Hey, I've been playing guitar for the past five years... seriously playing for the past probably three. I've always wanted to play stuff like Hendrix and Frusciante. I love funk and stuff like Sly. But the past 6 months or so, I've been listening to a lot of different stuff. I'm not going to name a certain genre, because some people get a little up-tight about the differences between the "-core"'s so I've been listening to a lot of local bands in my area (northern Rhode Island) that sound like The Fall of Troy (who I've been listening to a lot lately). I want to start learning that style of guitar, with fast, technical riffs. I'm taking lessons now, but kind of mainly for jazz guitar. I don't really know what to learn, because I don't know any terms. I want to learn to be able to write riffs incorporating fast complicated riffs but not sounding like shred or anything. Kind of hard to explain, but just listen to "Knife Fight at the Mormon Church" by Thirty Years War/the Fall of Troy. That's kind of what I'm aiming for.

Any help is appreciated. I'm just looking to expand my mind in techniques and style.
i find knowing scales and theory in general to be essential in writing technical riff, economy picking for fast runs probably, tapping, learning how to shred is a good idea really as it's just the culmination of all the coolest techniques, you dont actually have to shred once you know how.
Thomas Erak (FoT) actually has a background in Jazz so that might be the way to go
Quote by stephen_rettie
i find knowing scales and theory in general to be essential in writing technical riff, economy picking for fast runs probably, tapping, learning how to shred is a good idea really as it's just the culmination of all the coolest techniques, you dont actually have to shred once you know how.
Thomas Erak (FoT) actually has a background in Jazz so that might be the way to go

okay, but the thing is, is that my fingers aren't that fast, or I don't think they are. I try to play fast riffs, slow at first, then speeding up, but I can't seem to play them too fast. I don't know what it is, but I'll look up some of those things.
The jazz thing will definately help. What you need to learn is alternate picking and hammer ons and pull offs. You can't just learn them though. You have to do them in your sleep. Forget that blues chuck berry solo stuff. Thomas's playing is very mechanical. Maybe work on chicken picking.
I know alternate picking, hammer-ons/pull-offs, and I'm working on economy picking. Is sweeping essential to learn economy picking? Cause I seem to be able to do the economy okay, but I cannot at all sweep... at least not now.

What is this chicken picking you speak of?
A metronome and a copy of John Petrucci's 'Rock Discipline' will go a long way. Even he doesn't play that sort of music, the techniques in the video are very helpful.
I've started the economy picking now, and I'm pretty good with going down towards the floor, but I'm having a little trouble coming back up. (Up-down-up, up-down-up).

Thanks for all your help.