sorry if i spelt that wrong..
but, im trying to figure out minor pentatonic scales
and im totally lost, help please?
1, 3, 4, 5, and 7th notes.

Eg.
E minor is E F# G A B C D E

You take E, G, A, B, and D.
Until you ask a more specific question, I can only refer you to the lesson in my sig.

What is it that confuses you?

BTW, your spelling is right, so you've got one aspect of the scale down at least!

Quote by Chikao42
1, 3, 4, 5, and 7th notes.

Eg.
E minor is E F# G A B C D E

You take E, G, A, B, and D.
That's a dangerous way of thinking and terrible way of teaching. You always compare a scale to its parallel major.

ie

A Major scale: A B C# D E F# G#
Apply 1 b3 4 5 b7 to it and get Am Pentatonic: A C D E G.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 1, 2008,
He only wanted to know the minor pentatonic scales... If he had asked for the proper way of teaching, I would've shown him that, haha.

The only "dangerous" way of looking at it, imo, is if you don't learn the individual rules for the major, and other modes.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

That's a dangerous way of thinking and terrible way of teaching. You always compare a scale to its parallel major.

exactly
or comparing it to its relative minor works as well
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Well, ive been "trying" to memorize them
but like how do i write a solo using pentatonic scales?

sorry im new to all this, i understand how i sound like a noob..
Try to learn the minor pentatonic scales from a book or something, so you know the 5 different positions.

Then just play around with them, or look at SRV, Tony Iommi, how they use them, and just incorporate their phrases and then try to expand on them.
Quote by ESPM100
but like how do i write a solo using pentatonic scales?
You steal some Hendrix and SRV licks and then put in some of your own ideas of how to ascend and descend the scale (not kidding).

How do you make your own ideas? Well, you just fool around with the scale and find nice licks.

All of this becomes easier once you understand greater music theory, so I suggest you read my sig up until modes are discussed (very confusing topic). You can also skip the section on the Circle of Fifths for now.
well, in november my schools having a talent show.
and i wanna do a zakk wylde similar solo
like last year i won, and i had no idea about keys, and scales (still dont)
and i was just hitting notes, so i thought this time if i knew what i was doing then itd be beter, you know?

its just that someone long ago said, if you wanna do a solo, you should know scales.
so yeah, ill check out your lessons
A minor Pentatonic scales.

e------------------------------------------------------------------3---5-------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------3---5------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------------2---5-----------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------2----5---------------------------------------------------------
A--------------------3-----5---------------------------------------------------------------------
E------3-----5-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e-------------------------------------------------------5---8------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------5----8----------------------------------------------
G----------------------------------5--7----------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------5---7------------------------------------------------------------------
A--------------5----7----------------------------------------------------------------------------
E---5----8---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e-----------------------------------------------------------------8----10-------------------------
B-----------------------------------------------------8---10--------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------------7-----9------------------------------------------------
D----------------------------7----10--------------------------------------------------------------
A----------------7---10---------------------------------------------------------------------------
E---8----10---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------10---12----------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------10---13----------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------9---12----------------------------------------
D------------------------------------10----12------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------10----12---------------------------------------------------------------------
E------10----12------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------12---15----------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------12---15----------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------12---14----------------------------------------
D------------------------------------12----14------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------12----15---------------------------------------------------------------------
E------12----15------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use the root note of the second scale down as your basis for understanding what key your In being on the A and these being minor pentatonic shapes these will wrok in the key of A minor, move them accordingly up and down the fretboard for other minor keys.
Last edited by LittleKnowItAll at Sep 1, 2008,
LittleKnowItAll, thats what ive been using
and can it be moved ANYWHERE?
like insted of starting on 5, u can start on 6?
Yeah, Start on the 6th and it can be used in B Flat minor, you see?
As long as you move the scales in correlation with the first note of that second scale you'll know what key your in, then it's just a matter of remembering the very easy shapes.
Pattern/shape/position/box does not matter at all. All that matters are the notes used. That is explained in my sig.

Edit: Get rid of that triple-post with the edit button, and NEVER bump threads. Resolve this by the time I check MT tomorrow or you will be reported for spam.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Pattern/shape/position/box does not matter at all. All that matters are the notes used. That is explained in my sig.

Edit: Get rid of that triple-post with the edit button, and NEVER bump threads. Resolve this by the time I check MT tomorrow or you will be reported for spam.

does it really matter?
sorry bangoodcharlote,
fixxed it

and thanks everyone for the help, I understand now
Quote by The_Sophist
You won a talent show by hitting random notes?

Exactly what I was thinking
Center