Hey. I recently got a new ipod and the earbuds are really starting to sound terrible and irritate and hurt my ears, so I've decided to get some headphones that go over the top of the head if you know what I mean. Like this:

I'm thinking to spend around 100 USD, but I could spend more or less if I really liked something or whatever. I'm looking for something that looks good, is comfortable, won't break and offers good sound quality. Thank you for any advice/recommendations.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Sennheiser no matter what.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by RunRiot

Real? I see these in non-electronic shops like skate and surf shops everywhere where I live. A lot of teenagers in my town have them as well, I think they're some new trend or whatever but they've always looked pretty childish to me. Hmmm.. maybe if I got a serious cooler like black or something and not a stupid one like pink they could be pretty good. Are they comfortable?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
bose noice cancelling althought some models will be over 100 =\
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Are they comfortable?

That was the main reason I bought them. They are incredibly comfortable, although they can be a little tight if you have a large head. The sound sound quality is pretty good but if your an audiophile you might want get something else. Just try a pair out before you buy them.
Quote by RunRiot
That was the main reason I bought them. They are incredibly comfortable, although they can be a little tight if you have a large head. The sound sound quality is pretty good but if your an audiophile you might want get something else. Just try a pair out before you buy them.

Yeah, I think I will try out some, they look pretty good for the price. Hmmmm... white or black
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by RunRiot

Nah... a lot of the sound escapes since they don't cover your complete ears. My sennheiser hd212 sound way better than my friend's skull candy ones. Even he was ashamed of letting me hear his headphones.

Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Yeah, I think I will try out some, they look pretty good for the price. Hmmmm... white or black

Trust me, i've tried Skull Candy and Sennheiser side by side and they do not even compare. Sennheiser are DJ headphones whereas Skull Candies are just regular trendy headphones.

Quote by evening_crow
Trust me, i've tried Skull Candy and Sennheiser side by side and they do not even compare. Sennheiser are DJ headphones whereas Skull Candies are just regular trendy headphones.

No one is gonna argue with you on that one. That's why I said the comfort was the most important part for me. The audio quality is only somewhat above average for the Skullcandys. As nice as the sound quality is with the Sennheiser they are a little too goofy looking for me.
Seriously, if you don't care about looks, and an open can design then I HIGHLY recommend the Grado SR60.

There's a reason why most audiophiles choose these cans if they had to buy a pair under 100 bucks.

However, Senneheisers are also good alternatives. The HD 485s are a good pair of cans that don't look nearly as ugly as the Grados, but they are really reaching your budget.

If you don't mind in-ear monitors, you can get a good set of lower end ultimate.ears or etymotic phones for a pretty decent price. They are a lot more volume sensitive, have pretty good even sound and fit pretty comfortably (for me)

I wouldn't recommend dumping that much money on skull candy phones. I've had an in-depth listen with the titanium sets and the lower end ear buds. I didn't like either of them that much on a sound stand point. They were way too bottom heavy, I felt like they were about to take a crap in my ears.

But for what it's worth, I'd buy a set of the Skull Candy earbuds if I needed a cheap pair to carry around with me. But I would never imagine of spending more then 20 bucks on them personally.
Quote by kaplac
Seriously, if you don't care about looks, and an open can design then I HIGHLY recommend the Grado SR60.

Wow, I was expecting them to be really ugly, but I just googled and they don't look too bad. The only thing that annoys me is the foam on the earpieces, but oh well. Yeah, maybe I'll take a look at some of them.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
ive also been extensively researching a new pair of headphones, and have decided on the sennheiser hd280s. i should be ordering them sometime this week (or buying from a shop) and i must admit that im rather pleased to see some positive feedback on them ini the first couple posts of this thread.

they are good because
-only 64 ohms resistance (any more than that and it will drain the battery life of a handheld player, like an ipod)
-fully circumaural, they compleyely envelop your ears
-good mhz range, i believe its something like 8000-24000 mhz, maybe a little less
-coiled cord (long cords are annoying)
-foldable
-no annoying volume control on cord
-plus it comes with a fullsize 1/4" jack adapter (for an amp or something)

they run about $90 on amazon, which is where im going to get mine if i cant find them for around that locally

clicky for larger pictures

Last edited by PDXpadfoot at Sep 2, 2008,
Quote by PDXpadfoot
ive also been extensively researching a new pair of headphones, and have decided on the sennheiser hd280s. i should be ordering them sometime this week (or buying from a shop) and i must admit that im rather pleased to see some positive feedback on them ini the first couple posts of this thread.

they are good because
-only 64 ohms resistance (any more than that and it will drain the battery life of a handheld player, like an ipod)
-fully circumaural, they compleyely envelop your ears
-good mhz range, i believe its something like 8000-24000 mhz, maybe a little less
-coiled cord (long cords are annoying)
-foldable
-no annoying volume control on cord
-plus it comes with a fullsize 1/4" jack adapter (for an amp or something)

they run about $90 on amazon, which is where im going to get mine if i cant find them for around that locally

clicky for larger pictures

Yeah, I guess I'll get some too. I just don't really like the look, I don't know why.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Don't ever buy Skullcandy headphones. They suck ass.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
For everyone saying don't buy Skull Candy headphones, I think you should save your judgment until you've tried a couple of different models. I don't know about the Titanium issue headphones, or any of the earphones they manufacture, but I have a set of the Hesh model and they kick ass.

But, I'm no audiophile, and I don't want to wear a pair of those ugly mother f*ckers. Not many people around here have them, they have above average sound quality, and look decent, so there ya go.
A U S S I E
Quote by Jcore44
For everyone saying don't buy Skull Candy headphones, I think you should save your judgment until you've tried a couple of different models. I don't know about the Titanium issue headphones, or any of the earphones they manufacture, but I have a set of the Hesh model and they kick ass.

But, I'm no audiophile, and I don't want to wear a pair of those ugly mother f*ckers. Not many people around here have them, they have above average sound quality, and look decent, so there ya go.

That's why you can't tell the difference.

And like i said, i've tried skull candies and they're nothing great. Sure, they look nice, but they sound decent and nothing more and that's really important with all these new mp3 players that have such low audio quality. I've tried Ipods, Zunes, Creative, and Sansas and they all had poor sound (awkwardly the sansas sounded the best even though they're the cheapest ones out of all those). My old sony cd and cd/mp3 player paired with some $10 phillips ear buds sound better than my friend's 30gb zune with his skull candy headphones. With my Sennheisers the zune sounded ok though... that's why i would go with them.

hahaha... sorry about my rant, i'm just frustrated because i haven't found a good mp3 player to buy in the last 3 years.

Quote by evening_crow

And like i said, i've tried skull candies and they're nothing great. Sure, they look nice, but they sound decent and nothing more and that's really important with all these new mp3 players that have such low audio quality. I've tried Ipods, Zunes, Creative, and Sansas and they all had poor sound (awkwardly the sansas sounded the best even though they're the cheapest ones out of all those). My old sony cd and cd/mp3 player paired with some $10 phillips ear buds sound better than my friend's 30gb zune with his skull candy headphones. With my Sennheisers the zune sounded ok though... that's why i would go with them.

hahaha... sorry about my rant, i'm just frustrated because i haven't found a good mp3 player to buy in the last 3 years.

...And why can't audiophiles just enjoy the music instead of criticizing the quality of it all? Or do you all have a super sensitive sense of hearing? I hope you never go to live shows, because you'd probably die.

Sorry man, just had a fight with my parents. I'm in a bad mood.
A U S S I E
Quote by evening_crow

No worries, the more feedback the better .

I'm still torn between the Grado SR60 and the Sennheiser HD280 then. Does anyone know which is cheaper or a better alternative?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Either one is great.

Typically Sennheiser has a slighly smoother driver making it great for easy listening, jazz, and classical music, but it will easily handle a heavy rock beat, I've never tried listening to metal with tehm so I can't say how well they fare with some nile or stuff like that. Sennheisers are also usually pretty comfy but they are freaking huge ass mofos. Really there is nothing entirely wrong with them, they have an above average sound, good comfort level, overall it's just above average for me.

Grados driver in the sr60 is a bit more punchy and tight, it's a great set of headphones for almost anything in the 'rock genre'. They handle metal pretty well and like the alternative, Grados will sound very good on softer music as well like classical, jazz and blues. On a comfort level, I found they very comfy they don't look comfy but after they mold to your head they get rather cozy. If you look around you should be able to find those foam rings that can replace the stock pads on the grados, this pretty much fixes all comfort issues with these headphones. The other problem with Grado is that they are open designed headphones, there is no noise attenuation at all, so pretty much if you listen to a sex video on your ipod in a library, airplane, car what have you, EVERYONE within 5-10 feet will probably hear you...

This is also a problem on the Seneheiser as well, but not as much so as the Grados.

Really, either one you choose you will have a good set of headphones.
The choice you have to make is, looks or sound.

Btw Evening Crow, are you listening to MP3s? If so what bitrate and sample rate are they running at?
I found my ipod to be a fine music player, I think the problem is the quality of music you are listening to. Typically I try to get the songs in a .flac file or completely uncompressed if I can. flac is a lossless audio compression with a ratio of 2:1 so pretty much all of the sound quality is preserved. Whereas mp3s have a ratio of roughly 10:1 and during compression the converter will actually erase the slight noises in the track to conserve space.

I know it's a bit nit picky, but I like to listen to music in it's entirety, unfiltered and in it's close to original form.
The searchbar's got some badass ones.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Quote by kaplac
...Btw Evening Crow, are you listening to MP3s? If so what bitrate and sample rate are they running at?
I found my ipod to be a fine music player, I think the problem is the quality of music you are listening to. Typically I try to get the songs in a .flac file or completely uncompressed if I can. flac is a lossless audio compression with a ratio of 2:1 so pretty much all of the sound quality is preserved. Whereas mp3s have a ratio of roughly 10:1 and during compression the converter will actually erase the slight noises in the track to conserve space.

I know it's a bit nit picky, but I like to listen to music in it's entirety, unfiltered and in it's close to original form.

I listen to mp3 formatted cds at 124bits if i'm not mistaken. I do this cuz i really think that my sony cd player w/ custom band equalizer sounds better than a new ipod or zune with factory presets; plus i can also listen to cds right when i buy them. Some of the songs i've heard on those are up to 320bits and i still find them flat and thin. Also the bass won't be pronounced and punchy, and if raised it'll distort pretty fast.

Quote by kaplac
Either one is great.

Typically Sennheiser has a slighly smoother driver making it great for easy listening, jazz, and classical music, but it will easily handle a heavy rock beat, I've never tried listening to metal with tehm so I can't say how well they fare with some nile or stuff like that. Sennheisers are also usually pretty comfy but they are freaking huge ass mofos. Really there is nothing entirely wrong with them, they have an above average sound, good comfort level, overall it's just above average for me.

Grados driver in the sr60 is a bit more punchy and tight, it's a great set of headphones for almost anything in the 'rock genre'. They handle metal pretty well and like the alternative, Grados will sound very good on softer music as well like classical, jazz and blues. On a comfort level, I found they very comfy they don't look comfy but after they mold to your head they get rather cozy. If you look around you should be able to find those foam rings that can replace the stock pads on the grados, this pretty much fixes all comfort issues with these headphones. The other problem with Grado is that they are open designed headphones, there is no noise attenuation at all, so pretty much if you listen to a sex video on your ipod in a library, airplane, car what have you, EVERYONE within 5-10 feet will probably hear you...

This is also a problem on the Seneheiser as well, but not as much so as the Grados.

Really, either one you choose you will have a good set of headphones.
The choice you have to make is, looks or sound.

Btw Evening Crow, are you listening to MP3s? If so what bitrate and sample rate are they running at?

Wow, thanks for the long post dude, it's great

Hmmm, with what you said in mind, I think I'm going to go for the Grado's. I just hope I can replace those foam ear pads easily because I hate the way they look, but other than that the Grado's look great.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
I only came in here because I knew I'd hear some bitch whining about Skullcandies.

I have some Hesh's, and for one, they look good. I'd rather have a pair that were aesthetically pleasing.
Two, I don't know about the other models, but Hesh's have brilliant sound quality. It isn't the best you could possibly get for that price, but it's certainly a step up from ear-phones.

I'm not trying to get you to buy some Skullcandies, because they aren't to everyone's taste, just remember you're paying for the looks, and the sound quality isn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Hesh's do have extraordinarily loud bass too (not a problem for me, I love it).
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by kaplac
Grado, hands down

Grados sound great, I have the SR80s however they are not something I use when I have to keep them on for any more than 30 minutes....not enough padding on them.

BTW Bose add too much bass to the sound, I prefer to hear what was recorded at the studio, that "true" sound.
Quote by moody07747
Grados sound great, I have the SR80s however they are not something I use when I have to keep them on for any more than 30 minutes....not enough padding on them..

OOh, really? That majorly puts me off the Grado's then. Are you a picky person or are they really uncomfortable?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by moody07747
Grados sound great, I have the SR80s however they are not something I use when I have to keep them on for any more than 30 minutes....not enough padding on them.

BTW Bose add too much bass to the sound, I prefer to hear what was recorded at the studio, that "true" sound.

Like I said earlier, the grados are uncomfy for some people, I never really had a problem with them, but grado does sell replacement pads that help a lot in the comfort factor, the bowl style pads are probably the most comfortable, stock. I've also heard of people glueing two foam pads together to help increase the amount of padding between the drivers and the ears.

Quote by evening_crow
I listen to mp3 formatted cds at 124bits if i'm not mistaken. I do this cuz i really think that my sony cd player w/ custom band equalizer sounds better than a new ipod or zune with factory presets; plus i can also listen to cds right when i buy them. Some of the songs i've heard on those are up to 320bits and i still find them flat and thin. Also the bass won't be pronounced and punchy, and if raised it'll distort pretty fast.

I wouldn't doubt your cd player sounds better then an mp3 player, but I find it interesting that it soundsthat much better. Have you tried using a custom EQ on the mp3 players?

What headphones/amp are you running these with?
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 4, 2008,
Siberia Icemats. They surround your entire ear. Comes with a million connectors and sounds terrific.

I have had my pair broken several times and replaced for free. Awesome company.

Get them in black or white.

http://www.geek.com/xyzimages/stories/reviewimages/icematsiberia/isib_10.jpg
Quote by Jonn0
I only came in here because I knew I'd hear some bitch whining about Skullcandies.

I have some Hesh's, and for one, they look good. I'd rather have a pair that were aesthetically pleasing.
Two, I don't know about the other models, but Hesh's have brilliant sound quality. It isn't the best you could possibly get for that price, but it's certainly a step up from ear-phones.

I'm not trying to get you to buy some Skullcandies, because they aren't to everyone's taste, just remember you're paying for the looks , and the sound quality isn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Hesh's do have extraordinarily loud bass too (not a problem for me, I love it).

you would be a skullcandy fan
Quote by dogismycopilot
Siberia Icemats. They surround your entire ear. Comes with a million connectors and sounds terrific.

I have had my pair broken several times and replaced for free. Awesome company.

Get them in black or white.

http://www.geek.com/xyzimages/stories/reviewimages/icematsiberia/isib_10.jpg

they're just gaming headsets man, way better alternatives out there for music especially.

i wouldnt get sennhieser because i think they're overrated because its what CD shops tend to stock.

try and track down a place to get some Audio Technicas or Beyer Dynamic headphones, they'll give you an eargasm. (may be a problem with the budget but check it out, i dont know how much they'd run you in america)
Quote by kaplac
I wouldn't doubt your cd player sounds better then an mp3 player, but I find it interesting that it soundsthat much better. Have you tried using a custom EQ on the mp3 players?

What headphones/amp are you running these with?

Only the Sansa had one out of the ones that i tried, that's why i think it was the best-sounding one out them.

I think everyone knocking the Skullcandies are just doing it because they don't want to be part of the trend. I didn't get mine because they looked good, but more because they didn't look stupid.

Headphones will always give better sound quality than earphones though, and Skullcandies will give above average than any other headphones of the same price.
A U S S I E
Quote by evening_crow
Only the Sansa had one out of the ones that i tried, that's why i think it was the best-sounding one out them.

really? I thought that they had a customizable EQ program. I know the 5.5gen video ipods had them. But my 6th gen ipod only has presets...

I really can't say very much about your situation. But I guess whatever you find works best, yeah?

Jscore44: It's not a matter of bashing for the sake of bashing. We aren't suggesting the skull candy brand, because he/she has so many better options. Sure, I the skullcandy IEMs are a fine headphone for it's price, but the TS is looking at $100, not 20.
However I would never think of spending more on their headphones, simply because there are better alternatives that have a much better sound.
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
OOh, really? That majorly puts me off the Grado's then. Are you a picky person or are they really uncomfortable?

I'm not too picky when it comes to the hardware, It's sound I'm more picky about however they really are uncomfortable.
I use the HD280s more than the Grados for this reason alone.
Quote by moody07747
I'm not too picky when it comes to the hardware, It's sound I'm more picky about however they really are uncomfortable.
I use the HD280s more than the Grados for this reason alone.

If only the HD280s weren't so goddam ugly
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.