I was wondering if any amps under $1000 total (with mods or having to swap out tubes and or speakers) Can come close to a Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ or even a Mark IV, I had the fortune of trying both of these amps out at a shop in the greater LA area a week ago and would like to get the verastility and tone that the Mark IIC+ and/or IV has, but I honestly don't know what to look for especially since I live in a small town in the desert with no guitar/music stores in it, I can't just go buy an amp, so I'm going to have to take a leap of faith off the words of others. I have played amps in the $500-1000 price range that sound good, but they all had wear and tear on them from idiots playing them such as cracked tubes or blown speakers or damaged circuitry. I just would like to know if there's an amp out there that can meet the demands for what I'm looking for. Thanks for any input.
You can get a Mark IV for $1000, I've seen it many times.

Buuuuut... There's always the Mark III
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ehhh actually $1000 just for a head is too high atm, I'm just a college student. I'd prefer a combo amp, and probably one with like a $800, so incase I need to mod it or something.
Maybe an F-50? It's a combo, though it's usually compared more to a recto I kind of think it has it's own sound going on. I can get a pretty good santana kind of sound with my f-30
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Well if thats a IIC+ then im gonna get that with a cheap 2x12 cab with 30s in it and a gibson explorer I found for $900 so I'll be set, if not then I keep looking.
I called the Guitar Center its located at and its a Mark IIB not a Mark IIC+, so whats the difference between the two?
^^About $1300

The biggest difference between the two is that the Mark IIC+ has more gain and doesn't pop when you switch channels. The IIc+ is much more aggressive and scooped sounding compared to the midrangey IIb.
+1 Mesa F50 should at least get you in the ball park of the tone you are looking for, I seen one last week on Ebay go for 650+shipping near mint condition. I think they sound like a cross between a Mark IV and a REcto.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by SCopeland24
I called the Guitar Center its located at and its a Mark IIB not a Mark IIC+, so whats the difference between the two?

Really? I talked to them about a month ago about that and they told me it was a Mark IIA

Quote by SCopeland24
Ehhh actually $1000 just for a head is too high atm, I'm just a college student. I'd prefer a combo amp, and probably one with like a $800, so incase I need to mod it or something.

All of those amps can be found in combo form. Last Mark IV I saw for $1000 was a combo. And why would you need to mod it? Modding amps that high in price is a waste of time and money imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Osiris77
I have to disagree I have a V3 and I would trade it for a Mark IV any day, the V3's good it's just not a Mark IV.........

I actually like the v3 better than the Mark IV. But yet again it is all personal preference
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Mod it, as in put in new speakers or tubes, or tweak the circuitry. But I really wish that the combo amps came with in a 2x12 format and not a 1x12 format.
Quote by SCopeland24
Mod it, as in put in new speakers or tubes, or tweak the circuitry. But I really wish that the combo amps came with in a 2x12 format and not a 1x12 format.

Mesa boogie makes loads of 2X12 combos. Also another mesa will be your best shot at that MarkIIC+ sound for less but nothing will be perfect. You want a 2X12 combo and you complaining a head plus 2X12 is going to be too hard to move? I hope you realise that these 2 set ups are almost exactly the same just a bit taller etc. Anyways mark III or a Mark IV will work well enough.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by SCopeland24

If you have to mod it, chances are there's a better sounding amp, stock, for the price it costs you to mod it. There's really no point unless it's being modded from say Mark IIA to Mark IIC+ specs.

Quote by Slanderous666
You want a 2X12 combo and you complaining a head plus 2X12 is going to be too hard to move? I hope you realise that these 2 set ups are almost exactly the same just a bit taller etc.

+1, I'd MUCH rather move a head and 2x12 than a 2x12 combo. Any 2x12 combo is going to weigh in the range of 80-100 lbs, on average, and they're big and bulky.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1, I'd MUCH rather move a head and 2x12 than a 2x12 combo. Any 2x12 combo is going to weigh in the range of 80-100 lbs, on average, and they're big and bulky.

+2 Another bad thing about 2x12 combos is that if doesn't have the exact speakers you want then that's two speakers you have to replace, when you could've just gotten a cab with the speakers you want.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not