Page 1 of 2
I just finished work and got on the bus knackered from running. After a few minutes I asked a guy if he'd mind turning his music down and it was like I'd insulted his mother or something. He started swearing and insulting me, then started threatening me so I left it. He was fiddling round for ages and I kept an eye on him incase he'd carry out any of his threats, smash my face in etc. Then the driver of the bus asked him to turn down his music, it was on a mobile phone but sounded like portable speakers really loud poor hiphop music.

I was going to let it be, no point taking it any further with a person like that. Then as he got off the bus, with something metal and shiney in his hand, (I worried a knife) he leant over me in my seat and said next time I saw him I'd be dead.

Then I kinda lost my rag and punched/pushed him in the face and he went down then I held him in an arm and headlock and told him I'd let him go when he calmed down and promised he wasnt going to kill me with his brother, who he said was waiting at his stop. I let him go and kept my guard while he picked up the stuff he dropped but he still said he'd get me if I got off the bus with him but I doubted he would want to get pwnd twice.

Anyway the bus driver and other passengers were kinda on my side and one of them then said he had seen him with a knife playing with it before so I think all in all I was in the right to defend myself when a threat against my life is made.

However, I don't think he'd go to the police, but he might, so I don't know if I should go to the cops first reporting him, even though I initiated the physical violence. If I don't he also might try something again, we have to get the same bus every day together I think, although I've not seen him before as I've got a lift that I cant get anymore.

This is in UK england where the politicians tell us we should tackle antisocial behaviour ourselves, but I can just see myself ending up in a 10 stretch for GBH for that twat.

Any advice as to what to do would help.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
Since we live in an Orwellian police state, at least one CCTV camera will have seen that he was the aggressor, not you. If anything you should go to the police first, on account of the fact he was carrying a knife, and you have plenty of witnesses to back you up.
tl;dr

Edit: Just read it. You shouldn't have punched the guy, but I doubt he'll go to the police. He sounds like a character that may be in trouble with the law/doing illegal things, so he wouldn't risk it.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Last edited by walkinbazooka at Sep 1, 2008,
Learn krav maga. The next time he tries to knife you break his arm and force the knife into his side.
Do you know the guys name? If so then report him as your actions were quite obviosly self-defence so you're ok
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Oh an important factor is he didn't have his knife in his hand, it was a lighter, which makes me look like using excessive force.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
leave it be...nothing will come of it...and if you see him again and he starts ****..kill him
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
I'm sure you can cope with a bit of music. Sure, he shouldn't have got violent, but you were asking for it. Be a bit more tolerant.
Quote by smb
I'm sure you can cope with a bit of music. Sure, he shouldn't have got violent, but you were asking for it. Be a bit more tolerant.

Asking for it?

'Excuse me? Do you mind turning your music down a bit?'

I could have said, 'Turn that **** off this isnt a f**king club, you wanker or I'll break your neck!' that would have been asking for it, and that is basically his response to me.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
Quote by Bassism
Oh an important factor is he didn't have his knife in his hand, it was a lighter, which makes me look like using excessive force.

He issued you a death threat, that's no laughing matter. Many people would assume what you did, and it sounds like your fellow passengers will back you up. You have nothing to worry about.

Anyway, you're probably blowing it out of proportion. We've all had encounters with random cunts in public, nothing will come of it.
if your going to be on that same route every day i say start carrying a pocket knife they're not illegal. i carry one around in case i encounter people like the one you described.
If he see's you again, he will shit himself. Just be careful from now on just incase you see him...and 10 of his thuggish mates.
Quote by Bassism

There's no such thing as excessive force for people who play music out loud on the bus. Even worse when they sing along. Sounds like you did the right thing anyway and what are the chances you'll ever see the guy again?
Quote by Vermintide
Since we live in an Orwellian police state, at least one CCTV camera will have seen that he was the aggressor, not you. If anything you should go to the police first, on account of the fact he was carrying a knife, and you have plenty of witnesses to back you up.

OMG, Nineteen Eighty Four bandwagon, Verm, I thought better of you. You're right about the cameras, though.

I agree, go to the police, since the politicians and police - whom they control - are so rabid about knife crime, the Metropolitan say it's higher priorty than terrorism, got to the station, tell them everything, give a description and say where you were; they maight be able to find an image of him.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
im pretty sure the definition of self defence is that if you believe you are in immediate danger, so if you thought he was threatening you with a knife you would probsbly have been within your rights to do much more to him then you had.
but i could be completely wrong about that.....
Ibanez RGT42FM w/duncans
Musuc Man JP6, fully loaded
Crybaby 95Q
Boss DD6
Mesa DC-5
Quote by Bassism
Asking for it?

'Excuse me? Do you mind turning your music down a bit?'

I could have said, 'Turn that **** off this isnt a f**king club, you wanker or I'll break your neck!' that would have been asking for it, and that is basically his response to me.
Yes, you were asking for it. You sound like a violent dickhead yourself. I notice you swung the first punch. You're certainly more in the wrong than him.
Quote by smb
Yes, you were asking for it. You sound like a violent dickhead yourself. I notice you swung the first punch. You're certainly more in the wrong than him.

You sound like you must be one of his 'crew'. I'm hardly violent I'm a geeky parttime student, probably 2 or 3 years younger than him.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
Speak softly, but carry a big stick. Now, this is an old quote, and times have changed significantly, so if the theory of evolution is correct that stick is now a gun-toting pterodactyl.
Quote by Bassism
This is in UK england where the politicians tell us we should tackle antisocial behaviour ourselves, but I can just see myself ending up in a 10 stretch for GBH for that twat.

dude...

i feel so sorry for you.

your gonna get hammered by so called "justice"

F8cking communists

Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Bassism
You sound like you must be one of his 'crew'. I'm hardly violent I'm a geeky parttime student, probably 2 or 3 years younger than him.
I don't really care who you are, the fact is you approached someone on a bus who was minding their own business and started a fight with them.
Quote by freddaahh
OMG, Nineteen Eighty Four bandwagon, Verm, I thought better of you.

Come on, they DO over do it a little

//s.p10.hostingprod.com/@spyblog.org.uk/ssl/spookcountry/images/big_brother_f-thumb.jpg" alt="">

I never said I oppose it though. People who complain about having so many CCTV cameras either a) have something to hide, or b) have an unwarranted sense of self importance. At the end of the day I'm fairly certain they do us good.
Well i'm pretty sure making death threats is against the law, and so is punching him without good reason. However, hopefully he'll just leave you alone. In a way, you were both at fault.
Quote by smb

Yea man, you don't just go ahead and ASK people to keep account for you! That's like totally intolerant of you! *ahum*
Come on... The guy just asked if the other guy could turn his music down. And the busdriver asked it as well so it was obviously pretty loud. If you were like playing guitar in a train, and some guy would tell you "hey mate, I was kind of trying to sleep so could you keep it down please?", then what are you going to do? Tell him "No, I'll burn you you intolerant bastard! Me and my friend will slice you up and burry you in a ditch, and if you don't believe me it happens every day. Just check the news"? Or rather something like "oh yea mate, sorry for bothering you"? Or even "Oh I'm sorry, I really don't feel like that"?
Even though you're gonna get trouble over that last one (which you should if you were rlly bothering the guy), isn't the 1st one a bit overreacted? I mean, I don't think ASKING somebody to turn their music down is intolerant :s
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Quote by smb
I don't really care who you are, the fact is you approached someone on a bus who was minding their own business and started a fight with them.

Yup, there wasn't a threat to carry out assault with a deadly weapon on the other parties side over something trivial. You're right though, really. You should be thrown in jail TS, you're a sick man, who the hell do you think you are detaining someone who threatens you with a knife?
Quote by Bassism
I just finished work and got on the bus knackered from running. After a few minutes I asked a guy if he'd mind turning his music down and it was like I'd insulted his mother or something. He started swearing and insulting me, then started threatening me so I left it. He was fiddling round for ages and I kept an eye on him incase he'd carry out any of his threats, smash my face in etc. Then the driver of the bus asked him to turn down his music, it was on a mobile phone but sounded like portable speakers really loud poor hiphop music.

I was going to let it be, no point taking it any further with a person like that. Then as he got off the bus, with something metal and shiney in his hand, (I worried a knife) he leant over me in my seat and said next time I saw him I'd be dead.

Then I kinda lost my rag and punched/pushed him in the face and he went down then I held him in an arm and headlock and told him I'd let him go when he calmed down and promised he wasnt going to kill me with his brother, who he said was waiting at his stop. I let him go and kept my guard while he picked up the stuff he dropped but he still said he'd get me if I got off the bus with him but I doubted he would want to get pwnd twice.

Anyway the bus driver and other passengers were kinda on my side and one of them then said he had seen him with a knife playing with it before so I think all in all I was in the right to defend myself when a threat against my life is made.

However, I don't think he'd go to the police, but he might, so I don't know if I should go to the cops first reporting him, even though I initiated the physical violence. If I don't he also might try something again, we have to get the same bus every day together I think, although I've not seen him before as I've got a lift that I cant get anymore.

Any advice as to what to do would help.

self defence even though you were the one who acted first.

S3(1) Criminal Law Act 1967
A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by smb

He started the fight, if he'd have just said 'no' when I asked him to turn down his music, I'd have turned back around and thought 'worth a try'. Anyone who threatens you on the street is commiting an assault.

There is no CCTV on the bus but there may be some at the bus station, though I doubt it. Only punch was a guy at the back who I don't think would say anything about the whole thing, but about 10 passengers heard the first threat, but since this is England they'd never say anything either...
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
Quote by smb

Dude, he didn't start a fight
he asked him to turn his music down.
Some people are raised with the thought that "asking doesn't hurt anybody". You're the one being intolerant of other ppl if you're bothering everybody else, and if you're gonna start shouting for no reason at all you're also the one that's starting a fight for fun.
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
he was right to whack the chav, end of. by hitting him he probably helped alot of people feel safer.

there are too many idiots like that going round intimidating and scaring people and they need sorting out.

The stupid chav obviously started it so he should be punished accordingly, which he was.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Base Ics
Dude, he didn't start a fight
he asked him to turn his music down.
Some people are raised with the thought that "asking doesn't hurt anybody". You're the one being intolerant of other ppl if you're bothering everybody else, and if you're gonna start shouting for no reason at all you're also the one that's starting a fight for fun.
Of course he started it. It wasn't a fight until he punched the guy, so he started the fight.

Getting threatened isn't sufficient reason to assault someone. It certainly puts you far more in the wrong, in the eyes of the law.
Quote by smb
Of course he started it. It wasn't a fight until he punched the guy, so he started the fight.

Getting threatened isn't sufficient reason to assault someone. It certainly puts you far more in the wrong, in the eyes of the law.

Sad thing is people are falling for your trolling
Quote by Vermintide

Sad thing is people are falling for your trolling
You're more than welcome to argue against me if you disagree.
Quote by smb

erm yes it is.

in fact threatening someone can count as assault.

so really the guy assaulted him first.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by smb

So you're saying...
That I could hold a gun to your head and tell you to give me all your money or I'll shoot your brains out, and that would be fully legal UNLESS I'd actually pull the trigger?
Thank your m8, you just gave me a brilliant idea of a perfectly legal job!
Quote by Retro Rocker

haha

*wipes tear from eye*
Oh you're good.
Quote by smb
You're more than welcome to argue against me if you disagree.

see

Quote by Lemoninfluence
S3(1) Criminal Law Act 1967
A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large

No matter which way you look at it, "Next time I see you, you're dead", when said party is suspected of carrying a knife, is intimidation and grounds for self defence.
The person could do more time than you could for carrying a sharp bladed object in public than you could for self defence (which it was, a face-to-face death threat)

♥ ♥

Newfags can't Loveforce.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Yamaha Pacifica
Peavey JD acoustic
Vox AC30VT
I honestly didn't acctually see him with a knife until I saw something that could have been anything metal but what kind of metal object do you conseal in your hand as you threaten someone?

Take it out of the 'knifing thug' context and is it still justifiable? Obviously if I've I'd seen the knife its fine, but maybe I fell into stereotypes due to all the media focus on knifecrime.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hitler, is that you?
Quote by Bassism
I honestly didn't acctually see him with a knife until I saw something that could have been anything metal but what kind of metal object do you conseal in your hand as you threaten someone?

Take it out of the 'knifing thug' context and is it still justifiable? Obviously if I've I'd seen the knife its fine, but maybe I fell into stereotypes due to all the media focus on knifecrime.

doesn't matter whether there was a knife or not. if you thought, at the time, that he did have a knife then you'd be perfectly justified in your actions.

even without a knife, you'd only be preventing him from attacking you. It's not like when he was incapacitated, you got a few sly digs in. I'd say you're safe.

Quote by element4433
Carry a bigger knife.

Oh wait, you live in Airstrip One, never mind. You're ****ed.

Quote by Bassism

Page 1 of 2