Hello, well for a little while every since i started playing chords if i remember correctly, my index finger's joints have been hurting like hell. Now i have a theory that it is because i play the A chord incorrectly. I press down instead of the 1,2,3 fingers, i just press and barre (SP?) it with my index finger. The reason is i am much more accurate with it and it is very difficult to squeeze 3 fingers into that one fret. Now this again is my theory, and i have only been playing for a month so perhaps there are some more experienced players that may explain it.

Rock on!
Most guitar players will play it both of those ways depending on the situation.

PAIN IS GOOD.
Quote by Tommy Walker
PAIN IS GOOD.

Wrong. Pain is your body's way of saying you're doing it wrong.

TS: Personally I'm not a fan of fretting an A chord with your index finger; have you tried fretting it with your 2, 3 and 4 fingers rather than the 1, 2 and 3 way you've been doing it already? Personally I think it's a better way as it's basically the way I fret an A shape barre but with the barre replaced by the nut. Try that and see if it helps.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wrong. Pain is your body's way of saying you're doing it wrong.

TS: Personally I'm not a fan of fretting an A chord with your index finger; have you tried fretting it with your 2, 3 and 4 fingers rather than the 1, 2 and 3 way you've been doing it already? Personally I think it's a better way as it's basically the way I fret an A shape barre but with the barre replaced by the nut. Try that and see if it helps.

I absolutely agree. Technique is about playing in the most comfortable way that won't inhibit your tone. For any of the A shape chords I use my 3rd and 4th finger to make the three-note bar by hyperextending (flattening) the end knuckle on my 3rd finger to hit the D and G strings. That's what is comfortable for me.

If you don't care about hearing the high e string then you can just play it like a power chord but hit the b string as well (assuming, of course, if it is more comfortable for you).
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
alright thanks for the a chord suggestions, but i still have this really weird pain when i play in my index fingers joints from middle down. Most guitarists i know and talked to dont have that weird pain.
Well, some situations you won't want to barre the open A chord, for examples acoustic strumming, where you may want the open first string to sound. OTOH standard way of playing the open A chord for rockers is to barre with index finger. There's a lot of real basic licks and riffs you can't do any other way. Some examples:

--------
-2--3--
-2--2--
-2--4--
-0--0--
-------

---------
-----2--
-----2--
-----2--
-----0--
-3b----

note: I am only talking about the open A chord, not A shape barre chords, which like someone else above mentioned are normally played by barreing the ring or pinky across the 2nd-4th strings.
Hey dude.

Unfortunately when learning guitar, or new techinques for guitar, you are going to get aches and pains cause let's face it - our hands weren't made to play guitar. However when learning new chords I haven't heard of a pain from the middle of a finger down. I'm going to assume it's because you're pushing down those 3 strings whilst leaving the high e string open, causing your index finger to be on an extreme angle. You're going to have to find and easier way to hold those strings down. Unless of course you're recieving pain on other chords as well, which just sounds like a bad sign to me :P

As others have noted above you can effectively barre the chord, or use your 2,3,4 fingers to hold the strings down. The problem with the former is that the high e string will not be available (also said above), whilst the problem with the latter is that you are still learning and probably don't have proper power or control in the pinky yet.

You have mentioned that it's hard to fit the 1,2,3 fingers in that fret to hold the strings down. I'd have to agree, and played it that way for years, despite being uncomfortable.

My suggestion would be to attempt to hold the strings down with the finger pattern 2,1,3 instead of 1,2,3. It's easier for me to play it this way, may be easier for you too.
your fingers won't be able to squeeze into one fret yet, but no-one's fingers can after only a month, I'd just seriously suggest practising over and over with your first second and third finger (or 2,3,4 as someone has already mentioned).

As for people saying it's wrong you have aches and pains, I had them for months when learning accoustic/power chords but then they just went and I've been fine for 2 and a half years and I don't think they're coming back, so don't be put off by that.

Just keep practising, playing guitar is a bitch like that
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Quote by 24fretsftw
As for people saying it's wrong you have aches and pains, I had them for months when learning accoustic/power chords but then they just went and I've been fine for 2 and a half years and I don't think they're coming back, so don't be put off by that.

The question is what kind of pain. The TS specifically said joint pain which is never good, the pain of wearing calluses into your fingers is perfectly normal, yes, but anything else is bad.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by simplekin88
Hello, well for a little while every since i started playing chords if i remember correctly, my index finger's joints have been hurting like hell. Now i have a theory that it is because i play the A chord incorrectly. I press down instead of the 1,2,3 fingers, i just press and barre (SP?) it with my index finger. The reason is i am much more accurate with it and it is very difficult to squeeze 3 fingers into that one fret. Now this again is my theory, and i have only been playing for a month so perhaps there are some more experienced players that may explain it.

Rock on!

The first thing I thought when I saw the title was - DEFINITELY

Your technique means everything. Either that or your neck is too thick for your little hands, but I would doubt that. Try pointing your writs outward, inward, or even a little sideways. Because if it's too far in any direction, It will become a little saw mate.

Do not barre the fret if another string has a lower note on it, because remember this and DO NOT FORGET IT

THE HIGHEST NOTE DOMINATES, meaning that if you have your finger on fret 2 for example, then you barre the 4th, the 4th is the note you will hear because it is higher.

Anyway not the point of the thread. I suggest that you point your neck upward more, it gives your fingers more reach. I was learning to Play the pretender-foo fighters, and it had a simple chord, but then on the 1st string my index had to reach over to the 5th fret from 10. I couldn't so i tilt my neck up, place my other fingers in place, then reach my index, and wallah, It reaches. Try this as it gives your fingers more space. Perhaps adjusting strap. Also do not do this sitting down, it's pretty much hopeless on your ass
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Quote by toeinator
Do not barre the fret if another string has a lower note on it, because remember this and DO NOT FORGET IT

THE HIGHEST NOTE DOMINATES, meaning that if you have your finger on fret 2 for example, then you barre the 4th, the 4th is the note you will hear because it is higher.

What are you talking about?

When you say "highest note" most people will think you mean higher in pitch. Took me a minute to realize you were talking about higher meaning string number.

But that's confusing too. The lowest string is the 6th string, the highest string is the 1st string.

But most of all, when you think about it what you are saying is that a guitarist should never barre, because one of the strings will sound more dominant then another.