Ok, i am thinking of starting to learn and eventually gig as a solo bassist. I was just wondering any songs that could be played in a set.

So far i have:

Teen Town by Weather Report
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) by Metallica

I was also thinking if songs such that feature bass as the primary instrument could be used. Such as Maxwell Muder by Rancid or YYZ by Rush.

Also, could this work? I think it could.

Thanks In Advance,
KieronC07
you could do some really recognizable bass-lines like that one song from grease... I cant remember the name

would you be doing vocals as well or just bass (and maybe drums?)
i wouldnt be singing, i havent decided on drums yet. i have a drum machine i could just use that.
Assuming you would be playing open mic nights in pubs and cafes more than anything, I wouldn'y play YYZ or Pulling Teeth(or similar). Teen Town would be a very good one, as would other more jazzy pieces, and also some motown like Stevie Wonder or the jackson 5? Things that people will really recognise. (Assuming you'll be playing open mic nghts in pubs and cafes)
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
i would try to get gigs as i am friends with a lot of bands in my area, however there are venues nearby that do open mic nights, so i would be preparing for both.
could be an idea.

any more ideas of solo bass songs or song featuring bass mainly?
While I think this is a neat idea, I just don't see it as being entertaining. I think in order to pull this off, you're going to have to really spice up the songs since the bass doesn't really present itself as a stand alone instrument. You're arrangements, in my opinion, should really explore the song as a whole and not just the note for note covers of the bassline.
i understand that. i just thought to put some songs that could be played with a backing track even that people would recognise to keep them entertained. i have some parts of songs that could be used but thought to throw the odd cover in could work. thanks for the tip though.
VIRIDIAN

/thread
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by ohhey9040
I know you already have some Jaco in your setlist, but try Portraits of Tracy. It's a beautiful song and it sounds pretty full with just a bass.

This.

Also, possibly some Wooten. Amazing Grace? Classical Thump?

Some Stu Hamm as well.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by ohhey9040
I know you already have some Jaco in your setlist, but try Portraits of Tracy. It's a beautiful song and it sounds pretty full with just a bass.

What do you mean it sounds pretty full. It IS a bass solo piece.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
'A Leg End In His Own Boots' by Ned's Atomic Dustbin.

If you've never heard of them they're a British band that has two bass players, one bassy rhythm bass and one trebly lead bass.
This particular song isn't particularly hard to play with a little practice, but it has some wonderfully tasteful bass lines in it
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Sep 3, 2008,