Page 1 of 2
Problem solved, picture on page 2.

Old post:
I have a MIM Fender Strat that I play most. I also use an Ibanez AS73 sometimes. I like both a lot, don't plan on changing that part of my rig. What I'm fed up with is my amp.

I have a Crate RFX120. It's too loud. Way too loud. I have never turned it up past 4. And that was when no one was home and it didn't stay on 4 for very long. But what I don't like about the amp is not how loud it is, it's how boring it is. I'm never satisfied with my tone and I can never dial in to a certain sound. Even with a PODXT LIVE.

What I want is a tube amp. Something quiet. Say, under 20 watts. I've looked at the Crate V18 and the rest of the series, but I hate buying something as important as an amp without trying it first. I like the Delta Blues amp, but it's kinda expensive. I have the money for just about any kind of amp, but I really don't want to spend much. I'm trying to move out as soon as I can.

So anyways, tube amps. I see a lot of my favorite guitarists use Fenders, mostly Hot Rod Devilles, but those pack a bit too much power for a bedroom musician. I play indie style I suppose. I like Post Rock and Jazz and some metal (Mostly Opeth). I guess I'm a Gilmour styled player, so keep that in mind. Don't focus much on a two channel amp, I'd prefer to have a single clean channel. I have a good Overdrive/distortion pedal. Onboard effects are not needed or desired. Although Tremolo would be nice.

Mostly I just want something that will excite me again. Help me out.
Last edited by Mecler at Sep 8, 2008,
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Sep 2, 2008,
since you mentioned fender i would say look at the fender blues junior

but you didnt really specify a budget so whats the highest you'll spend and are you willing to go used

i would say a blackheart handsome devil. its 15 watts tube with a 7 watt half power switch so 7 can be for you room and if you decide to jam with a drummer 15 watts will give you enough power

win/win

plus it sounds amazing and has a sick name

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I would like to keep it under 400.

Used is fine. Actually preferred.
Maybe consider something that interfaces with your POD?
http://www.atomicamps.com/products-112-18.html
Use your PODxt as a preamp, dial everything in from there.

btw, tube amps, even at 20-ish watts, are still fairly loud. Even something like a Crate V5 would be loud. Not loud enough to get over a drummer, but loud enough to piss off your neighbors if they're right next to you.

Can you get out to a guitar shop and try something like a Crate V5?
There's a couple guitar shops around, none have any of the Crate V series.
The atomic amp doesn't interest me at all. I have the floor POD actually.
So I'm thinking Vox AC15, Peavey Delta Blues 15 or Fender Blues Jr.
What do you guys think?
Quote by Mecler
What do you guys think?

The AC15 is crap, in terms of value.

Do you just mean the Peavey Delta Blues? The Delta Blues 115 is still a 30 watt amp, it just has a 15" inch speaker. it's still going to be loud as hell, just so you know. 30 watts of tube is quite loud.

The Fender Blues Junior is okay, but I wouldn't buy it brand new.
Quote by Mecler
What do you guys think?

Vox AC15 should not even be considered. I was planning on getting one, tried it at a music store, very disappointed.

Played the Fender Blues Jr. Bought it immediately, haven't looked back since. Has enough power for me to play with my bands and gig, yet still not too loud to play at home.
Used blues Jr goes for $325 ish. Not maybe the greatest for opeth, but can probably pull it off with the right stomp box, fairly close anyway. Perfect for the rest of what you play.
my first suggestion would be epi VJ. i love mine to death. if you wanted to up the stakes a bit, i would suggest the Orange tiny terror. but the AC15 would rock too. or the new Orange AD5 would actually fit you the best, from what you described your sound as and the amps and features that seem to have piqued your interests. it should be hitting shelves soon. so yeah, go check teh Orange AD5.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
I'll be trying out the blues Jr. today. I found someone who is selling his for 300.
All this hate on the AC15 It makes me
Quote by imgooley
All this hate on the AC15 It makes me
It's really not nearly as bad as UG makes out? I don't understand. I mean it's expensive but not bad-sounding.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i dig the AC15. i dont see what the deal is. it is pricy though.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Mecler
I'll be trying out the blues Jr. today. I found someone who is selling his for 300.

That's a good price for one, let us know how it goes.
Quick question how is it a SS amp is to loud? You dont have to crank it to get good tone out of it and it has a Volume knob. Also if an SS amp is to loud why do you want to purchase an amp that generally speaking sounds better the more its cranked......
Get this amp: (small wattage tube) searchbar "Hey! Look over here! I'm the searchbar!"

Tubes sound pretty decent when overdriven with volume so with the loudness factor, hmm, go to a music store and see if if gets to loud for you.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's really not nearly as bad as UG makes out?

Mm...I don't think UG makes it out to be bad at all. I think a lot of people like it, and that's why they ask about it. There's been a slew of questions about it.

I just think it's way expensive for what it offers, and that it doesn't give me the Vox sound I'm looking for. The CC one, anyway.
The handwired one sounds great. Still way expensive, though.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's really not nearly as bad as UG makes out? I don't understand. I mean it's expensive but not bad-sounding.

I honestly think it's great at what it does. A nice, saggy, bluesy sound with a bit more mid bark than an American amp. I mean, the Ampeg J-20 Jet is a great amp too, but it's also more expensive than the AC15. The DRRI is another comparable amp that's more expensive. They all do what they do really well. I personally would love an AC15, especially for recording.
I agree with imgooley, the ac15 is a lovely lovely thing, especially the white handwired one.

Maybe for some people it is an acquired taste; but just because you have not acquired the taste for it yet does not meant that it is useless :p
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by forsaknazrael
Mm...I don't think UG makes it out to be bad at all. I think a lot of people like it, and that's why they ask about it. There's been a slew of questions about it.

I just think it's way expensive for what it offers, and that it doesn't give me the Vox sound I'm looking for. The CC one, anyway.
The handwired one sounds great. Still way expensive, though.
S'just whenever I see anyone wanting an AC15CC, someone shoots it down for whatever reason, and as imgooley says, it's really in a similar league to say, the DRRI in the tonal pallette and it does its job well. I've nothing against people saying no, it's not the right style, but I find it annoying when people say it's just a plain bad amp. It's not.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
It sounds like a Used Delta Blues is right up your alley. You like it's tone, it has tremolo (doesn't it?), and if you buy it used, it's not expensive. The only problem is it's 30 watts, but in my opinion, that's okay. They do have master volumes.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
**** YEAH!
Used Peavey Delta Blues 210. I know I'd rather have the 115, but this is amazing.
I got it for $250 off some hick. I think he was drunk and didn't care. So I got a wonderful deal.

Haha, I just realized the foam in my pedalboard fell down.

Should I sell my old Crate RFX120?
^ Congrats.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Noice.
The color of your strat is nice
And sweet amp! I like 10" speakers too. They have more definition and they have a bit more "snap" than a 12 or 15.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
how 'bout a used Traynor?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Congrats on the Delta Blues, nice strat too. Sell the crate if your not going to play it anymore. The DB does quiet too so you should be fine.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Man, I think I should get my shoulders looked at. I look like ~.

Anyways, No real help in my other thread. The guy I bought it from smoked a lot, so it smells like smoke still. Anyone know of anything to get rid of the cigarette stench?
I've seen threads where this is talked about extensively. Search for it you should find something. I think the result was that it is very difficult because it soaks into the wood. Febreeze it, put a order absorber thingy in there, maybe change out the tolex, and don't electrocute yourself...stuff like that
I tried fabreeze on one side, it seems to work. I'll probably do the rest now.

If you're trying this at home, spray the rag, otherwise you see the spray marks on your amp.
Well, you can probably wipe down the tolex with a lightly soapy/damp cloth. Make sure not to get any liquid near the controls or the circuitry.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thanks Dark and 311, I finished the other sides with some fabreeze and it really worked well. Now it smells slightly flowery! But I'm sure that will go away in the next few days.
I love the damn amp, it's perfect. I've never had a tube amp or a spring reverb tank. They're lots of fun. And the Tremolo? Amazing. I can't stop playing my peavey.
Now all I need is a cheap pedal tuner and a nice delay pedal. I've got my eyes on a used Fender tuner, and I'm thinking about the Boss DD-7.
Anyone suggest a better alternative to the DD-7? Besides the Line 6.
Page 1 of 2