wats the differnece in tone between the 24.75 and 25.5? what in your oppinion do you like best and why?
The 24.75 should give you a thicker tone since you will probably be using thicker strings. Stretches should be easier, but you might need more precision on the upper frets. I like playing on 25.5" but I think it's really just preference and will not affect very much.
The 24.75 will have lower tension on the strings. If using the same size of strings for both scales. Drop tuning or different gauges will change the tension. I like the 24.75 in standard tuning with .10s. 1 of my 25.5s I use .11s but drop tune to C#. The other 25.5 I use .09s on. The frets are little closer together on the shorter scale guitar.
the 24.75 will be a little bit easier with chording, due to the frets being closer.

25.5 on the other hand makes soloing and like, anything farther up the neck, a bit easier due to them not being as close.

So it's a matter of personal preference and style.

EDIT: And as mentioned, the longer scale will have greater string tension, which can help with using lower tunings, as it will be less prone to fret buzz.
Last edited by Delanoir at Sep 1, 2008,
a bit more info:

24.75 is warmer, strings don't move as much when strumming. alot of 'shred' guitars have this for speed.

25.5 is brighter sounding, strings move alot when strumming, more room in the upper frets.

PRS is 25" my favorite scale length.
what
Quote by IamJonsCranium
a bit more info:

24.75 is warmer, strings don't move as much when strumming. alot of 'shred' guitars have this for speed.

25.5 is brighter sounding, strings move alot when strumming, more room in the upper frets.

What?

Most important thing with a larger scale is better intonation on higher frets
Quote by IamJonsCranium
a bit more info:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

The scale has nothing to do with how warm or bright sounding a guitar is, that depends on what wood the guitar is made out of, the pickups, and the amp. And neither do how much the strings move when playing, as that is determined by the gauge of the strings.

And most shred guitars use 25.5, not 24.75
Last edited by Delanoir at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by Delanoir
And neither do how much the strings move when playing, as that is determined by the gauge of the strings.

If you string two guitars with the same string gauge, there will be more tension on the 25.5 inch scale and it will move around less.
Quote by Tommy Walker
If you string two guitars with the same string gauge, there will be more tension on the 25.5 inch scale and it will move around less.

Well, yes. But in that case you should just use larger gauge strings to balance it out.

Besides, he said the 25.5 would move more, which is wrong anyway.
Quote by IamJonsCranium
a bit more info:

most "shred guitarists" use strat style guitars which are 25.5... havent seen many shredders with les pauls
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Isn't it, the longer the string the easier to bend? That's why bends at the 12th fret are the easiest.
Quote by Tommy Walker
The 24.75 should give you a thicker tone since you will probably be using thicker strings. Stretches should be easier, but you might need more precision on the upper frets. I like playing on 25.5" but I think it's really just preference and will not affect very much.

Same, but I like 24.75 for some applications (downtuning generally isn't one of them).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.