Okay, I'm looking for a good metal amp, so it has to have lots of and high-quality distortion, but I also want at least a decent clean tone.

Budget is ~$200, I guess I could go up to $250 but I'd rather not.

I'm looking at 30 watts, although if there's a good one that's 40-ish (if they make those) or 50 I'll definitely check them out. I don't gig, but I want it to be loud enough to gig with if I do (in other words, not a quiet 30 watts).

It MUST have a headphone output option (whether it's a stereo or mini jack, idc, but it has to have one of them), because I often play at night when my parents/brother are asleep.

Regarding tube vs solid, I really don't care, as long as it sounds good. I'm trying to be cheap and cut corners here, so I guess I probably won't have a good tube amp within my budget.

I want at least reverb built in, and maybe some more effects. I don't have any effect pedals, but I'd consider buying a Line6 Uber Metal Distortion Pedal if the amp doesn't have that great distortion but is cheaper (meaning, I don't want to exceed that $250 cap).

Oh, I want an extra input (for plugging my ipod in to play along, but it's not absolutely necessary.

One of the amps I've been looking at is the Peavey Vypyr 30W, it's a modeling amp but it looks interesting:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-482909-i1413606.gc
You can get plenty of different tones out of it, and it's loud. And it has a mini input. I don't know too much about modeling amps, is there some tragic flaw that makes it destined to fail?

And I'm NOT getting a Marshall MG 30. Yes, the distortion is very good, but I've tried one of those, and the clean is complete ****.
Do you know any more powerful amps I could get within that price range? But I'm not in a band or anything and I very rarely play live, so I figured a 30watt that could blast would be enough until I start really gigging, in which case I'll probably upgrade then. But right now I'm on a Fender 15G frontman, which really isn't much, and I want an amp with more power and a better tone.
Used vox ad50vt? Or a new ad30vt. Either are powerful enough to match a drummer in a garage easily. Not to mention my ad30vt totally overpowers my friend's line 6 spider 3 75w when it's turned up higher than my amp.

EDIT: If you want to play metal, they make an XL version of the VT lines for higher gain. They're also like, $20 or $30 cheaper.
Last edited by HighPotency at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by tigerking615

And I'm NOT getting a Marshall MG 30. Yes, the distortion is very good, but I've tried one of those, and the clean is complete ****.

*facepalm

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by tigerking615
And I'm NOT getting a Marshall MG 30. Yes, the distortion is very CRUSHING, but I've tried one of those, and the clean is complete ****.

Fixed. Also, i might add that any valvetronix 30 watts and higher has an attenuator to use more or less power.
Quote by forsaknazrael
30 watts of solid state isn't going to be enough to gig with/get over drums.

Save up some more.

BTW, most "real" amps don't have a headphone jack.

Wrong.

I've gigged with a Cube 30 with no problem.

I've also played above a very loud drummer with it, so 30w of SS can be quite enough (Miccing it up is a good idea tho.)
^That comes too close to SS clipping, for me. It's not going to sound that good, if you crank it, like I'd need to. I'd need more headroom.
Plus, my drummer is beastly loud. And a lot of drummers are - they just beat the **** out of their set. So I stand by my earlier statement of 60 watts.

Mic-ed up, wattage doesn't really matter. But I'm not talking about that.
Used cube 60 would be ideal actually. If you can find one used, can you use craigslist where you are?
No, the distortion on the MG sucks too. Cube 60 is the only choice for you if you go used. But please save a little more, it will be worth it.
Okay, new update. Say I decide to go with a $200 amp with a great clean sound, and put a Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion pedal ($80) on it? Will it make the amp overall louder, and which amp should I get?

The fact that I don't need mucho distortion on the amp opens up a lot of possibilities.
Quote by forsaknazrael
30 watts of solid state isn't going to be enough to gig with/get over drums.

This is silly. PA's exist. Effeccient speakers exist. Ego-tempering exists. There are several ways around guitar volume problems.
^Of course it would work with a PA. That's why I put "get over drums". It wouldn't cut it during practice. As for efficient speakers, I don't know about that...I don't think it's going to make 'em that much louder, nor are any cheap 200 dollar solid state combos going to have any. Even if it was loud enough, which from my experience, it isn't, with a hard hitting drummer, you'd be cranking it all the way up, and it would sound ****ty and harsh.

And while sometimes, yeah, you can ask your drummer to play softer...TBH, i wouldn't wouldn't want mine to! he sounds awesome the way he plays!

Quote by tigerking615
Okay, new update. Say I decide to go with a $200 amp with a great clean sound, and put a Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion pedal ($80) on it? Will it make the amp overall louder, and which amp should I get?

The fact that I don't need mucho distortion on the amp opens up a lot of possibilities.

It's not going to make it louder.
The Roland Cube 60 is definitely the best choice. It's loud, filled with effects and very versatile.
Quote by tigerking615

Just get a roland cube 60.. jeez.

Solid state modeling amps can do anything mostly no problem. You don't have to sacrifice built in distortion for good cleans or vice versa.. that's mostly a problem with valve amps. The cube 60 can do anything good just go for that. You won't need the distortion pedal
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Of course it would work with a PA. That's why I put "get over drums". It wouldn't cut it during practice. As for efficient speakers, I don't know about that...I don't think it's going to make 'em that much louder, nor are any cheap 200 dollar solid state combos going to have any. Even if it was loud enough, which from my experience, it isn't, with a hard hitting drummer, you'd be cranking it all the way up, and it would sound ****ty and harsh.

And while sometimes, yeah, you can ask your drummer to play softer...TBH, i wouldn't wouldn't want mine to! he sounds awesome the way he plays!

It's not going to make it louder.

Well, in my experience, it is. I used to play bass in a cover band. The lead guitarist had a Vox AD15VT, stock. He cut through just fine, strangely enough. How strange. Moderatly hard hitting drummer, other guitarist on a Crate V32, me with a 100 watt SS SWR combo. 150 watt PA for the vocals. No one ever had a problem hearing him, and the amp around 8 or 9 didn't sound better or worse than the amp around 2 or 3.

I guess our realities are different.

I'm now the only guitarist in a different cover band, and I cut with my 20 watt 1x12" tube combo on about 4. Brutal drummer, 150 watt bass rig, 300 watt PA.

I guess my point is that there really is no given number of tube OR SS watts that suddenly equals you being heard in a band situation (live OR rehersal). Try it yourself before you listen to 100 other people on the internet in different situations.
Mmm...I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree.
My old singer had a 100W Fender guitar SS amp needed to be turned up to about 8 or 9 before it cut through.

At the same time, I know how loud a Cube 60 is, and I know how a Cube 30 sounds when turned up too much. That's why I recommend just saving up. The headroom is nice to have.
^honestly though, if hes not giging all that often he should do okay with the cube 30, Idealy is I agree, 30 watts soild state is just enough to get over most drumers while staying clean. But if playing at home most of the time, I think he could get buy with the 30, as long as he stered clear from his drummer and used a mic, he probably be okay. It might not be the best way, but really if he would save up he could get somthing that would for sure suit him.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6