of time in some places aswell. it was only a slight difference but it's something that could be improved.

a few other things that could be improved;

in the real version, during the pre verse wah riff, there's a muted harmonic with a phaser (i think. I can never remember the difference between that and a flanger) just doing a scratch rhythm on the low e string. you might want to add that, just to fill the sound out.

also it's very left and right, it seems empty in the middle. maybe have a 'central' guitar that's in both ears.

other than that it was good. one of my favourite 'tallica songs even if it's not one of their thrashier efforts.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
sound ok. doesn't have the big sound of the original but I'd say that's due to the fact you didn't have a spare couple of grand to go into the studio and record with cranked mesas

one thing I did notice was that the right channel guitar was slightly behind the left channel guitar in a few places and the 2 guitars were allowed to ring out for different lengths of time in some places aswell. it was only a slight difference but it's something that could be improved.

a few other things that could be improved;

in the real version, during the pre verse wah riff, there's a muted harmonic with a phaser (i think. I can never remember the difference between that and a flanger) just doing a scratch rhythm on the low e string. you might want to add that, just to fill the sound out.

also it's very left and right, it seems empty in the middle. maybe have a 'central' guitar that's in both ears.

other than that it was good. one of my favourite 'tallica songs even if it's not one of their thrashier efforts.

Thanks!

I'm the one pretty much in charge of mixing and I've been working on different combinations of guitars and tones used with them, I've figured out a good sound and I'm also now using a new drum VST which helps a lot with the overall depth of sound.

I think we may record another cover for practise with the new methods I've been using.

Thanks for the crit