Hi,

I've been having troubles learning guitar at the moment and i'm not sure how to get around it. I can understand tabs (I have, for example learned most of Stairway to heaven... and the solo of Master of Puppets) but I have trouble learning whole songs... from start to finish. Partially because I get bored (don't know why) and partially because tabs make my head hurt. looking at them just drived me mad as all the numbers end up blurring together and I start playing parts in the wrong order and confusing myself... not helped by the fact that pacing can't be shown in tabs.

Does anyone have any tips, or can anyone advise me as to how I can work around this? As I love playing guitar, but these distractions mean I don't learn new things very often as i'm put off.
dude, im about to say something that you've probably heard 1000 times. Practice Practice Practice. ive been playing for almost 2 years now and i remember when i had that same problem. now i can pick up riffs from tabs in minutes. youve got to be dedicated. if you dont really love what your doing you wont get as good as you can be. Get yourself in that "guitarist" mentality and practice. If it helps, go out and buy some new gear to motivate you. it may be something as simple as new cool looking picks or a strap. Anything to get you motivated.

Peace.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

I'm not going to give up, That's one thing for sure. I enjoy it too much
practice, practice, practice is probably the best solution, yes... but i'll try guitar tab/pro and see if that helps me visualise the tabs a bit better as music. Thanks!

I bought some nice d'addario strings (well... 10 packs!) but the tensions gone in the first pack quite a bit, and many of them don't feel tight enough for me at the moment, which doesn't help. They're not old either. Please don't tell me there's such thing as counterfeit d'addarios!

Another problem is a lack of knowing what to learn as nobody makes Post-Rock tabs

any more tips or advice would be appreciated
Last edited by Spolodaface at Sep 1, 2008,
You can only get so far without theory, no matter how rudimentary. I'm not aware of how much you know, but simply learning the major and minor scale and understanding how chords are constructed will open up a lot of new doors, not to mention make things more interesting. You'll probably be more motivated once you understand why you play the notes you do.
As mentioned power tab (free), or guitar pro (about $30) are an absolute must.

Pick a song to learn that you really like, but is just a little above your current playing ability. This is important as picking something too hard will lead to a lot of frustration, and something to easy won't cause you to grow as much.

Then, take it section by section. Focus on each section one at a time. Set goals for yourself, like having the section you are working on tight by the end of the week.

When learning a new part, practice it very slowly at first. Make a point of first playing it with good control before speeding it up. When I am working on something new, the first day I am learning a part I will make a point of playing it at 40 bpm and not going any higher. I just focus on playing it with absolute control. The second day I speed it up, but never faster than I can play it clean. I find that by doing this it really gets embedded in my muscle memory a lot more quickly. Plus there is something really hypnotic and cool about this that I really enjoy.

So, smart realistic goal for what song. Then patience, discipline, lots of practice, and focus on intermediate goals as you work on it.
Get PowerTabs or GuitarPro.

If you're finding concentrating hard, take a break and don't force yourself. It's better to have 5 seperate focused 10 minute practice sessions than a huge, forced 50 minute session. Try and stay focused while you are playing, and get a snack or something afterwards to stay alert. It'll get easier once you're used to looking at tabs for longer, don't worry about that.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by Spolodaface
I'm not going to give up, That's one thing for sure. I enjoy it too much
practice, practice, practice is probably the best solution, yes... but i'll try guitar tab/pro and see if that helps me visualise the tabs a bit better as music. Thanks!

I bought some nice d'addario strings (well... 10 packs!) but the tensions gone in the first pack quite a bit, and many of them don't feel tight enough for me at the moment, which doesn't help. They're not old either. Please don't tell me there's such thing as counterfeit d'addarios!

Another problem is a lack of knowing what to learn as nobody makes Post-Rock tabs

any more tips or advice would be appreciated

String tension doesn't actually degrade over time, they get dirty and duller sounding but the tension required for tuning the string to pitch remains constant.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com