Alright so i was offered a Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber Head for my Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100. I like versatility, and i love both american voicing and british voicing and believe they both have their place in music. I play anything from classical to neo-classical, from blues to metal, from jazz to funk. I mostly play a lot of progressive type stuff and a lot of lead though. Think buckethead mixed with Gilmour (weird i know). So what do you guys think, should i take him up on his offer? i might also be able to milk some cash off him along with the head.
I thought that i should add this too. My original plan was to sell the amp and use the money i got from it with some of the money i have now and get a used Peavey JSX. I love that amp, its got everything i want in terms of versatility and tone. Problem is its hard to find a used JSX in my area. Also selling the DSL for the amount i want (750) is taking me a while. So i guess the real question is
JSX (wait time and extra cash FROM me) vs.
DSL (already have) vs.
Caliber (this and extra cash FOR me)
get the caliber and cash

put the cash towards your jsx fund

and also try to sell the caliber lol

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

If you know "exactly" what you want, then you should certainly get the JSX. End of Story!
I like the JSX plan myself. Even though I've never played one personally, I hear that they are really versatile with the next step up in tonal freedom coming from something like the Mesa Roadking. Only thing is, I've read reviews where a few people have had reliability issues, but like I said, I've never actually used one.

BTW, you can get JSXs dirt cheap for what they are on Ebay.
Okay I've devised a new plan. I'm going to try and sell my dsl for about 100 cheaper, pretty sure someone will buy it at 600. Then ill buy a new Bugera 333xl, which is supposed to be a jsx clone but with a reverb and cheaper parts. What do you guys think.
You could probably get a Jsx used for the same price as the Bugera new. I haven't tried the 333xl so I can't really comment on it compared to the Jsx.
Quote by PiperDawnsGate
Okay I've devised a new plan. I'm going to try and sell my dsl for about 100 cheaper, pretty sure someone will buy it at 600. Then ill buy a new Bugera 333xl, which is supposed to be a jsx clone but with a reverb and cheaper parts. What do you guys think.

nooo..

Just get a used real jsx!
Quote by injected
nooo..

Just get a used real jsx!

It's extremely rare to find someone selling a used jsx around here. Ebay is not an option, has to be done locally if im going to buy used. Anyone actually try the 333xl? I heard its just as good as the jsx even tho it has cheaper parts.
The 333xl doesn't sound very similar to the JSX, IMO, and I've played both.

The JSX has heaps of treble that I could't really dial out, so most of the time it was a fizzed out mess. The 333xl had less fizz, but it was hard to find the pocket on the lead channel.

I personally like the 333 more than the JSX, but this is coming from a person who likes tonnes of low mid bark and a rounder sound, overall.

What other amps are up on CL in your area?
Quote by imgooley
The 333xl doesn't sound very similar to the JSX, IMO, and I've played both.

The JSX has heaps of treble that I could't really dial out, so most of the time it was a fizzed out mess. The 333xl had less fizz, but it was hard to find the pocket on the lead channel.

I personally like the 333 more than the JSX, but this is coming from a person who likes tonnes of low mid bark and a rounder sound, overall.

What other amps are up on CL in your area?

Well that all can be fixed with an equalizer pedal can't it? I'm really leaning toward getting that 333xl then, for 600 new its hard to beat, and i already got a new set of tungsol tubes to go with it. As for amps in my area, there are a bunch of Valvekings(not interested), theres the 6505/5150 amps(not very versatile imo), xxx amps(kind of 200-300 i might need to save up if i get this), Traynor YCV(think its british voiced?), Mesa Boogie F-50.