Hey all,

I'm trying to decide on what pickup to put into my guitar I'm making and I have a question. I have a 10k GFS Hot Rail that I could use in the bridge position, but would this be adequate? I believe most bridge pickups are rated around 14 or so? I'm really not good at all this electronic stuff so I need some advice here.

I'm really looking for a Pearl Jamesque tone, but would also like it to be able to handle some hard-rock type gain. With the lower rating, I understand that the output will be less which will drive my amp less, correct? Will I be able to achieve a heavier sound with a 10k pickup in the bridge?

I use a Blackheart 5w with a Bad Monkey for a boost. In case it matters, the body material is chambered ash core with maple back and top.

Hope I explained my situation well enough. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback I receive.

Cheers,
Dan
I don't think you're going to need a very hot pickup for pearl jam. I would think any humbucker would work will the amp you have.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Right, I'm not worried about achieving that sort of tone. However, I do end up using a heavier sound sometimes and I'm concerned I won't be able to get that level of grit out of a 10k pickup and my current amp.
what type of tone are you looking for when you say harder rock and heavier sounds? im sure you could get up to like GNR, but not much more
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
The amount of gain I'd like to reach is in my profile under the song titled "Band Jam (new song?)" In it I'm using my Blackheart and a guitar with a Duncan JB in the bridge.
You should be looking at pedals and amps, IMO, if you want a heavier sound. A pickup doesn't have THAT much bearing on your tone.
You should be fine with your current setup.

Think about this: Black Sabbath, Lamb of God, Led Zeppelin, and Cream are all bands who use/used pickups with what would be considered "vintage" level of output.