I always hear about strat copies all the time... Aren't there brands that make high end LP copies ?
uh.. Gibon makes some nice ones
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Burny, Greco, Tokai, Edwards, and Orville, though Orville is really just Gibson Japan. Ibanez made some damn nice ones back in the day, too.

And if you can find an old Electra, with the wacky electronics, those are good, too.
Edwards
ESP/LTD
Agile
Epiphone
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
tokai
Tokai love rock les paul
Vintage V99 les paul
Squire Strat
Peavy Raptor
Ibanez sgt130 acoustic j200
Digitech EX-7 expression pedal
Behringer acoustic modeler
Orange crush 3
Vox AD30VT
Umm...how has nobody said Hagstrom? That'd totally be my first choice.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Originally Posted by Flying Couch
Neither of these are really copies, though - no more than a 335 is a copy of some big Gretsch. :\ They have similarities, but they're different enough to not be called "copies."

Just IMO I can't see the point in getting a high end "copy" of another guitar unless there is large enough differences. Like if I was in the market for a Les Paul and played rock. I'd buy a Les Paul instead of an exact replica by another company
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Just IMO I can't see the point in getting a high end "copy" of another guitar unless there is large enough differences. Like if I was in the market for a Les Paul and played rock. I'd buy a Les Paul instead of an exact replica by another company

The difference between an Edwards and a Gibson, aside from what's on the headstock, is bang-for-buck factor. This is what generally motivates people to buy copies. The same thing, or almost the same thing, for maybe two thirds of the price.

I totally understand some people wanting a Gibson, though. I mean, I'm like that about acoustic guitars - if it doesn't say Martin, Alvarez, Washburn or Taylor on it, odds are I'm not interested.
Originally Posted by Flying Couch
The difference between an Edwards and a Gibson, aside from what's on the headstock, is bang-for-buck factor. This is what generally motivates people to buy copies. The same thing, or almost the same thing, for maybe two thirds of the price.

I totally understand some people wanting a Gibson, though. I mean, I'm like that about acoustic guitars - if it doesn't say Martin, Alvarez, Washburn or Taylor on it, odds are I'm not interested.

Yeah I know what you mean. Personally I'd take a PRS over a Gibson any day regardless of cost (if I could afford both)
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
navigator and high-end tokais are two which spring to mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also the reason there are so many Strat copies and so few Les Paul copies? There are of course legal reasons: Fender does NOT own the copyright for the Strat body (or any of their body designs for that matter. They only have copyright of the headstock). However Gibson does. Why do you call the 70's and 80's Les Paul copies for lawsuits? Because they were sued by Gibson and Gibson won. Why was the PRS Singlecut taken away for some time? Because Gibson sued them for plagarising on the Les Paul design. Gibon lost and the PRS was taken back. Also there is a practical reason: Strats are very simple guitars. They are simple to build, since they use one piece of wood. The neck is a bolt on and all the electronic is mounted in the pickguard. Also they are very simple to modify. They don't cost a lot to make and use generally cheap parts, meaning that you can get a great guitar for a lower price. Alder is also very common and is cheap to get by. Les Pauls are very complicated however. They're made from Mahogany, which is expensive and much harder to come by. Not only that but they have a maple cap, which is very expensive and much harder to put on. This requiers more labour and costs much more. Secondly the neck is a set neck, meaning it takes more time and is much harder to do. The electronics are routed in the body, meaning a lot of work. I own both a Les Paul and a Strat and when working with a Strat it's a breeze: You can just solder of the input jack and take out the pickgaurd more or less and work on that. The Les Paul is much harder to work on, having to run wires through the body and so on. Plus if you do a Les Paul copy you run the risk of getting sued, which isn't a good thing at all for the company.

Hence Strats are much easier to build and easier to produce and you don't run the risk of being sued. Plus they're more versatile, it's easy to add things like a Floyd Rose, 24 fret neck, humbuckers, different woods and so on.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Tokai.........both for strats and les paul,I have not played there sg, I would like to have a go though.

come and buy mine in classified its only £380 japanese and killer
Epiphone (Elitist series or older Korean models), Tokai (almost all of their models), and ESP (the top LTD's and all the actual ESP-branded models). Those are the best of the bunch right there.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There are some uninformed people here.. I just bought an Epiphone les paul custom. They arn't copies really because epiphone is owned by gibson and their guitars are liscensed from gibson. They just make "cheaper" versions.
Quote by papersun87
Yes.
"as to why not a Hagstrom"

Not truly a copy...but definitely a truly awesome choice!
Quote by FireandFlames

thats what I would say. Much better than any gibby Iv ever played. (tho one custom shop goldtop I played was pretty decent)
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd