Heya!

So ive been playing guitar for about 9 months now and have become decent.

But anyway to get to the point. I always just play random notes in a scale and not really thinking to much when i improvise. So my problem is that i want to get in control and really play what i want to so i really can put emotion in to my playing and not wind up like some boring shredder.

So are there any tips,excersises,lessons or techniques that i can use to get more in control of my guitar?

So really my question is, how do i get to know my fretboard better and put the melodies in my head on to my guitar?
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by RCalisto
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345&q=melodic+control

and don't get too enthusiastic about how people say you're a god lol
some even get admired by someone strumming the simplest of chords. oh yeah. i've witnessed it.

Yeah i know im not too great just think im a little bit better(note too much) than most of the people thats been playing around my time.

And yeah people that know **** about guitar tend to get amazed by someone strumming standard chords. But i the people that told me im good are people that has played guitar for around 12 years.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Sep 1, 2008,
marty friedman- melodic control (video.google.com)
actually after that check out his exotic metal solo videos (youtube).
and yeah, dont get a big head, if you think you're good for how long you've been playing, don't think you're the only one. come back when you've learned to improvise well over changing chords.
When in doubt, play pentatonics
Ok i removed the comment where i said i thought i was good so people can focus on my question
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Gord@k
Heya!

So ive been playing guitar for about 9 months now and have become practised 25 hours a day.

But anyway to get to the point. I always just play random notes in a scale and not really thinking to much when i improvise. So my problem is that i want to get in control and really play what i want to so i really can put emotion in to my playing and not wind up like some boring shredder.

So are there any tips,excersises,lessons or techniques that i can use to get more in control of my guitar?

So really my question is, how do i get to know my fretboard better and put the melodies in my head on to my guitar?

Find some music to cut your teeth on.

btw you do know there is only 24 hours in a day right ?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 2, 2008,
Learn songs, really well, play along with them, use a metronome when appropriate (not helpful twoards expression but what the hell). Learn theory too, that will help. If you want to improve your improv then look into some jazz stuff. Jazz musicians pwn everybody, especially with the improvisational material.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Quote by Gord@k
Heya!

So ive been playing guitar for about 9 months now and have become practised 25 hours a day.

your so good you've become your practice for an amount of time that doesn't exist but anyways...

jazz is good, try practicing certain sounds you like to kind of build a template to your improv.
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by Gord@k
Ok i removed the comment where i said i thought i was good so people can focus on my question

Don't be ashamed of being proud of your progress! As long as you know that every goal achieved opens the door to 10 more goals not yet achieved, then this is a normal and good reaction. What are you supposed to do? Spend the next 20 years thinking you suck, then finally relent and admit that you only kind of suck for the next 20 years after that? The joy of realizing that you are improving is part of the reward for all the hard work you put in.

As to the actual question, everyone else covered it pretty well, so nothing to add right now.
think of what you play... that would do the job?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
You want to visualise melodies and then play them?

Practice by... *drumroll*... visualising melodies and trying to play them!

That said, investing some time in transcription and vibrato will do a lot for you.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Find some music to cut your teeth on.

btw you do know there is only 24 hours in a day right ?

Pfft there is 36 hours in a day. Learn your clock silly.

Update: OK so i have started to think about what i play and i almost imediatly started playing much better, so i guess i really only needed to think more. ANd i havee also looked inte to the Marty Friedman thing but havent have time to view it yet but it seems cool.
My gear:
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Sep 4, 2008,
Learn parts of this song, If you can learn licks and extend them around the fretboard you can creates some awesome flowing runs to use in your improvising then learn how to play over chord changes and some other theory and there ya go!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1oukoPmAM

Do NOT try the full song learn little licks in the son or it will rape you.........seriously it will

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by Gord@k
Pfft there is 36 hours in a day. Learn your clock silly.

Update: OK so i have started to think about what i play and i almost imediatly started playing much better, so i guess i really only needed to think more. ANd i havee also looked inte to the Marty Friedman thing but havent have time to view it yet but it seems cool.

So what songs/riffs/solos can you play ? Do you have them memorized ? can you play them and make them sound authentic?
shred is gaudy music
If you want to work on expression my suggestion is work on blues.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.