This has confused me for years sadly. Anyway, lets say I have a minor pentatonic scale:

I have no idea what to do with this. I'm trying to learn how to come up with my own solos and whatnot, I just need pointers on how to follow this scale and play all the notes correctly.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you... - Abomino Aetas
you play it just like it looks. 1st fret 6 string, then 4th fret 6 string. 1st fret 5 string and so on.
its like if you lay your guitar on your lap and look down at the fretboard view with the black and red notes on the board being the ones you hit with your fingers
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
I'm not SURE about this, so you'd have to have someone explain more fully, however.

With the 1st string being the high e, the 6th being the low E, you would play 1st fret then 4th fret on the low E string, 1st and 3rd on the A string, 1st and 3rd on the D string, 1st and 3rd on the G string, 1st and 4th on the B string, and 1st and 4th on the high e string.

The red notes are the scale's root notes, each one of them is an A note or something like that.

However, the thing that confuses me is the point past this, where people discuss things like 'A minor in the 5th position' etc. etc. or Moveable scales
alright see the numbers that equals which finger is being placed there.
1=pointer
2-middle
3=ring
4-pinky
so say you take the a minor pentatonic scale. Start on the fifth fret. Now thats where your pointer finger goes first, it frets the 5th, then you take your pinky and place it on the eighth. Go down to the next string (fifth string/A string) You fret the fifth with your pointer, and then fret the seventh with your ring. ETC.., do you get it. And you read it like tab.
Quote by ldzppln81
you play it just like it looks. 1st fret 6 string, then 4th fret 6 string. 1st fret 5 string and so on.
its like if you lay your guitar on your lap and look down at the fretboard view with the black and red notes on the board being the ones you hit with your fingers

Quote by guitargod131
alright see the numbers that equals which finger is being placed there.
1=pointer
2-middle
3=ring
4-pinky
so say you take the a minor pentatonic scale. Start on the fifth fret. Now thats where your pointer finger goes first, it frets the 5th, then you take your pinky and place it on the eighth. Go down to the next string (fifth string/A string) You fret the fifth with your pointer, and then fret the seventh with your ring. ETC.., do you get it. And you read it like tab.

This is exactly how you do it.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
It's a diagram of the fretboard notes/finger positions as if you lay the guitar flat on your lap and are looking down on it.

You start from the bottom line, that's your low E string, play the notes in sequence going upwards, ideally alternate picking (down, up, down up etc) shuffling your fingers vertically down the fretboard and back up. The red numbers are the root notes of the scale, to write solo's or licks you don't need to play the scale from start to finish, just bits and pieces in the right keys.
Scales aren't really something you play, they're something you use. That pattern you have is one snippet of a scale that covers the entire neck. To understand it you need to know the notes it contains and likewise where all the notes occur on the fretboard.

Read the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section, they'll help you make sense of the patterns.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com