I've always wanted to try a 12 string guitar, and if I buy one will there be any significantly new techniques involved vs. a 6 string? Just wondering.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
yeah, you gotta hold down more strings and there are seperate tunings for the smaller strings
Quote by break_chronicle
I never imagined 12 stringed-guitar ever exist..

it did?

.......................yes.. yes it DOES
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Might take a bit of getting used to, but its not like its gonna trip you up all the time. Only real issue you might come across at first is picking only the harmonizing string as opposed to both.. shouldn't happen too often though, its nothing you cant handle.
It's no different to playing a 6 string really, you just tend to play mostly chords rather than lead stuff. Picking is individual pairs of strings is a little fiddlier, but also chords simply sound so damn good on them that you won't want to play anything else
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's no different to playing a 6 string really, you just tend to play mostly chords rather than lead stuff. Picking is individual pairs of strings is a little fiddlier, but also chords simply sound so damn good on them that you won't want to play anything else

I'd have to disagree with this. In a situation where you'd have a 6 string guitar and a 12 string guitar playing together, it would be preferable for the 12 string to play lead. Generally in this situation the 6 string would strum, and the 12 string would pick individual pairs of strings.

A 12 string by nature has a "fuller" sound, it definately sticks out just by nature - you are playing at least 2 strings at any one time. Additionally the "small" G (F) string is the highest string (as in has the highest notes), to the point where it is higher than the high E on a six string (by one full tone at standard 12 string pitch).

It's also worth noting that 12 string guitars are generally tuned to D as opposed to a 6 string E, although some 12 strings are made to be played at "concert pitch". The most obvious effect is when you're playing with your 6 stringed buddy, don't try to emulate his chord shapes - you'd be a tone out :P

If you want to see exactly what a 12 string can do check out Leo Kottke; that guy is a master
Quote by steven seagull

This
Sweet. Any specific 12-string oriented brands I should be looking at?
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
IT's not going to be a huge inconvenient but it takes a slight getting used to. If you finger pick the feel in your right hand is different and takes a while playing to get a knack for. Once you do it's perfect though.