I'm not trying to troll, and I've never seen a thread like this and I hope this does not degenerate into a flame war, but here goes:

I've noticed that a lot of people here complain about their bands' guitarist(s) not having any respect for their musicianship, their contribution to the band and for bass in general. I'm just wondering, how widespread this is or if "a lot of people" is really just my perception, but how does your band perceive you and bassists in general?

Both the guitarists in my band respect my playing a lot. It could help that the feeling is mutual (I really love guitar, even though I don't play it), and that I'm good at writing riffs (it's a metal band), but I think it might be that one of our guitarists is really into bass. He was especially obsessed with my hohner headless before we were in a band together (we took lessons at the same place and he'd ask to play it every time we saw each other).
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Im not in a band at the moment, but i always cop s*** from my guitarist friends.
Examples are:
"Call me again when you have a real instrument"
"Bassists should be seen, not heard"
"Sorry what was that? i couldent hear you over the drum kit" (even when there are no drums)

I find that most guitarists have a superiority complex, but again a lot of them cant keep time without a bassist. I was jaming with friends and one of them took a shot at my bass, so i stoped playing and they both symultaniousely stuffed up.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
Both my guitarists have great respect for my bass playing in the band, to bass in general. They know they importance it has in music. Why would you be playing with some people who don't have respect for what you do? That doesn't seem like a band I would want to play in.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
I feel that way sometimes, but they are good personal friends and i know they are only realy joking. Besides, they need me.
Quote by mwhan2209
Jesus Paul Jones and John Bonham.

What? I don't see a mistake in that sentence.
Quote by Wooly15
Im not in a band at the moment, but i always cop s*** from my guitarist friends.
Examples are:
"Call me again when you have a real instrument"
"Bassists should be seen, not heard"
"Sorry what was that? i couldent hear you over the drum kit" (even when there are no drums)

I find that most guitarists have a superiority complex, but again a lot of them cant keep time without a bassist. I was jaming with friends and one of them took a shot at my bass, so i stoped playing and they both symultaniousely stuffed up.

I have one guitarist friend who gives me s*** about playing bass, but it's sort of half joking, and not nearly as bad the examples you gave. Plus, he's really bad at guitar so it never gets to me. Still, most of the guitarists I know, especially the serious ones who I'd actually bother to play with, have at least a reasonable amount of respect for bass.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
As a guitarist who plays bass, I think bassists are really overlooked.

I love bass, personally, though I still prefer guitar.
Maybe because of artists like Shavo Odadjian, and for that matter, most metal band bassists just following the guitar with their bass that bassists have the rap for being 'untalented'.

I play bass for my own recordings and have for other bands in the past.

Thanks, guys, for being the forgotten genii of contemporary string instruments.
the last band i played with was a jazz band, and i was playing guitar actually (I only play bass in my room, i'm just a guitar player naturaly), but bass players seem to held in very high regard, and rightly so, as they seem to carry a very heavy roll in the scheme of things.
I'm not in a band, but REAL musicians and real guitarists respect bass players. I have friends who are in little metal hardcore bands they always blame everything on the bass player. They are good guitar players but they need to grow up and stop following hate the bass player trends.
Quote by Miss G
REAL musicians and real guitarists respect bass players

I agree. It's down to how musically mature the guitarist is. Not necessarily how great their skill is. Just that they need to recognise how each instrument is good in its own way, and electric guitar is not always ULTIMATE AWESOME compared to anything else.
Honestly, most people I know think that bass kicks ass. Then again, I'm sure some of them couldn't tell a bass from a guitar if they tried. As far as my band goes, they pretty much respect the fact that the bass plays an important role, and I respect all of their roles and whatnot.

Summary: bla bla bla respect bla bla bla bla
I'm quite happy with my band and it's guitarists the trick is to EQ yourself so there's no way in hell you can't be heard
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
I'm quite happy with my band and it's guitarists the trick is to EQ yourself so there's no way in hell you can't be heard

Steel strings also give your bass a lot of extra upper frequency presence. Highly recommended.
Quote by Miss G
REAL musicians and real guitarists respect bass players.

I'd expand on this and say that REAL musicians respect other musicians. It works all ways, the whole 'My x is better than your y' mentality (that I've encountered from all types of musician, including bassists) is a sign of insecurity and immaturity, IMO
I always get stick for playing bass, but then I give other musicians stick for their choice of instrument. It's just a big joke between all of my musical friends, we actually all have a lot of respect for each other though and no-one looks down on anyone else, it's all a big happy musical family.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Pretty much my entire band (drummer & lead guitarist) respect me and my bass and bass as a whole but the rhythm guitarist/vocals thinks bass is crap and often attempts to turn out my amp. But I just get pissy and moan at him so s'all good :P
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
Pretty much my entire band (drummer & lead guitarist) respect me and my bass and bass as a whole but the rhythm guitarist/vocals thinks bass is crap and often attempts to turn out my amp. But I just get pissy and moan at him so s'all good :P

hit him and kick him out of the band (the rythm guitarist)
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Rywad
...the rhythm guitarist/vocals thinks bass is crap and often attempts to turn out my amp.

HOUDUKEN!
I'm not disresepected but I am often not appreciated enough. Ironically they used to trash my guitar playing, but since I showed them how bad a drummer I am they respect my guitar playing.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
other then the fact that my guitarists bitch every time i turn up my 90 watt behringer(soon gettin a bassman) over half and every time i comes up with a good bassline they tells me to play "simpler" basslines i have no problems with my guitarists
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
My friends joke around with bass and stuff, but they have much respect for it. Especially when the walls start shaking and their butts turn inside-out.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Josh Shiells
Thanks, guys, for being the forgotten genii of contemporary string instruments.

No problem

I haven't had much problems with discrimination, just the odd 'Turn it down, we can hear you' kinda crap. But most of my friends that I play with have much respect for bass and my playing.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
real recognize real yo'

I've never had anybody put me down for being a bass player but I witness it all the time. A lot of people I hang out with are in death metal hardcore type bands and they constantly put down bass players but they always turn to reassure me "oh no not you, your good" but they are 15-18 still in high school and haven't matured yet lol. When your close minded about the music you listen to of course your going to be close minded about instruments.
Put it this way, the bass isn't following the guitar, the guitar is following the bass.

But anyway, no problems here. Both my friends actually care about bass.

Once, I wasn't able to jam, but later my friend told me it would have been better if I was there.

It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Quote by Neo Evil11
hit him and kick him out of the band (the rythm guitarist)

I would but hes bigger than me and well... I don't really wana fight the guy who sings & plays guitar alright. Mostly for everyone else's sakes as its a pain finding another vocalist & rhythm guitarist but meh who knows about the future.

The drummer loves bass tho, I remember when I cranked my amp fully and we managed to move the square of carpet his kit was on like 10cm across the floor, I nearly blew the speakers but it was amazing never-the-less.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
The last time my guitarist told me to turn down my amp i just cranked it to the max, and drowned him in the mix. It was nice to hear everyone complementing the bass instead of him, sure it was juvenile but it was theraputic.
Quote by Miss G
A lot of people I hang out with are in death metal hardcore type bands

Quote by Miss G
When your close minded about the music you listen to of course your going to be close minded about instruments.

I don't know, One of the guitarists in my band (actually, the one who really likes bass) is pretty much only into metal, especially viking and death metal, and he's really open minded about instruments.

Also, one of my guitarist friends recently told me (he was complaining about being asked to play bass at a school event), "I think asking guitar players to play bass is offensive, especially to bassists. It's like saying bass is the same thing as guitar, and if you can play guitar you can play bass. I really like good bassists, and they're hard to come by." (He wasn't saying that guitarists shouldn't or can't play bass, he doesn't play bass at all). And he thinks pretty much all music made after the 1970's is s****y.

Also, I do agree, not having respect for any instrument is immature.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP