All the vintage guitars that have worn down paint and stuff have nitro finishes right?
All the newer guitars are finished with poly.
So say I had 2 guitars, one was finished with nitro, the other with poly, and played 20 years with both, equally, the nitro would look worn down and the poly wouldn't be worn down at all?
could a poly finished guitar get that reliced look by just playing it for a looong time?
yep. it'll wear. how much, depends on how, and how much you play it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by cratskomodo
will it be worn as much as a nitro finish given the same amount of time?

it'll be worn, i doubt as much as nitro.

i was answering... "the poly won't be worn down at all?"
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Poly is far more durable than nitro so it will wear less.
Nitro will also yellow with age sort of like how stickytape does.
Nitro is easier to fix than poly however.

I have no idea about acrylic but I'm not sure if it's suitable for finishing a guitar on its own. I have heard that you can use acrylics for solids and finish with clear nitro over the top of that. Are you trying to paint/finish a guitar?
Quote by Slackboy72

I have no idea about acrylic but I'm not sure if it's suitable for finishing a guitar on its own. I have heard that you can use acrylics for solids and finish with clear nitro over the top of that. Are you trying to paint/finish a guitar?

Yes, are you? I'd suggest asking the GB&C forum.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i could be wrong but, i think he just likes the "relic'd" look and is guitar shopping.

you can speed up wear on any guitar, but some like nitro are delicate and wear faster.

no one can tell you how fast, because it depends on too many conditions.
is it a gigging guitar, where is it kept and handled, how much you sweat, in addition to the way the finish was applied.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
no one can tell you how fast, because it depends on too many conditions.
is it a gigging guitar, where is it kept and handled, how much you sweat, in addition to the way the finish was applied.

This, as well as the pH balance of your sweat.
My Les Paul copy has a poly finish, and it's starting to wear down a bit. But I sweat quite a bit where I play, because it get's too hot.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Slackboy72

Poly also yellows. Pretty common on Model series Charvel. I have an 80s Epiphone as well that had that happen.