I'm having a lot of trouble ID'ing this guitar I just picked up. I think it's an Ibanez 540 but I can't find any pictures of it online so I'll piece together the description:

Body: Ibanez Radius/JS contoured; Heavy, feels a lot like Mahogany

Pickups: IBZ/USA HSH with an aftermarket Dimarzio sc in the middle

Neck: White sharktooth outline inlay; 22 frets; "Prestige" on the headstock; Serial number starts with F so it's made in Japan for sure.

ALSO: on the 21st fret there's an inlay that says "Custom Made".

Neck plays like a friggin dream!

Neckplate: Metal plate that says "USA" on the bottom. It's definitely an Ibby plate.

PICS!

The body and pickups are just like this one, except the bridge is a lo-pro edge (I think the one in this picture is an original edge):

Except the neck inlay looks like this:

So does anyone know what this is?

PS i picked it up for $350. Any thoughts on the price?
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
It's an R540LTD in ruby red from 1991.

Edit: although the 91 is a shot in the dark. It could be a 92.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Last edited by pifty at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by pifty

I thought the 540 was HSS?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I thought the 540 was HSS?

You thought right. 540 is, 540LTD isn't.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty

Nice call man, I just searched and found the guitar no problem!

How's the price sound for this guitar? ($350)
ah ok.

EDIT: either you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of ibanez guitars or you have Ko's guitar collection bookmarked

like I now do

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by bullets34
Nice call man, I just searched and found the guitar no problem!

How's the price sound for this guitar? ($350)

How's the condition? Everything straight, no obvious damage to the finish? If yes and yes, then it's a steal. Otherwise, still a great guitar.
Awesome guitar, and at that price, I probably would have had to have it too. As the other guy said, as long as trem is good (the knife edges aren't too worn), neck is straight, frets have still got life, finish isn't bad and pickups aren't microphonic it looks like a steal.

If it was me, now I would drop an Air Norton in the neck and either a Steve's Special or a Tone Zone in the bridge.

Enjoy that fine looking axe my Ibanez friend!
^ Word. Although I'm yet to see an Edge with a worn enough knife plate to impede the trem usage. It should take enough mileage to circumnavigate the earth a few times to wear it out to that extent.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
EDIT: either you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of ibanez guitars or you have Ko's guitar collection bookmarked

like I now do
It's the former. I've had too many of them, and you pick things up even if you're not addicted to trivial research as I am.

One thing I have to say about Ko, the man must have a garage the size of the Pentagon.
Quote by pifty
How's the condition? Everything straight, no obvious damage to the finish? If yes and yes, then it's a steal. Otherwise, still a great guitar.

Condition is good. Frets are in great shape, there's no rusting or pitting on the bridge or any hardware. In fact, the only problem with it is that the pots are scratchy, but I'm planning on changing out all the electronics anyway so it's no big deal.

In case you can't tell I'm downright giddy about the price I paid for this thing :-)

I'm planning on extensively upgrading this thing:

- Custom finish (nice shiny, glossy mirage color with matching headstock)
- New H pups, probably duncans
- solo switch/coil tap/useful volume+tone controls/phase switch
- Full pro set up. This thing plays great with no setup, so I can't wait to see what a good one will give it.

I figure this runs in the additional $500 range right?
what finish is on it now?

unless it's a really disgusting colour/bad finish/will never sell this even if your family is held to ransom for the exact amount someone is offering you for the guitar and it's the only way to get the money, then I'd keep the original colour.

Quote by element4433
Quote by bullets34
Condition is good. Frets are...

Awesome deal, man, looks like you paid for it about half of what it's worth in parts.

I wouldn't refinish it. If you ever decide to sell it, and hell if I didn't sell half a dozen guitars I thought I'd never sell when I first got them, it won't be worth jack shit refinished.

Save for that, your upgrades should really cost you the price of new duncans, and a couple of DPDT pots for any fancy wiring. You could pull off lots of intricate pickup combos with a four-pole main switch and a push-pull pot to flip between the poles of the main switch.
It's from the Fujigen (Fuji Gen Gakki) factory, made in 1991. Thanks for the links and prompt replies everybody that was a great help!