Page 1 of 2
So, I just found out twords the end of the year I'm going to be getting paid for an unexpected project and I decided on rewarding myself for a year of hard work. I just need a place to bounce a few thoughts around and get some feedback.

So here's the situation. I'm setting aside about $2000 for guitar gear. My current gear is in my signature. I play a wide range of music so I really want a versatile amp with emphasis on heavy tone. I mostly play Metal(80s stuff to Dethklok, CoB and Protest the Hero), I love Ska, I love Classic rock and Experimental. I'm thinking I want the cleans to be more sparkly rather than warm and my gain to be punchy and tight.

A couple of things I was thinking:

Sell my Screamer 50, bringing my total to around $3000 and getting

ENGL Savage
ENGL Invader
Koch Multitone II
EVH 5150 III, looks worth a look
Rocktron Vendetta
Splawn Nitro/Quickrod (Dunno about versatility though)

Any of those plus a 2x12

OR
Keep the Screamer and buy something to compliment it... like maybe an AC30 or Rocker 30, something a little warmer and classic sounding.

At this stage I'm still putting together a list of thing to go try out, but there are a few I'm going to have problems with like the ENGLs, the Koch and the Splawns.

So I'm looking for other suggestions and opinions.

guys!
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I think the EVH would do everything you want. It's got fender cleans, the crunch channel is great and the lead channel is supposed to be amazing. I think a splawn would be good too, plus you would have money left over to get a fender for a nice sparkly clean.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I believe the EVH will do you quite nicely; Fender cleans + m3g4br00t4lz = EVH 5150III. I wish I could afford one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
a used mesa lonestar classic head and a used peavey 5150 head should do everything you want, and then some.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
A 5150III is not the best for tight punchy gain IMO. It's a little loose on the low end as its meant for leads and not rythym playing. It will do everything else you want though.
But the Invader can do all that and more.
If i were you, I'd get the Invader in a heartbeat.
It has a high gain rythym and lead channel (three and four respectively), each with their own set of eq's and voicing.
The second channel can get you those classic rock tones.
Cleans I'm not too sure about, but from some of the clips i've listened to they sound quite nice.

Invader all the way for me
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Well the 5150 III is easy enough to try out, Ive seen 'em at a few shops.

I'd rather not get a 6505/5150, I tried them a while ago and I didn't dig it to be honest, I would rather stick with the screamer plus a different combo.

Thanks for the input so far,
Anything else I should look at?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
A 5150III is not the best for tight punchy gain IMO. It's a little loose on the low end as its meant for leads and not rythym playing. It will do everything else you want though.
But the Invader can do all that and more.
If i were you, I'd get the Invader in a heartbeat.
It has a high gain rythym and lead channel (three and four respectively), each with their own set of eq's and voicing.
The second channel can get you those classic rock tones.
Cleans I'm not too sure about, but from some of the clips i've listened to they sound quite nice.

Invader all the way for me

Ok, thanks for the input

I still gotta give it a try but I'm getting more of an idea what to look at. Did you try it with an OD? That might tighten it up a bit, not sure though.

The Invader was kind of my number 1 choice, but the Davedoom said something that kind of bothered me in the ENGL thread, I cant remember exactly but he said something about it being a 1 trick pony. I asked him to elaborate but I didn't get a response. Not that I'm going take what has been said as law, but I want to look at other options too.

What's that site that has tons of user uploaded sound tests for amps? I'm tired of drudging through the crappy webcam video tests on youtube.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by TheShred201
Couple notes--first, you could get a used Engl SE for 3k. Also though, look into VHT--the pitbull ultralead is about 3300, so it's just over your price. The Sig X is very nice too.

I also need a cab though, but if I can find an SE for under 3k I'd consider it.

I am very interested in the Sig:X, looks like a killer amp. How is the pitbull cl100 compared to the ultralead? I realize it is about a grand less but I thought I would ask anyways. Unless I find a great deal on an ultralead I don't think I'll be spending that much.

The powerball looks nice, I'll consider it. I think the savage or invader would be a little more suited for the versatility that I want, the powerball is pretty "balls to the wall"
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I bet you could get a Mark IV to do all that. Only problem is its warmer than sparkly but its very versatile and is the definition of tight.
Typically, Used VHT's aren't that expensive, it shouldn't be hard to find one for well under your mark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VHT-Pittbull-Ultra-Lead-Head-G-100-UL-Guitar-Amp-Mint_W0QQitemZ130250726267QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See what I mean? Granted, that one doesn't have an graphic EQ, but I've seen ones with the EQ go for less than that before so...I don't know much about the CL100 versus the ultralead...From the CL series, the CL-X is the counterpart to the UL.
Oh wow, I didn't know people let them go so cheap.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep my eye out. The UL looks like a monster of an amp.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
A spyder iii can do all u want nd morre!!11!!

/Trolling

I would take a look at the Engater Tourmaster or a Mesa Road King. The RK's cleans are more on the warm side though unfortunatley, but I'm sure it could be tweaked to sparkle

Maybe even a Orange Rockerverb 100, though that may be the fanboy coming out in me
In your situation:

1) Used ENGL SE (there is one on HC now for $2650 shipped I believe)
2) New Mesa Roadster or Roadking, and under budget
3) ENGL Savage or Powerball
4) Axe FX

I'd avoid the Invader if you want mid gain.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by bartdevil_metal
A spyder iii can do all u want nd morre!!11!!

/Trolling

I would take a look at the Engater Tourmaster or a Mesa Road King. The RK's cleans are more on the warm side though unfortunatley, but I'm sure it could be tweaked to sparkle

Maybe even a Orange Rockerverb 100, though that may be the fanboy coming out in me

Wow, the tourmaster looks pretty sick. I really like the 10 to 100 watt variability and the vintage to modern switch. On paper it looks like a really well thought out amp with tons of features at a fairly cheap price. I will definitely be checking this one out in person.

Quote by rwalby9
In your situation:

1) Used ENGL SE (there is one on HC now for $2650 shipped I believe)
2) New Mesa Roadster or Roadking, and under budget
3) ENGL Savage or Powerball
4) Axe FX

I'd avoid the Invader if you want mid gain.

The SE is veeeery tempting, I can't buy it untill I get paid for this project though which will be next month or November.

I gotta try the Roadking out again, I didn't think it was worth the price last time I tried it but maybe my ears have changed

I actually thought the Invader was going to be better than the Powerball in the mid-gain department, maybe not though...

I never heard of the Axe FX before, I'll take a look.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
If you talk to the guy selling the SE you may be able to have him hold it for you for 1-2 months. Depends on why he's selling it really.

From what I've heard the invader is better than the powerball for mid gain and isn't a one trick pony I've yet to here more detailed reviews from the people saying otherwise...

Regarding 10-100 watts--Rivera has this on some of their amps too, though it's 12 to 100 watts. At least in rivera's case, it's from a high/low power switch and a vintage/modern switch. As a note, the vintage/modern switch does affect the tone a lot. Simply put, it makes it sound more vintage or more modern :-P I can probably give a more detailed description later if you'd like.
Splawn EFing Quickrod...

The cleans are more chimey and bright than they are warm and punchy. So its a good clean, obviously your not talking a fender clean though.

There is enough gain on that amp for you to do any thing from classic rock to freaking pantera.
I don't if you have anywhere you could try the Randall RM series. If you want versatility, they'll do about anything you want. Just buy a different module.
Quote by thefrigginbob
Wow, the tourmaster looks pretty sick. I really like the 10 to 100 watt variability and the vintage to modern switch. On paper it looks like a really well thought out amp with tons of features at a fairly cheap price. I will definitely be checking this one out in person.

The SE is veeeery tempting, I can't buy it untill I get paid for this project though which will be next month or November.

I gotta try the Roadking out again, I didn't think it was worth the price last time I tried it but maybe my ears have changed

I actually thought the Invader was going to be better than the Powerball in the mid-gain department, maybe not though...

I never heard of the Axe FX before, I'll take a look.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it

The SE really is a hell of an amp man. You WILL want the MIDI controller for it though, which is another like $400 new ish?

The Roadking really is love/hate. Its in between the Mark and Rectifier series in terms of tone, but it will do any genre you throw at it no problem.

The Invader is more of a high gain beast. It has the clean channel but then the other three are all capable of different voiced high gain tones. This is from my point of view, anyway.

The Axe FX is a newer toy. Its big on HC and starting to gain some popularity. Apparently its modern digital modeling at it's best. The clean and lower gain clips I've heard are great, and there are a few good high gain ones out there. Its sort of an all-in-one unit.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
The Randall RM series looks cool, but I have a feeling I will always want to be buying new modules. I will take a look at the Egnater and the Randall though and see what I think.

The ENGL SE kinda scares me

So lets say I find one used for 2600, plus MIDI Controller for 400, plus I would still need a cab and that is pushing to $3500(at least). Now considering that the amp is 4k new that is a good deal but I just think it might be a little too much for me to spend right now. My hunny is already on the edge for me spending what I am

Lucky I have a really cool local shop down the street from me that carries quite a few Mesa amps, so I'll give the roadking another chance.

One thing that I really like about ENGLs is the simple interface(except for the SE )
Even with the Invader and Savage having so many tone shaping controls it is still pretty intuitive and easy to get the tone you want.

I honestly don't think I can handle the Axe FX, it is just too much.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by TheShred201
Most people that are selling it used I'd imagine'd have one of the engl controllors with it.....They don't pop up used that often though.

Yeah I suppose you are right.
I'll keep my eyes open for one more around the time that I have the cash to buy it.
How's your Rivera?
Is it discontinued?

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Get a Vox AC30 and a Mark IV.

I'm not a huge fan of the mark IV, Id rather go for a Savage or Powerball at that price.

I need to find an Invader owner, if anyone knows someone who owns one let me know, I'm still getting conflicting reports on this amp(which worries me because it was the amp I was most leaning twords)

Maybe an ENGL Fireball and an Orange AD30HTC/Rocker 30? That's really stretching it though, plus I would need an ABy switch...

hmm... Maybe something High gain and a tiny terror for the classic rock stuff I play(doesn't really need to be that loud)

I'd rather go with a single amp but if I can't find the sounds I want in one Ill look for 2 cheaper amps.

Just kind of putting down what comes across my mind.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
^I know a guy that uses invaders and loves them, I may be able to ask him some questions about them for ya if I talk to him soon.

My rivera is quite nice, it's just very hard to get (I've only ever seen one used--I don't think there's another amp that I've only ever seen once used, including rare vintage stuff like dumbles and trainwrecks)--it's more of that they never actually released them and you had to custom order them than that they were discontinued. If I can tomorrow I'll write a bit about it for you.
you could ask Bulb on the sevenstring.org forums.
He has an Invader 100, sounds absolutely killer!
I've heard some clips of the Invader doing an awesome mid-gain tone as well.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
ENGL Invader or SE head.

Or maybe a Diezel Herbert or VH4 if you can find one really cheap used. :p

Actually, why not save up a little more for one of those? Diezel makes (basically) the most versatile amps out there, so that and maybe a matching Diezel Cab or one of the various "boutique" 2x12 companies out there.
you really have a ton of options. a brunetti xlr-evo would be worth a look, as would a (second-hand, presumably) bogner ecstacy (in addition to everything you're currently looking at). vhts are very nice too. and diezel...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Have you had the chance to play a Brunetti before? I've noticed a second hand one lying around GAK's showroom which I think i'll have to go try out. Have a feeling its the XLR - evo..

Are they in the same group of amps as VHT's, Bogners etc?
Hey, Beagle Boy ! Guitar Center on Stevens Creek has an Egnater 1/2 stack there. I heard some really great player checking it out when I was there last week. I think the tone is decent, but for $3000, you can get better. You need to hit Gelb Music on El Camino Real in Redwood City. They have so many cool amps, you'll get wood (they have Bogner, Div by 13, EVH 5150 III, Dr Z, Mesa, Fuchs Audio, & many others). Also, GC on Van Ness Ave in SF has Soldanos & VHTs, as well as Mesas, although they're probably not what you're after. If you want to try out Kustoms, Guitar Hospital in Los Gatos (behind Pedro's restaurant) has some.
If you want someone to go with you, pm me. I love going to Gelb.
Congrats on the extra cash coming!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Yeah man I looooooove gelb, you suggested I check it out last time I was looking for an amp. Awesome store and the staff was even pretty nice.

I'm still totally up in the air about what amp to get, every time I think I'm coming close I totally change my mind

There are so many sick amps but then there is always one a LITTLE more expensive.
I'd love a Bogner or Soldano or a VHT, but I think if I spend 3 grand or more my significant other will be a little peeved.

Luckily I still have plenty of time before I get paid and I love looking for amps so there's no rush or anything.

The things thats pretty weird is that I actually really like my screamer, so it feels strange looking for a different amp. Oh well, I may end up getting a Rocker 30 as a nice "brother" for my current amp, or maybe a nice guitar, but I'm not giving up just yet.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I say Splawn quickrod.

or a AC30 and a mark IV
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
try to find a bogner ecstasy
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by thefrigginbob
Yeah man I looooooove gelb, you suggested I check it out last time I was looking for an amp. Awesome store and the staff was even pretty nice.

I'm still totally up in the air about what amp to get, every time I think I'm coming close I totally change my mind

There are so many sick amps but then there is always one a LITTLE more expensive.
I'd love a Bogner or Soldano or a VHT, but I think if I spend 3 grand or more my significant other will be a little peeved.

Luckily I still have plenty of time before I get paid and I love looking for amps so there's no rush or anything.

The things thats pretty weird is that I actually really like my screamer, so it feels strange looking for a different amp. Oh well, I may end up getting a Rocker 30 as a nice "brother" for my current amp, or maybe a nice guitar, but I'm not giving up just yet.

I was undecided when shopping for my last amp, too, until I played the 5150 III (which I tried immediately after checking out an Uberschall for 45 min). I knew within 30 seconds of hearing the EVH amp that I MUST HAVE IT! Again, that was right after playing an Uberschall, which is saying something. I re-read your original post, I think the EVH would be great for you. The 5150 III should be plenty tight, & the EQ controls work well. It really can do everything really well, MUCH better overall than a Mesa Mark IV IMO, & without the fussiness of the Mesa. It's so easy to get great tone from a 5150 III, that it's going to force other amp makers to up their game. God help other amp makers if Fender decides to make a smaller 50W version of this amp with only the high-gain channel!! They couldn't make them fast enough if they sold them for like $700-$800. You wouldn't need the expensive footswitch & cable either.
I still like your Rocker 30 idea, though. I've wanted one for years, but always wound up buying something a bit better when I got the cash, but the little 30W is so cool. Easy to transport, great classic tones. It sounds a bit tighter to me than the bigger Oranges too, IMO. I really can't explain it.
You could always get a 5150 III on ebay for $1499 like I did, & still have enough for a Tiny Terror, AND keep your Engl . It just doesn't get any better !!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Page 1 of 2