Page 1 of 2
Being one of the genres that I listen to the most frequently any time I check one of the tabs for one of the songs its like playing up and down the fret board at 200+ beats per minuet...Because of this i've come to see how underrated most of the players are in this genre especially people like Alex Webster who can shread up the fretboard faster than anyone. I'm trying to work on my 3 finger technique and all around fretting speed so i assume death metal is a good genre to help with that. But anyways... What are some easy death metal basslines to start with?
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
If you are not afraid to tune your bass to asinine tunings. In Flames has some good but easy (relatively) lines that are fun to play and listen to.
to be honest with you, death metal as a genre is pretty technical, so tryng to jump right into and play actual songs is going to be hard. however, all you have to do is find the tab, then get a metronome out and slow the tempo down to a more reasonable speed, and practice it slow until you get faster at it. thats my best recommendation.
Steve Digorgio plays for my father's band now lol. :P.

Anyway to be on topic, not all death metal has to be over 200BPM. I'm not easily impressed just because something is fast. You really don't have to be fast XD
I have a great one for you. "Black Winter Day" by Amorphis. Melodic death -classic-, with a simple, enjoyably catchy bassline
Last edited by Twiggeh at Sep 2, 2008,
Essentially, look outside tech death and brutal death (which is often technical as well), and the bass lines are often fairly simple. However, a lot are still more complex than your average rock line. However, if you look at melodeath and bands like Opeth, you should have a good start.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Despised Icon's bass lines are ****ing easy as hell, but I do love them.
My Bass Rig (Since Everyone does this)
Fender Jazz 5 String
4x10 Hartke Transporter Series
Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head (Changing to a Hartke 5500)

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/morningnj
Quote by JeremyKing
try Slayer's Angel of Death

Not that hard, but if you don't play with a pick, the speed and galloping rhythms become a problem.

Also, that's thrash, not death metal.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Morbid Angel, Deicide and Obituary all have some easy ones.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by chinito2446
i love music...

http://www.blogfixes.com

stop spamming dude

hwo about slayer ts?

edit: damn no death metal
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Sep 2, 2008,
Opeth wont be too fast and they play amazing bass lines.
The Drapery Falls is easy and fun. Bleak would also be nice and The Leper Affinity is also very recommended.
But thats only of the album Blackwater Park, other albums have other great songs to play!
Hammer Smashed Face is fairly easy. And quite recognisable.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Its death metal.
If its easy its not METAL!!!!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by eazy-c
I would but most people say the tabs are off so i'm unsure at which is the correct way to play it but yeah if you can tell me which one on UG is the most accurate ill give it a shot. Whoever suggested that slayer song thanks! Its easy yet good for practing 3 fingers.
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
Quote by AmpleSteak
I would but most people say the tabs are off so i'm unsure at which is the correct way to play it but yeah if you can tell me which one on UG is the most accurate ill give it a shot. Whoever suggested that slayer song thanks! Its easy yet good for practing 3 fingers.

I haven't seen a complete tab for hammer smashed face ever, they all seem to be missing parts of the song so it would be easier to just read the tabs for a guideline and figure out the rest from there. Either that or I'm hearing stuff that really isn't there.

I have no clue what he plays in the solo though, and the song really picks up speed near the end, which could be tough.

Death shouldn't be too hard either, crystal mountain should be easy with good right hand technique, though Steve can rip out some insane riffs when he feels like it though.
Quote by AmpleSteak
Being one of the genres that I listen to the most frequently any time I check one of the tabs for one of the songs its like playing up and down the fret board at 200+ beats per minuet...Because of this i've come to see how underrated most of the players are in this genre especially people like Alex Webster who can shread up the fretboard faster than anyone. I'm trying to work on my 3 finger technique and all around fretting speed so i assume death metal is a good genre to help with that. But anyways... What are some easy death metal basslines to start with?

ive never seen or heard a metal song with bass much harder then fall out boy >_>
Quote by eazy-c

Hell YEAH good song!

Or learn 'Make them suffer
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
Morbid Angel is slow for the genre so thats a good band to start off with.
Death would be the next place to work with
Then im gonna recommend Hammer Smashed Face because it has the best bass solo in the genre and is fairly easy.
Then I say try some Meshuggah!!!!
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by Sylvanus
I haven't seen a complete tab for hammer smashed face ever, they all seem to be missing parts of the song so it would be easier to just read the tabs for a guideline and figure out the rest from there. Either that or I'm hearing stuff that really isn't there.

I have no clue what he plays in the solo though, and the song really picks up speed near the end, which could be tough.

Death shouldn't be too hard either, crystal mountain should be easy with good right hand technique, though Steve can rip out some insane riffs when he feels like it though.

Quite a fun song to play. Itll help your dexterity quite a bit. I just wish I could get Guitar Pro back so I can get the part down I was working on before we got a new computer...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
most of them...

theyre all basically open notes on dropped e strings and 5 strings.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
Quote by elliott FTW
most of them...

theyre all basically open notes on dropped e strings and 5 strings.

Can you please give us a video and/or an mp3 of you playing Frantic Disembowelment by Cannibal Corpse then please?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
slipknots basslines arent to hard and their the best death metal band anyway, so you might as well learn there stuff and not bother with any others.
Quote by Arbitror
slipknots basslines arent to hard and their the best death metal band anyway, so you might as well learn there stuff and not bother with any others.

I'm not even going to bother laughing at you.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Well thanks everyone for suggesting things i learned F*** with a Knife i doubt the tab is accurate but damn that song is fun to play.

Quote by Arbitror
... Just watch this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7DA0WnqB6w
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
Last edited by AmpleSteak at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by eazy-c
I'm not even going to bother laughing at you.

I agree, you can't laugh at retards

Sanity is not statistical
Quote by silentdob
Quite a fun song to play. Itll help your dexterity quite a bit. I just wish I could get Guitar Pro back so I can get the part down I was working on before we got a new computer...

Download a program called TuxGuitar- tis freeware that opens powertab and guitar pro.
deliriumbassist i cannot forgive you for the Death comment. lol, but anyways most death metal songs are quite hard on the fretting hand and the playing hand. i suggest for some dexterity on the plucking hand, learn Blood by Meshuggah. allthough the fretting hand isnt doing much the rhythm is like a combination of pretty fast rhythms and not just straight 32nds.
Lots of Slayer, they aren't death metal but they have that "vibe"

Some Cannibal Corpse has some easy bass like Staring Through The Eyes Of The Dead, it's uber-fast but it's simple. When the tempo changes there is a really brutal and easy riff.
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
Page 1 of 2