It really depends on what kind of wood is underneath.

If it is a one piece body like that one, and has no defects or anything, then yes you could get that look with an oil finish, or with satin lacquer.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i started sanding down my sg and i wish i hadn't started, it will take you a damn long time, trust me, the finish on these guitars doesn't come off easy, you'll probably need some paint thinner, eventually it will be really good looking, you may not even need and oil finish.
^ If you start with a low grit then it takes no time. Especially with a power sander. There are three tried and true methods of paint removal.

www.projectguitar.com has them under the tutorials section.

And yes, you do need a finish of some kind, or else the wood will stain, and look horrible.

EDIT: Also, that wood might have a translucent brown or amber stain on it. It seems sort of off colour to be mahogany. Maybe it is just the lighting, or that particular piece of wood.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
You could just buy a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany...

yeah but they are stained dark brown.
Quote by Øttər
It really depends on what kind of wood is underneath.

If it is a one piece body like that one, and has no defects or anything, then yes you could get that look with an oil finish, or with satin lacquer.

this is what im getting at and why im posting this thread.
Is it an Epi or Gibson? And what kind of finish does it have right now?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Is it an Epi or Gibson? And what kind of finish does it have right now?

gibson black
It wouldn't look like that,as your guitar has a maple top, the other has a mahogany top, so yours would be lighter. I also wouldn't recommend it, as it'll kill the resale value, so if you ever wanted to sell the guitar, it's be almost worthless.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Try removing the control cavity cover in the back and see if there is any exposed wood in there that you can see. Do the same with the pickups. That may give you an idea as to what is under the current finish.
Quote by cedricsmods
Try removing the control cavity cover in the back and see if there is any exposed wood in there that you can see. Do the same with the pickups. That may give you an idea as to what is under the current finish.

That would be quite pointless, wouldnt it? The LP Studio has a mahogany body and a maple top, so looking inside the control cavity will only reveal the mahogany grain. I'd say, go for it. It's a Studio, so even if it'll kill the resale value, you will not lose much.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Quote by edwardthegreat5
It wouldn't look like that,as your guitar has a maple top, the other has a mahogany top, so yours would be lighter. I also wouldn't recommend it, as it'll kill the resale value, so if you ever wanted to sell the guitar, it's be almost worthless.

Yeah, I mean who the hell would pay more than a few bucks for shaped and routed slab of mahogany with working electronics, a fretted neck, and professional setup. Idjit.

The paint really isn't that important, and if he chooses to he can repaint it later, with factory results if he's careful.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Cabron1
would i get something as good looking at this?!? (ie would the wood be okay or bad?)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=270271131453&Category=33040&_trksid=p3907.m29

It's unlikely, after all you don't waste nice looking wood by covering it in paint.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com