blumnm324
434 IQ
i read in a magazine that SRV said if your a pussy if you use a sting gauge less than 13. what do you all think about this. btw i have an american strat and i want to know what the best kind of strings would be to get for it if i wanted a SRV/ John Mayer sort of sound.
daryle_goh
none
947 IQ
13? i've used 12 before. even after a pro setup, the neck on my old guitar twisted and warped beyond redemption.

I HIGHLY DOUBT SRV WOULD SAY THAT ON A MAGAZINE.

but if he really did say that, i'll tell you he's a dumb ass that wants you to ruin your guitar

if you want to use anything above 11, be prepared to do a lot of setting up and maintainence because the guitar will be under much more stress as compared to using the more common 10 or 9
TheClincher
UG's Pokemon Fanboy
1,856 IQ
I use D'addario .13-.56 on my ESP, and it works for me. But I use .10s on my Ibanez, so I can't be a hypocrite and choose one.
identityxcrysis
897 IQ
If I put anything over a 10 on my guitar, it pulls up on the bridge...which isn't too fun....
SilentGhost
75 IQ
I use 10~52s and 11~50s. Only if I cared for what SRV had to say.
guitaringnathan
Shreddin' the blues
486 IQ
you dont necessarily need huge strings but thicker ones sound cleaner when you have higher gain, you can pick deeper, and they have a great clarity in eflat. but pickups and amp settings play just as much.

i put a set that was top a sets of 10s, and i think the bottoms were like 12s, maybe 13s idk. these are good for blues and stuff cause you have the thicker ones but can still play solos with loads of easy bends. shoot for a set of 12s or a hybrid set and i'll think you'll have a good tone, or 13. if your fingers can handle it.
Havok19
Whooooo!
151 IQ
Doubt that SRV said that
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Tommy Walker
L33T Registered User
315 IQ
SRV used mainly 13's but would often switch string gauge because of the state of his fingers. He also tuned his guitar a half step down. I don't think he said that. He preferred to play with thirteens but his fingers got so destroyed that he sometimes had to go for a lower gauge.
black-sabbath
Sitar Hero
316 IQ
Who uses over 13s???
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
guitar99099
1,433 IQ
Quote by Dimebag Bill
dude, i use 9s. fuck SRV.

THIS.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

manmanster
UG Senior Member
494 IQ
Quote by blumnm324
i read in a magazine that SRV said if your a pussy if you use a sting gauge less than 13. what do you all think about this. btw i have an american strat and i want to know what the best kind of strings would be to get for it if i wanted a SRV/ John Mayer sort of sound.

String gauge is totally based on the guitar and the player, and if SRV thought you're a pussy because you use 13's than he was a complete idiot.

Its the player that makes the sound, not the equipment.

Personally I use 10's, just like thousands of guitar players, including the legends.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
yomoma21
80 IQ
i generally use 9's sometimes 10's, but i highly doubt he said that
Chad11491
829 IQ
Quote by Dimebag Bill
dude, i use 9s. fuck SRV.

+1
V-type
You don't know me
77 IQ
Quote by daryle_goh
13? i've used 12 before. even after a pro setup, the neck on my old guitar twisted and warped beyond redemption.

I HIGHLY DOUBT SRV WOULD SAY THAT ON A MAGAZINE.

but if he really did say that, i'll tell you he's a dumb ass that wants you to ruin your guitar

if you want to use anything above 11, be prepared to do a lot of setting up and maintainence because the guitar will be under much more stress as compared to using the more common 10 or 9

Sounds like a bad setup then. I've got 3 axes with 12's on em and they're perfect.
XBL Gamertag: toasty10
daryle_goh
none
947 IQ
Quote by V-type
Sounds like a bad setup then. I've got 3 axes with 12's on em and they're perfect.

haha. anyway i've got neck-warping phobia now and i dont think i'll ever have the balls to put anything above 10 on my guitar again.
Delanoir
Transience.
1,673 IQ
TS is wrong.

Supposedly he just said that you weren't a man unless you used at east 13's, and even then I'm pretty sure he was only being facetious.
Mecler
The Saboteur
385 IQ
SRV is dead.
Why are you reading such an old magazine and posting about his gospel?
Me2NiK
Likes fruit.
139 IQ
For starters, he wasn't serious when he said that, and it was that you weren't a man if you used less than .013's. Again, not serious.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
MRavioli
Thread Killer
1,137 IQ
I don't see the point of ever going past 10's
imgooley
PLAY IT ****ING LOUD
4,866 IQ
Quote by Me2NiK
For starters, he wasn't serious when he said that, and it was that you weren't a man if you used less than .013's. Again, not serious.

This.

And I personally can't use anything smaller than 11's or my playing goes south. It's all about what's comfortable.
ironman1478
1,910 IQ
Quote by MRavioli

people who use C-standard tuning and other really low tunings have to use 12's, 13's because the strings get too loose
mosh_face
hates his username
85 IQ
i know he played heavy strings, dont believe he was actually serious even if he did say that.

that said ive worked my way up from 9s to 10s to 12s and havnt decided if i will stop there, each time i increase string gauge it sounds better.

and yeah i can tap on 12s and am beginning to be able to bend pretty well on them

your fingers will adapt to whatever new gauge as long as you progress upwards evenly and i believe the tone is worth it
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Me2NiK
Likes fruit.
139 IQ
Quote by MRavioli

Short-scale guitars will generally have action problems with 10's. Also, jazz.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Slackboy72
22 IQ
Quote by Delanoir
TS is wrong.

Supposedly he just said that you weren't a man unless you used at east 13's, and even then I'm pretty sure he was only being facetious.

I remember reading that interview years ago. And yes he was just joking people.

I use 9-46s but I have dabbled with 10s and 11s. I guess it's just down to how strong your fingers are and what feels comfortable.
deluxity
...leading to death
1,722 IQ
SRV said that real man don't use heavy amps... they use heavy gauge strings...

i'm a huge SRV fan, and i seriously don't give a crap about what he says

personally, i haven't seen a huge tone difference in string gauges, i've used from 8's to 11's and it was just for using different tunings, lights sound excellent on higher tunings, while heavy gauges give you a really deep sound in C or B
redwolf206
78 IQ
You should use 6-string bass strings... I hear they work wonders for metal and hard rock. It's pure br00talz.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
The_Albino_Boar
Professional Privateer
177 IQ
Quote by redwolf206
You should use 6-string bass strings... I hear they work wonders for metal and hard rock. It's pure br00talz.

Wouldn't that mutilate your neck????

Ah well. But yes, I do believe that SRV was being jocular in his comment.

Personally I just use 10s, they sound great and feel awesome. It comes down to preference.

... And what tuning you use and the scale of your guitar
Is it weird that I named my guitar Emily???

"Yeah, Strats can often produce a lot of hum. The cure is to turn it up a whole crapload" - Joel
SHAUNYSHAUN1234
535 IQ
holy crap!! if srv said only pussies use a gauge under 13 I really need to get me some 21 gauge strings!!!

Who cares what he says!! Play what you feel comfortable with!!
steel337
303 IQ
which is why he put super glue on his fingers.
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,208 IQ
Nah, he didn't always use .013's, he used .011's on lenny.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ljohn
287 IQ
As far as I can tell, Stevie Ray Vaughan simply ****ing loved music, so if he said anything of the nature, the context has to be considered, and it would have been in jest.
shredmeiser101
bomb-chika-wah-wow
2,706 IQ
go ahead and use .13s if you think it makes you more manly, just don't bitch to me in ten years with your crippling tendonitis.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
helraizer
120 IQ
Haha, if it's true what he said and you're not a man if you use less than 13s then Steve Vai is a very much a woman.. Steve Vai sometimes uses as low as 7's

You can't easily play 13s in standard tuning, they're mostly for drop tunings such as C, B or A. He would said it in Jest anyways.
bjoern_swe
UG's The Hives-fan
90 IQ
I like heavy strings... 13's in standard is stretching it though.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball