Finish will be natural. high gloss.
Strat Style Body
Strat Style Neck
2 humbuckers
2 vol, 2 tone
3 way switch
Hard tail bridge
Locking tuners
Graphtech Nut (already ordered for a different project that got put aside)

I'm going to document this entire build on here, and hopefully do a tutorial or something. Thanks for any input guys.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Oct 25, 2008,
why not make it HSH?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you want Tom Morello style solos you might want to get a killswitch in there, or volume controls for each pickup. 3 volume knobs might look a bit goofy though.
Quote by LP Addict
nice piece of wood... whered you get it? =]

Hahaha. Thanks again man. I have been waiting fro something like this for ages.

Quote by oneblackened
why not make it HSH?

I have 2 SSH's, and HH, and my next build will be an HSH, so I want an SSS

Speaking of the pickups, can you guys help me out?

Quote by craigspyke
If you want Tom Morello style solos you might want to get a killswitch in there, or volume controls for each pickup. 3 volume knobs might look a bit goofy though.

Yeah a kill switch might be cool....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Last edited by Øttər at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by craigspyke

that's what i want to do to my strat(style) guitar.

Why would that look goofy?
O O

___
Quote by Øttər
Hahaha. Thanks again man. I have been waiting fro something like this for ages.

I have 2 SSH's, and HH, and my next build will be an HSH, so I want an SSS

Speaking of the pickups, can you guys help me out?

Im not sure it matters too much but definitely anything with a lot of output to compensate for playing single coil? Maybe the Yngwie Signature pickups.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by TheBax
that's what i want to do to my strat(style) guitar.

Why would that look goofy?

Just thinking about the number of knobs you'd have to add for individual pickup volumes, I think it would look a bit cluttered. But I guess it all depends on where you place them.
i'd make it H H.... since youre playing metal... or i'd make it HSS. humbuckers are way more versatile than single coils. but if you're adamant on the single coils then i'd recommend Seymour duncan hot rails. they're like humbuckers in a single coil size.. not exactly sounds like a humbucker but it's a higher output single coil that's way more versatile than just a normal single coil. i might also recommend emg's
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
hope it goes well mate

good luck
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by craigspyke
Just thinking about the number of knobs you'd have to add for individual pickup volumes, I think it would look a bit cluttered. But I guess it all depends on where you place them.

Ohhh.... i was gonna just rewire the tone knobs and me them all volume knobs. But that's because i never touch the tone knobs at all.
O O

___
What about this?

Or, that but in explorer shape? I couldn't find it on kisekae, and the JCS builder doesn't have mahogany options.

Anyone skilled in the ways of photoshop care to to make that into an explorer?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
id get courdroy to help u out with pickups he s a pickup god
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by apak
i'd make it H H.... since youre playing metal... or i'd make it HSS. humbuckers are way more versatile than single coils. but if you're adamant on the single coils then i'd recommend Seymour duncan hot rails. they're like humbuckers in a single coil size.. not exactly sounds like a humbucker but it's a higher output single coil that's way more versatile than just a normal single coil. i might also recommend emg's

+1 youre just gonna end up with a thin warm sound with mahgany and SCs
I thought it said "Monterey Strat" and I was temporarily pissed because that's my current build and I can't compete with you!
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Jesus Christ, that's one hell of a slab of wood!

Definitely go with the fret hammer, or use a rubber mallet or something.. even with a piece of wood between hammer and fret. I did mine bare with a small metalwork hammer, and I need to recrown them.
1) You guys are driving to humbuckers. I'll shop around for some.
2) I have a rubber mallet, but I might just cough up the $20 for a fret hammer.
2-a) Can I buy a pre made fretboard? I.E. pre fretted? I know I'm getting a pre slotted one at least.
3) Chuckflan, I have no doubt that you will have an excellent guitar. They'll be sisters, or brothers... or something lol.
4) Thanks for all the compliments on the mahogany! I get it in 6-10 working days.
4-a) I'd like to buy the last piece but I actually need to make a guitar, instead of blowing my whole wad on your wood.
4-b) lol.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
haha, a normal fret job runs about 100 dollars in the states, a refret is 150-200 (unbound fretboard). i wouldnt charge you that much though. wed have to work something out, the frets would be perfectly level and polished, fingerboard sanded to 4000 grit and a mirror.
Quote by Øttər

3) Chuckflan, I have no doubt that you will have an excellent guitar. They'll be sisters, or brothers... or something lol.

Hey we'll see. Thank you for the kind words. As for your guitar, that wood is a beast. I agree on the humbuckers as well.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I feel it wouldn't really be a custom guitar if I didn't do the frets myself, so I'll have to kindly decline your offer.

Translates to:

I'm poor.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by LP Addict
It is one hell of a piece of wood. you should buy my last one. =]

I wood if you were in the UK

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
haha LP, why did he get his already, but i still havent gotton my blank.? haha just messin
anyways, have fun with this build!
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Øttər
What about this?

Or, that but in explorer shape? I couldn't find it on kisekae, and the JCS builder doesn't have mahogany options.

Anyone skilled in the ways of photoshop care to to make that into an explorer?

Single coil pickups in an explorer?

BLASPHEMY
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Quote by Øttər
1) You guys are driving to humbuckers. I'll shop around for some.
2) I have a rubber mallet, but I might just cough up the $20 for a fret hammer.
2-a) Can I buy a pre made fretboard? I.E. pre fretted? I know I'm getting a pre slotted one at least.
4) Thanks for all the compliments on the mahogany! I get it in 6-10 working days.
4-a) I'd like to buy the last piece but I actually need to make a guitar, instead of blowing my whole wad on your wood.
4-b) lol.
i found a site tht you can buy a strat 21 fret neck. check it out. http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/vistne.html

it has inlays tho... there is a nut on it already too
Go for an earvana nut! Well, look into it for yourself but I've heard good things about them from the guys at my shop.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by craigspyke

Not goofy. Not at all.
Quote by Cabron1
+1 youre just gonna end up with a thin warm sound with mahogany and SCs

The guitarist in my band has a mahogany strat with single coils. They don't sound quite as bright as an alder strat, but they still sound great.

How would one go about clamping on a fingerboard that already has frets on it? You couldn't use normal C-clamps because the higher frets are too close together.
Quote by Øttər
Yeah maybe I'll get some regular strat pickups.

I'd suggest some of those Dimarzio area single coils. they're noiseless, and are real SC's. as far as I know.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 5